DCS questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

. . .
I was fully aware of what I was doing and I made a SAFE DIVE!!!!!
. . .

What certification agency's guidelines would categorize this dive as a "safe" one? I need to know, so that I will never take a course from that agency.

@gwbh: what you're saying about your depth and bottom time makes logical sense from a certain perspective. There's almost no way to get bent in 30 feet of water, so why track your bottom time? If you positively know the depth, why use a depth gauge? The point that's being made here is that it may make logical sense to an inexperienced diver, but it doesn't make procedural sense to a whole lot of experienced divers.

You fight like you train. With your relatively low level of experience, it's especially important to develop good diving habits now, so when you move on to more challenging dives, the habits are already in place. There are certain pieces of equipment that are considered mandatory for every dive, no matter how short and/or shallow; a depth gauge and bottom timer are among those.

From your posts it seems that you've taken the advice given here to heart, i.e you've voiced your plans to buy and use a dive computer. I recommend using a bottom timer and depth gauge as backup.

I wish you safe diving, and may we never meet professionally :wink:

@ those who would continue bashing the OP: may I humbly suggest that he's learned his lesson?

Best regards,
DDM

Last edited:
Ok, now you attracted real experts! :eek: Thanks, DDM

while I tend to agree that a bottom timer and depth guage were not critical pieces of equipment on the dive described, I also agree with DDM's point that it is important to develop good habits.

I think there have been a few somewhat rude comments on this thread, and I don't intend mine to be one of them, but as for the lack of a buddy, you are probably correct to some extent. I mean, if your reg went into a free flow, you would just go to the surface and be fine. However, you mentioned you were towing a dive flag, what if you got tangled up in the line and couldn't reach your cutting tool? did you have a cutting tool? what if your BC failed?

My point is merely that it is difficult to predict what a buddy may be useful for on a dive, but a buddy is pretty much always useful in an out of the ordinary situation.

Back
Top Bottom