Descend with snorkel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an air 2 and once grabbed the snorkle in OOA practice. Realized it immediately by the feel and actually laughed at my own stupidity as I changed to the air 2.

I'd have a really hard time doing that as it's folded up in my BC pocket :)

yes, many times in the pool and in open water

i generally don't carry a snorkel anymore in open water unless i want it for some reason

haha, i do the same thing with my snorkel while abalone diving

...begin to inhale, feel the water in the snorkel, oops...

Vtdiver2:
I'd have to have my snorkle with me on a dive to do that.....one less problem to worry about. I have fought the urge to breathe from my snorkle while freediving....telling myself "it's snorkle idiot, don't breathe" over and over.
C-Dawg

mcclete22:
Not yet, but I haven't been diving all too long. I bet it is one scary feeling though.

Not scary... Just embarrassing and of course, saltwater tastes like whale-piss. Like most people, I keep my snorkel in my boat-bag, but rarely ever use it on an open-water dive.

-Frank

No, but i've dove down and forgot I WAS snorkling, and I can tell you that's one mighty WET breathing piece of equipment once you get to depth! I also used to ( the main reason I quit wearing one of the things) to try to dump air from the BC with mine - that doesn't work any better than trying to use it as a reg, except it'll pull your mask off instead of trying to drowned you.

Not really since it is either in the boat or in the hotel room. However I went down many time without my reg in my mouth, only to realize that I was missing sometime in the few feet of descent. No sweat.
The bigger deal is when you jump of the boat without opening the tank valve. Happened to me once, I still think I opened it and then close it when I was waiting for my buddy to get ready. Thank god I wasn't doing a negative entry. I can tell you that now I make sure I check it twice.
Op

Having never once worn one when diving or dive training i can honestly say i've never done that :)

(Although i have attempted to start a dive forgetting to wear a mask or without replacing my beanie hat with hood and a few other dumb things).

I descended about six feet during a pool session with my snorkel in place. Since it's a dry snorkel I didn't get water but I also didn't immediately identify what went wrong. For a moment I thought I had forgotten to turn my air on. It wasn't a huge deal... figured it out and switched over and all was good. The instructor didn't even notice.

After my second post-certification dive I ditched the snorkel (tired of grabbing it when I was going for my inflator). I'm much happier now and I don't worry about descending with it in place.

Jason

Dumbest thing I've done, so far, and that was to suit up and hop into the pool, sans mask. I said, "Aw, chit," and was preparing to drop my BC and get out of the pool, but my instructor was just laughing at me and said, "Okay, okay. I think you've learned your lesson. Here's your mask."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom