Descend with snorkel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did it once. It's sort of a life-lesson, like when you tell a kid that the stove is hot. It only happens once.

I'm absolutely certain I'll never do it again, since my snorkel now lives in my pocket, unless I'm snorkeling.

Terry

Shadow:
Lots of discussion over snorkel or no snorkel.... Thought I would take the plunge, and start a new thread, not on the merit or lack thereof, but specifically:

Have you ever started your descent with your snorkel in your mouth instead of your regulator?

This is a chance to laugh at yourself (hopefully). I debated on starting this thread in Accidents and Incidents, but that's too serious. Come on, fess up. I can't be the only intelligent person to have experienced this, and lived to tell about it - only anonimously, on this board of course.... Luckily, I noticed very, very quickly that I wasn't getting any air.... and was able to resolve the situation successfully.

Nope havnt done it , but i have gone snorkeling and dive under after ten 20 seconds it just feels so natural to breath underwater and well remembered pretty quick i only had a snorkel

Remember the steps you're supposed to go through when descending? What's the PADI acronym? There's an "R" for regulator. I remember thinking, How could you be that dumb? Well.......

Good to know I'm not alone! But now that I think about it, my buddy, who was looking straight at me, did not notice either that I had my snorkel in my mouth.... I knew that if I thought about it long enough, I could find a way to implicate him - always do!

scubajoh44:
What about descending without a mask?

goofy me!
Did that one day. Had a bad day kept on fogetting things, I got down about 3 feet and noticed that it was real blurry. I usually swim underwater when not scuba diving with my eyes open so it took me a couple of seconds to figure out I forgot my mask. So, I called the dive and went home went through withdrawls of not being able to dive.

Not yet!..BUT, I have mistaken the mouth piece of my snorkel for my inflator. I grabbed it, and raised it over my left shoulder to descend and let air out, but nothing happened; this is where my buddy pissed themselves laughing. I realised what I had done and realised that these snorkel contraptions are useless things. :14:

Web Monkey:
..snip..
It only happens once.
..snip..

Not in my case. :wink:
Of course it doesn't help that I use the same type of anatomical mouthpiece on both my reg and my snorkel so they feel identical in my mouth.

No, I do not recollect ever forgetting the difference between a regulator and my snorkel.

I do not use a snorkel anymore...useless equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom