DCS questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are clearly on your way to knowing everything. Most in your shoes change their profile to "i'm a fish" or "i just don't log dives" and then pontificate about deep air diving. Should you choose a different path I'd suggest getting better dive training, a timing device and depth gauge. Dan insurance would be a good idea, but you seem to dismiss good ideas.

Most in your shoes change their profile to "i'm a fish" or "i just don't log dives"
:lol:​

This is another example of the divers that rent gear for there friends to try diving cause... they got certed..so it's instructor level

gwbh, one of the things that keeps divers safe over time is maintaining a healthy respect for the water and the risks of diving.

The original post was eyebrow-raising, because someone who has been through a certification class should have had some resources to analyse the question. But as things have gone on, I've become more and more worried about you -- either your OW instructor didn't do a good job of instilling respect for diving into you, or perhaps you are diving without having done a class. If the latter, please go get some instruction, because it is clear from this thread that there are quite a few things that you ought to know, that you don't.

Don't ever think that again, please! Some very experienced divers have had their lives saved by buddies on shallower dives. Some are no longer with the living. Don't buy into that trap.

I rescued a buddy that was in a full blown panic on a relatively routine shore dive. Complacency and some poor decisions before the entry almost ended in disaster.
He's been diving since the 60's.........

You are clearly on your way to knowing everything. Most in your shoes change their profile to "i'm a fish" or "i just don't log dives" and then pontificate about deep air diving. Should you choose a different path I'd suggest getting better dive training, a timing device and depth gauge. Dan insurance would be a good idea, but you seem to dismiss good ideas.

DITTO mdax

:banghead:

And towing a flag does nothing but give boaters a moving target!

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

I made this thread because of the DCS question. I do appreciate the concerned individuals who have my safety in mind but I would appreciate if people would refrain from making comments about the dive and stick to the DCS topic. And anyway yesterday it was confirmed by a physician no DCS....

You are all entitled to your opinions but you people that are jumping on my case really have no right. here's the reality of my deadly dive that was such a mistake to participate in. THE MAX DEPTH WAS 30 FT I KNOW THIS FOR AN ABSOLUTE FACT.. I KNOW THE AREA I DOVE VERY WELL. IT IS FLAT AND IT TAKES MILES GOING TOWARD THE HORIZON FOR IT TO START GETTING DEEPER. So... I will defend to the end the fact that it was ok ( IN THIS PARTICULAR CASE) to not have a depth gauge.. Same thing with the timer AS I KNEW THE MAX BOTTOM DEPTH WAS 30 FT I could stay under at that depth for 205 MINUTES AND NOT GO OVER NDL. Do you think that 2 80 cf tanks would last that long at 30 ft? NO THERE IS NO POSSIBLE WAY I COULD MAKE THOSE 2 TANKS LAST THAT LONG THATS OVER 3 HOURS. so the not having a timer( IN THIS PARTICULAR CASE) DID NOT CAUSE A HAZARD. even if i did have a timer on this dive I wouldnt even have to look at it if i didnt want to BECAUSE I WOULD RUN OUT OF AIR FIRST.
starting to get the picture?

I was fully aware of what I was doing and I made a SAFE DIVE!!!!!

please dont mistake my attitude for arrogance. I have the utmost respect for the dangers of diving, and I realize what can go wrong underwater. but I made a decsion to dive anyway and despite what you people have said, I still believe I made safe decision

---------- Post Merged at 06:50 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:47 AM ----------

This is another example of the divers that rent gear for there friends to try diving cause... they got certed..so it's instructor level

this makes no sense

Last edited:
GWBH, this thread is a mess. I support everything said here except your posts. Dude, (or dudette) get more training, or follow the training you had. No, you were not bent. It's nearly impossible to get bent at 30' or 35' with an AL80. At your level, if you're diving in your bathtub you should have a buddy. "the type of diving we were doing didn't require a buddy". You know how many people I've seen over the last 20 years who got seriously screwed up in 15' of water, with no buddy to help them?

The mere fact that you were willing to A. jump in the water with inadequate gear (no timer, no depth gauge) B. Do so without a buddy; shows us just how far off the mark you are. I wanted to stick up for you, but as I read more and more of your posts, you just solidified the stance that you REALLY don't have a clue how unsafe your diving is. I'm not trying to beat you up, and we want you to have fun and be safe.

So to recap: You're not bent. You screwed up. Next time use proper gear, and take a good buddy with you. Peace Out!

GWBH, this thread is a mess. I support everything said here except your posts. Dude, (or dudette) get more training, or follow the training you had. No, you were not bent. It's nearly impossible to get bent at 30' or 35' with an AL80. At your level, if you're diving in your bathtub you should have a buddy. "the type of diving we were doing didn't require a buddy". You know how many people I've seen over the last 20 years who got seriously screwed up in 15' of water, with no buddy to help them?

The mere fact that you were willing to A. jump in the water with inadequate gear (no timer, no depth gauge) B. Do so without a buddy; shows us just how far off the mark you are. I wanted to stick up for you, but as I read more and more of your posts, you just solidified the stance that you REALLY don't have a clue how unsafe your diving is. I'm not trying to beat you up, and we want you to have fun and be safe.

So to recap: You're not bent. You screwed up. Next time use proper gear, and take a good buddy with you. Peace Out!

I respect how long you have been diving and I realize what you are saying, but can you tell me how a depth gauge or a timer would have saved my life in this situation? what could have happened to me that a depth gauge and a timer could have prevented a catastrophe in this dive? please explain this to me... you all keep saying how much of a mistake it was but use some common sense, the way i wrote the first post sounds alarming, but I didnt explain the dive at all i was just worried about DCS. all i keep hearing is people talking about the gauge and timer, read my last post, I would never dive any other time without those things but I planned on not having these things on this dive because I knew the bottom depth is an UNCHANGING 30 ft. Ill admit you may be right about the buddy thing, but literally thousands of people dive where I was every year without a buddy without incident and as I said only 2 out of 6 people were buddied up in that dive.

Last edited:
this makes no sense
Just to clarify, what certification cards do you have...?

literally thousands of people dive where I was every year without a buddy without incident
It may be common for the site, but don't buy into the idea.

and as I said only 2 out of 6 people were buddied up in that dive.
Yeah, it happens a lot on DM lead dives. Still not a good idea. The other not so good idea is boat-pick buds, but it is best to dive with a bud and following your training - so don't try to defend your solo diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom