Deep Air Training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daniel f aleman:
Nope. He had other problems. Sad case that one.
Dude, check out post 7 in This guy?. Hubris & Deep & Air = DEAD. Of course, in YOUR situation we can modify this a bit... Hubris & Deep & Air & DENIAL = ???

But just to get this straight, you believe that deep air is SAFE???

"What if your dive plan was to dive a wall to 100 fsw on air or EAN 32? Let's say a downdraft or a bladder malfunction dropped your buddy to 150 fsw. Potentially now there is a higher level of adrenaline, anxiety, as well as narcosis involved."

I am suprised that nobody said anything about this senario. MOD on EAN 32 at a 1.6 PPO2 is 132.

If you dropped down to 150ft on EAN 32, you would be recieving affects of Oxygen Toxicity, which a way larger problem than narcosis.

Basically Deep Air training, is really intended to go in hand with Advanced Nitrox. To really see the benefit of Advanced Nitrox, you start getting close to decompression, if not into decompression. Truly you really need depth to get into deco, yes yes i know that you actually don't, but if you add in the factor of your air supply you usually cant get into deco 100 ft or shallower.

Advanced Nitrox is the prerequiste for Trimix, why would you certify somebody with a new gas to go deep, without understand Oxygen to the fullest point?

This is atleast my understanding of why people take deep air course at the present timie. 15 years ago, the reason was probably completely different, at that time mixed gases wasn't the norm, so they probably taught the class to become aware of the affects of narcosis. Just my .02

NetDoc:
How many times have you encountered a diver at 150 fsw, on a wall that has somehow hit their head?

Not very often...how often has an experienced diver run out of air needing to share his buddies air...yet we practice for that.

S. starfish:
If unexpectedly dropping from 100 to 150ft due to bc failure or downwelling currents is a concern for you I think it would be more prudent to review your weighting, equipment maintinence, and dive skills and emergency proceedures. It seems to me that going to 188ft on air is really exposing you and your buddy to high and unecesary risk.

One can be correctly weighted and drop due to downwelling. Missing in some of these arguments is that things do happen. The question is what do you do when they happen?

This scenario doesn't concern me any more than any other potential scenario. Some Scenarios are commonly practiced and some aren't.

gcbryan:
One can be correctly weighted and drop due to downwelling. Missing in some of these arguments is that things do happen. The question is what do you do when they happen?

You kick away from the reef or your claw your way up.

TheRedHead:
You kick away from the reef or your claw your way up.[/QUOTE]

...or you could inflate your BC.....

Seadeuce

Seadeuce:
TheRedHead:
You kick away from the reef or your claw your way up.[/QUOTE]

...or you could inflate your BC.....

Seadeuce

May not help, at least in Cozumel.

gcbryan:
Not very often...how often has an experienced diver run out of air needing to share his buddies air...yet we practice for that.
I can recall over a DOZEN times where an experienced diver ran out or were so low on air that they grabbed an octo. Now, if we were to do a search on SB for actual OOA scenarios, the numbers would be far higher. That being said, I can't remember one instance where this has happened in my vicinity and I can remember no such report here on SB.

So why practice for something that will endanger the students when the incidence seems to be negligible? In contrast, sharing air is a skill many divers are likely to use and it poses no such risk.

May not help, at least in Cozumel[/

It did for me, albeit not in Coz., but clawing was not an option at that site.

One need to be correctly weighted though, to have the benefit of all the lift available from the jacket.

Not something that you would easily forget ..

Seadeuce

Blackwood:
I'd just suggest that at least one member of your dive team be on Mix for each diver on Air.
What do you expect to accomplish with this? I suggest the whole team be on the same, and correct gas for the depth of the dive being conducted....

Back
Top Bottom