DCS questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

great responses obviously im not experienced, dont have to be insulting it was my first dive after being certified... i hired a charter i have no equipment I assumed everything needed would be provided. not an idiot, just a hypochondriac, thanks for the reassurance. and how would more training or experience help me it was a simple dive besides the low vis which didnt bother me what so ever.

Don't think there was any insults, think those are factual. get more experience. your going to be in low vis, don't panic, as long as your breathing your good.

Do you know what kind of tank you were using?

The 3000 psi starting point suggests it was an Al80. If you used 2500 psi out of an 80, you used about 63 cubic feet of gas. Being at 30 feet, you were at 2 ATA. If you spent 63 minutes at that depth, you used 1 cf of gas per minute, which at 2 ATA would give you a surface air consumption rate of .5 cf/min. That's an EXTREMELY good consumption rate for a new diver -- so much so that I highly doubt it was what you were doing. My guess is that the dive was shorter than that.

But at any rate, if you did do two 60 minute dives, even without any surface interval at all (and I suspect your SI was longer than 15 minutes, because I know I would have a hard time getting back on a boat and getting my tanks swapped out that fast), you'd still be WAY within the 205 minute no deco limit for 35 feet.

I would be willing to go out on a limb and say that it's extremely unlikely that any of your symptoms are related to decompression sickness.

OP you state you were in a group of 5. What about a buddy or team diving? If you were with a group why did you have to surface to find the boat?

I am not sure training is the issue. Rather proper equipment. At the very least a depth gauge and compass. A timer, even a watch will be better than nothing.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post Merged at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:34 PM ----------

Don't think there was any insults, think those are factual. get more experience. your going to be in low vis, don't panic, as long as your breathing your good.

obviously you haven't understood this thread very well at all. There was no panic involved, ill say it again the low vis did not cause any issues what so ever. I expected low vis and went into it knowing about the low vis. what caused the issue is I had no bottom timer or depth gauge. so again, experience really wasn't a factor besides influencing my personal decision to dive with no timer or depth gauge, as the dive master and captain were reassuring me that I would not need either.

---------- Post Merged at 01:41 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:34 PM ----------

Do you know what kind of tank you were using?

The 3000 psi starting point suggests it was an Al80. If you used 2500 psi out of an 80, you used about 63 cubic feet of gas. Being at 30 feet, you were at 2 ATA. If you spent 63 minutes at that depth, you used 1 cf of gas per minute, which at 2 ATA would give you a surface air consumption rate of .5 cf/min. That's an EXTREMELY good consumption rate for a new diver -- so much so that I highly doubt it was what you were doing. My guess is that the dive was shorter than that.

But at any rate, if you did do two 60 minute dives, even without any surface interval at all (and I suspect your SI was longer than 15 minutes, because I know I would have a hard time getting back on a boat and getting my tanks swapped out that fast), you'd still be WAY within the 205 minute no deco limit for 35 feet.

I would be willing to go out on a limb and say that it's extremely unlikely that any of your symptoms are related to decompression sickness.

Finally someone is applying a little knowledge to the topic lol... I used air faster than the 2 other people in my class during my OW certification dives. I think you are right, as of now I have no symptoms and I feel fine. Which leads me to believe there was no dcs involved.

---------- Post Merged at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:34 PM ----------

---------- Post Merged at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:34 PM ----------

OP you state you were in a group of 5. What about a buddy or team diving? If you were with a group why did you have to surface to find the boat?

I am not sure training is the issue. Rather proper equipment. At the very least a depth gauge and compass. A timer, even a watch will be better than nothing.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

I made the decision to dive without a buddy. I was dragging a float behind me the whole time, a buddy is not necessarily required in the type of diving I was doing, although the dive master offered to buddy up with me, which in hindsight may have been a good decision. and yes I will at the least have a timer the next time I go.

I'm a new diver so take this for what it's worth. I would be sitting on the boat if I rented gear and it didn't have a computer or depth gauge. Not having a buddy would be another mark in the "don't dive" column for me.

I'm not dogging you for doing the dive. Just saying all those variables being changed would have put me too far out of my comfort zone.

I'm a new diver so take this for what it's worth. I would be sitting on the boat if I rented gear and it didn't have a computer or depth gauge. Not having a buddy would be another mark in the "don't dive" column for me.

I'm not dogging you for doing the dive. Just saying all those variables being changed would have put me too far out of my comfort zone.
The type of diving I was doing requires no buddy. Only 2 out of 5 in the group were buddied up. I expected to not have a computer but the no depth gauge did throw me off.. But with reassurance I decided it wasn't risky as it was flat bottom and the depth doesn't change the bottom is more or less flat.

The type of diving I was doing requires no buddy.
Don't ever think that again, please! Some very experienced divers have had their lives saved by buddies on shallower dives. Some are no longer with the living. Don't buy into that trap.

No buddy, no timing device, no depth gauge!!!! You really have no idea of the depth you were at or time- we can make no assumptions of the DCS risk of this dive because you were diving with yourself- you say the others in the "group" stayed shallow but they were not with you. I did a dive yesterday off our boat me and my team (3 divers) stayed at 60ft max, one other group went to 120ft, while the third group stayed no deeper than 30ft - all off the same anchored boat and all returned to the same boat. You can not use the depth gauge on someones elses rig to tell your depth for a dive especially if you are not diving together. I have lead divers on dives and the max depths of the buddy teams have differed by over 15 -20ft at times. Not sure which charter you were on on where but giving a newly certified diver gear w/o a depth gauge or timer and then allowing them to dive solo is a bit crazy - I would not be using that charter service again.

---------- Post Merged at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:34 PM ----------

obviously you haven't understood this thread very well at all. There was no panic involved, ill say it again the low vis did not cause any issues what so ever. I expected low vis and went into it knowing about the low vis. what caused the issue is I had no bottom timer or depth gauge. so again, experience really wasn't a factor besides influencing my personal decision to dive with no timer or depth gauge, as the dive master and captain were reassuring me that I would not need either.

Your experience speaks for itself....I understand your tread perfectly, your trying to somehow defend your weak experience, and go out ILL equipped an with no buddy, and looks like your end result was a good experience for new divers, and instructors on what a text book shouldn't do.

---------- Post Merged at 01:41 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:34 PM ----------

Finally someone is applying a little knowledge to the topic lol... I used air faster than the 2 other people in my class during my OW certification dives. I think you are right, as of now I have no symptoms and I feel fine. Which leads me to believe there was no dcs involved.

also appears several instructors have chimed in and stated the same in less words..but you got all angry over your bad day in the water...
---------- Post Merged at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:34 PM ----------

---------- Post Merged at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:34 PM ----------

I made the decision to dive without a buddy. I was dragging a float behind me the whole time, a buddy is not necessarily required in the type of diving I was doing, although the dive master offered to buddy up with me, which in hindsight may have been a good decision. and yes I will at the least have a timer the next time I go.

seem to remember in the OW course of always having a buddy....I don't think your experience level dictates if you "THINK" you should have had a buddy or not. why were you dragging the float?

---------- Post Merged at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:08 PM ----------

No buddy, no timing device, no depth gauge!!!! You really have no idea of the depth you were at or time- we can make no assumptions of the DCS risk of this dive because you were diving with yourself- you say the others in the "group" stayed shallow but they were not with you. I did a dive yesterday off our boat me and my team (3 divers) stayed at 60ft max, one other group went to 120ft, while the third group stayed no deeper than 30ft - all off the same anchored boat and all returned to the same boat. You can not use the depth gauge on someones elses rig to tell your depth for a dive especially if you are not diving together. I have lead divers on dives and the max depths of the buddy teams have differed by over 15 -20ft at times. Not sure which charter you were on on where but giving a newly certified diver gear w/o a depth gauge or timer and then allowing them to dive solo is a bit crazy - I would not be using that charter service again.

this is from a VERY EXPERIENCED DIVER!!!!

what caused the issue is I had no bottom timer or depth gauge. so again, experience really wasn't a factor besides influencing my personal decision to dive with no timer or depth gauge, as the dive master and captain were reassuring me that I would not need either.

If you really believe that bottom timers, depth gauges, and buddies are optional parts of diving, I think you need to redo your training and take it much more seriously this time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom