Descend with snorkel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Topic drifting but does remind me of one highly amusing moment on a boat abroad. The guides generally put their wet suits and kit on in the water as boat croweded. Normally throw kit in, throw suit in, jump in, suit on, kit on. By that time half the customers are ready.

This guide threw his suit in, threw his weight integrated BC in.....and then realised he hadnt put any air in it. The first few lucky customers got to do a search and recovery dive free of charge :)

I did a descent in the pool on snorkel. The minute I tried to breathe it felt wrong, I realized the problem, and very smoothly exchanged the snorkel for the regulator, which we had spent about ten minutes practicing earlier in the session. I felt pretty smug for having handled the problem beautifully.

Until we came up and the instructor lashed into the divemasters and AIs for not having noticed I was doing it, so then everybody got to know how stupid I was. Just part of the fun of OW . . .

I gave up my snorkel when I went to diving a long hose, and I don't miss it. I was always trying to deflate my BC with it before.

No I never have done that but then again I no longer dive with a snorkel. I alomost jumped in the water today without my tank turned on does that count? :D

PS anyone want to buy a snorkel? :D

Descending with snorkel - check! Giant striding without fins - check! Entering water and trying to clear sunglasses by exhaling through nose - check! Adding extra suit during surface interval and forgetting to take extra lead - check! And god knows what else!

Amazing that I'm still diving really!

Am I the only repetitively stupid one then?

I'm really good about my other stuff; never did an entry sans weights, fins, or mask, never descended without my air on or anything like that, but I've probably descended on a snorkel 5 or 6 times, and finally stopped doing it about three months ago.

No big deal; not scary at all, even the first time. Unpleasant, certainly, with a lot of sputtering, coughing, and ego bruising, but nothing serious. I usually know it within the first foot of descending, so I don't even need to swap; just curse, put a little air in my BC, cough, grab reg, go back down.

Not me, Never:05:

I did figure out that once you have used SCUBA the brain begins to think you can breath under water.

That makes a day of snorkeling quite interesting.
At least the first time you dive down to 15 feet and try to take a breath.:11:

But I have never done that...

Fish_Whisperer:
Have you ever noticed that different swear words have different bubble signatures? :11: :evil: :snorkel:

Ya they do, don't they?
I certainly know when my wife is swearing at me:05:

Oh man am I glad to hear others have grabbed their snorkel to deflate their BC. I did that on ascent from the Yukon - my first time in a 7 mil suit. I was trying to dump air but I almost shot to the surface. My buddy grabbed me and I was able to dump air and do the safety stop. I am a long time snorkeler and so am used to wearing it. It comes in handy if you have to swim out to the dive site, and it came in handy when I surfaced from the Yukon, as I only had 100 psi left in tank. Being a fairly new diver I tend to suck air pretty good. I have never had any buoyancy control issues until that ascent. I felt pretty stupid grabbing my snorkel instead of the inflator hose. When I go under water with my snorkel on, I can hear it filling with water, so I would know right away if I didn't have my reg in my mouth.

Back
Top Bottom