Dangling Lights and Accessories - How to Secure???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrChen

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I carry a dive light with me on every dive. I've used this technique from DiveGearExpress.com to attach a clip (How to Attach a Snap - Dive Gear Express). But I can't stand having the light dangle from my d-ring. Sometimes I tuck it under my shoulder strap, but this gets uncomfortable.

I've read several threads where divers talk about using bungee cord, elastic tubing, or inner tubes to secure their flashlights from dangling. What I can't find is more detailed information on doing this. For example, if I used a bungee cord, how do I secure the bungee to my bc? Or do you just do a loop and tie it off and stretch it over the light? What kind of knot?

I have some extra bungee cord, so I'm looking for advice on how to set this up.

The DIR way, IIRC, is a piece of bicycle tube around the webbing of the BP/W. A bit awkward to fix if you have another kind of shoulder strap, as we have with other types of BCDs. I have a back inflate BCD, and I've tied a loop of bungee (using a fisherman's knot) around the shoulder strap and stuffed the front end of the backup light inside it. Works like a charm.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

Last edited:
My dive rite transplate came with a little velcro "strap" that goes around the backside of the webbing on your shoulder. I clip the bottom of the light off on the d-ring with a suicide clip and attach that velcro strap thingy around the top of the light. You could probably easily use a piece of bungee or a bike tire. I don't understand why you'd want to got the bike tire route when bungees cost less than a buck for something so small, and bike tires would cost more.

pic here: IMG_20140309_145336_835.jpg

I also keep a second light in a hip pouch.

I don't understand why you'd want to got the bike tire route when bungees cost less than a buck for something so small, and bike tires would cost more.

A: It's not bike tire, it's a piece of bike inner tubing. Two different things.

B: I don't know 'bout you, but I've got at least half a dozen spent bike inner tubes littering the workbench in my garage. Pieces of inner tubing are useful for a lot more than just diving related stuff. And for a cost 100% lower than "less than a buck"...

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

I appreciate the photo. I dive an Apeks Black Ice BCD and on the left shoulder is a velcro strap for my inflator hose. I wish I could find one to put on my right shoulder.

So DIR uses the inner tube? How think do you cut it? I have a few old tubes laying around which never got used. I wouldn't have any problems getting one on the should strap of my BCD.

I'll try the bungee first with the fisherman's knot since I have bungee cord to play with.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

You cut rings out of the inner tube like a cross section, take the strap apart, and slide it over the strap. You may have to remove any padding on it so that it's only going over the webbing. Some BC's you may not be able to do this with. In that case sell the BC and buy a BPW. As for inner tubes I have bike shops around me. All I do around this time of year when everyone is bringing their bike in for service is drop in and ask if they have any old tubes. The trick is to get out of there without them filling the car with them.

In case it wasn't made clear by Jim's explanation, what you essentially get when you cut of a piece of inner tube is a wide rubber band. The head of the flashlight goes through it, keeping the light tight to the strap. I suggest that you put two of them on there. You only use one, but if that one breaks, you have its replacement ready to go.

You cut rings out of the inner tube like a cross section, take the strap apart, and slide it over the strap. You may have to remove any padding on it so that it's only going over the webbing. Some BC's you may not be able to do this with. In that case sell the BC and buy a BPW. As for inner tubes I have bike shops around me. All I do around this time of year when everyone is bringing their bike in for service is drop in and ask if they have any old tubes. The trick is to get out of there without them filling the car with them.

I'll move to a BPW one day, I just can't justify spending the money after having just bought all my gear within the last 1.5 years. Luckily my shoulder straps have a quick release, so it's easy to add accessories. Thanks for the tips. About how wide of a cut? 1 inch?

---------- Post added March 9th, 2014 at 07:41 PM ----------

NESS has a slider with eyelets for bungie.. Nice for this.

Utility Keeper - 2 to a set - Northeast Scuba Supply Store

That's pretty cool.

---------- Post added March 9th, 2014 at 07:48 PM ----------

In case it wasn't made clear by Jim's explanation, what you essentially get when you cut of a piece of inner tube is a wide rubber band. The head of the flashlight goes through it, keeping the light tight to the strap. I suggest that you put two of them on there. You only use one, but if that one breaks, you have its replacement ready to go.

Great idea!

---------- Post added March 9th, 2014 at 07:59 PM ----------

Jim, I'm confused by your website. Do you just have a LDS or are you an online retailer or both? I was looking at the Manta Utility Keeper and it send me to an external site rather than a way to add one to a cart.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom