Deep6 reg breathing wet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@happy-diver is so creative, that I just have to fight with him and Rose! :D

I'm trying to recall how long it took for the President of Scubapro to answer the phone when I called for help with
1) the Mk17 with a big bubble under the environmental diaphragm seal
2) the OTHER Mk17 that arrived with both a bubble there, and an undertorqued main diaphragm
3) the D420 that arrived with the Mk19s, but was freeflowing.

Oh yeah. I remember. He didn't answer. But a very helpful chat bot told me I could take the factory's QC problems to my dive shop, and THEY'D take care of me. Yeah, the big, famous manufacturers do a much better job than the little guys. At least DGX is honest enough to say that "we have no idea whether your gear will work out of the box."

Except that Chris and Deep6 offer to teach me how to fix his gear myself, AND sell me parts without my having to do a "wink, wink" deal with my dive shop (if they want to continue getting my business).

I'm trying to recall how long it took for the President of Scubapro to answer the phone when I called for help with
1) the Mk17 with a big bubble under the environmental diaphragm seal
2) the OTHER Mk17 that arrived with both a bubble there, and an undertorqued main diaphragm
3) the D420 that arrived with the Mk19s, but was freeflowing.

Oh yeah. I remember. He didn't answer. But a very helpful chat bot told me I could take the factory's QC problems to my dive shop, and THEY'D take care of me. Yeah, the big, famous manufacturers do a much better job than the little guys. At least DGX is honest enough to say that "we have no idea whether your gear will work out of the box."

Except that Chris and Deep6 offer to teach me how to fix his gear myself, AND sells me parts without my having to do a "wink, wink" deal with my dive shop (if they want to continue getting my business).
Multiple shops (3) screwing up servicing on my SP MK25 Evo / S600 combo is part of the reason I switched to Deep 6. It got old. This isn't a comment about SP, but rather the issues with dive shops having monkeys work on customer regs.

I'd rather that monkey be me.

Maybe you are a monkey but I am an ape. No tail.

Fellow tinkerer, I'm just siding with those with no balls that have the courage of their convictions to dispute

A couple of hours ago I rang a Scubapro tech looking for a bcd valve flange for someone on here
and I had my answers the part number the price and the part available in two minutes plus post

and I'm knowone, but the tech could see me smiling, truth, justice, and the Australian way

To provide an update.

I don't know why I never tried before but diving yesterday and reg was still breathing wet, I turned the venturi setting off during the dive and instantly the reg was dry. Whole rest of dive it stayed dry. I flipped the switch a few times and it was instantly noticeable. This doesn't occur on my backup reg which I also tested, it stays dry with venturi on or off.

I chatted with my dive buddy and neither of us could understand why this would be the case. Any insight?

Pneumatically, there is no reason this should cause wet breathing. The increased negative pressure inside the reg body with Venturi action should make no difference with seals.

It might theoretically bring on a leak that was hidden at ambient pressure, like a mouthpiece tear, or exhaust valve flaw, but I'm really reaching here, because compared with the negative pressure test you already performed, the negative pressure with Venturi is negligible. Unless there's a tiny leak that gives you wet breathing, but your negative pressure check was strong enough to pull the leaking part (?exhaust valve?) sealed shut.

The only other thing I can think of is a mechanical issue related to venturi sleeve position. The sleeve is an injection molded part with a tiny seam. I guess it's possible that there is a seal failure with the single oring in one position but not the other. You could test this with a gentle negative pressure check in each Venturi lever position.

Very weird.

Multiple shops (3) screwing up servicing on my SP MK25 Evo / S600 combo is part of the reason I switched to Deep 6. It got old. This isn't a comment about SP, but rather the issues with dive shops having monkeys work on customer regs.

I'd rather that monkey be me.
Hi! your using deep6 regs, i am debating on getting the signatures, or the HOG D3... wondering how those d6 are working for you...<TG>

Hi! your using deep6 regs, i am debating on getting the signatures, or the HOG D3... wondering how those d6 are working for you...<TG>
I have no experience with the HOGs. I know of many divers who are happy with them, so I cannot compare. In terms of performance, the Deep 6 signature regs perform equally well (I've only been down to a little bit deeper than 200 feet) as the Atomic M1, ScubaPro S600/MK25 Evo, Apeks XTX50 all that I used to own (still have the Apeks that I've been meaning to sell). All great regs, but why pay more? And I like to service myself. Deep 6 supports me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom