Deploying soon...how to store equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wrecks30

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So here's the deal, I am a newer diver and I am deploying to Afghanistan soon, I need to know the best way to store my gear while im gone. I have the basics, 2 tanks, reg, BC, computer and wetsuit, nothing fancy. the gear has only seen the water Approx. 20 times. Also, would i need to have it serviced when I return in 12 months? Thanks in advance. :D

I would make sure everything was clean and dry, hang the wetsuit in a closet, and store the other stuff in one of those big plastic tubs with a tight-fitting lid. Make sure the cylinder valves are fully closed and lay them on their sides. Everything should be stored in a cool dark place: Plastic and rubber do not like heat, sunlight or ozone.

After 12 months everything should be still fine, but you will need to VIP the tanks and I would have the regs checked out.

Hang the wetsuit on a wetsuit hanger from your LDS.

Steel tanks or aluminum tanks?

A). Steel - keep them pressurized
B). Aluminum - 500 PSI

I store my tanks upright - Steel & Aluminum

+1 on the Ozone/Heat/Sunlight.

All the best on your deployment. Thanks for the service. Keep in touch on the board when your incountry in Afganistan.

Looks like you got all the advice you need, so good luck in the sand box and thanks for your service.

Additionally, recommend rubbing down all silicone parts with food grade silicone spray. All the silicone parts should be soft & supple before being put up. (hoses, masks, BC inflation hose)

Recommend keeping everything at room temp under heat & air.

Godspeed keep safe. You got all good advice here. Store in cool,dark,dry place, suit(s) hanging, tanks pressurized, standing upright. Silicone spray from dive shop not auto parts store, spray on all rubber, hoses, regs, fins, marks, consoles.......lube zippers, stick disposable drinking cups with the bottoms cut out in the ankle part of the boots and the wrist part of the gloves keeps the shape and lets air flow. Do something to protect the shape of the foot pocket of your fins.

My gear was stored for more than 10 years like this, I'm using most of it today. The wet suit shrunk!:wink:

Last edited:
Why "hang" a wetsuit? Roll or fold up and put into a plastic bag. I've got several of them that I store in this fashion with no problems at all. Regs go in a sealed cardboard box and the rest of the stuff in the back of the closet.

All good advice on the storage techniques, and I can't add a thing other than to disassemble your dive knife (if you use one and it can be taken apart), clean it thoroughly and give it a light oiling.

Please accept my heartfelt thanks for your service. God go with you, bless you and keep you and your brothers and sisters in arms safe. As said before, keep in touch with us here at SB during your deployment when you have access to a computer. It's not diving, but it does help scratch the itch to get underwater to some extent!

Why "hang" a wetsuit? Roll or fold up and put into a plastic bag. I've got several of them that I store in this fashion with no problems at all. Regs go in a sealed cardboard box and the rest of the stuff in the back of the closet.

So ya don't need to iron it. Is that why mine shrunk?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom