Difference in Back Plates and HOG question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's worse, I AM sorry. Frankly I was on the go so much that the cell phone was the only logical place to get calls, then being a one man monkey show for quite some time it kinda got too much and yet I still hate the idea of not answering a phone when it rings. Kinda catch 22 for me. Thankfully there are many more people here now so the load is more distributed. I still have my cell number out there and enjoy talking with people.

heck, ask here, I think we all wanna know now :)

Nope, that was not me, the suit was fine I just had questions about the care of it. I am still really happy with the suit and dive it multiple times a week and always stay dry!

And like I said, I was not really expecting anyone to answer the phone on a sunday. Oops....... I do have a question about the boots, but I will post that in your forum. I think I have hijacked this thread enough already....

On the other hand I do take calls on Sunday evenings! :wink:

And if I make it to DEMA this year, which is definitely a possibility but not for the whole week (probably Thurs- Sun morning - maybe afternoon if I take a late flight home), I can guarantee that there will be one non-hung over person in the booth- ME!
:banana:
I do not partake of the fruit of the vine, fermented beverages, or those that have been distilled. I could not go to DEMA in Vegas so the designated sober person was missing.

I had to house and cat sit for my GF who was doing a liveaboard in the Bahamas. So all of you who want someone clear eyed (once I've had my coffee) just need to take up a collection for my airfare to guarantee I'll be there. :D

OK.

I noticed that both my boots have wear marks from my fins, they are up on the smooth part of the boots on both sides. Since that part is not as reinforced as the thicker parts of the boot I was wondering the best way to keep from putting a hole in them. I was thinking about possibly glueing on a piece of rubber kind of like a bike innertube for more protection.

I use the Hollis F1 fins and think it might be caused when the heels go into the foot pocket putting extra pressure across the top of my foot. I am probably wrong, but it sounds good.

Yes we are talking about the same guys.

We were looking for a BP/W for my friend and he wanted Halcyon but they did not have 30lb eclipse but had a full closet of 40lbs so they were pushing the 40lb hard and after I asked them to explain why we need 40lb the explanation was that it allow to sit a couple of inches higher on the surface :)

They use any business practice to steer the way the money wind blows but they are shortsighted and only from my friends circle they lost about 10k of deals due to their tactics.

---------- Post added April 4th, 2013 at 04:06 PM ----------

The same one that has one DSS BP/W in the back corner, and shows folks how "awful' is is compared to an "H-delux" model (on the main isle) when they ask for something affordable....

Last edited:
OK.

I noticed that both my boots have wear marks from my fins, they are up on the smooth part of the boots on both sides. Since that part is not as reinforced as the thicker parts of the boot I was wondering the best way to keep from putting a hole in them. I was thinking about possibly glueing on a piece of rubber kind of like a bike innertube for more protection.

I use the Hollis F1 fins and think it might be caused when the heels go into the foot pocket putting extra pressure across the top of my foot. I am probably wrong, but it sounds good.

What size boots and what size F-1's. I dive the same thing for now. I hadn't noticed any wear marks but I use two different size F-1's. I wear a size 8-9 boot and use the Large F-1's for it. I also have a set of XL's and they are way too big for the attached boots. I use them with my heavy sole wet boots.

Next question is the wear from the fin foot pocket or the springs? If the springs, rather than gluing something to the boot could you slip something like a nylon sleeve over the springs?

Finally is it actual wear or just a place more polished than worn? The boots are fairly tough.

Just a thought. If the fins are too big your foot will move around and I could see wear marks showing. My fins fit really snug and don't move so maybe look into that as well.

I would start with the inner tube cuts and use aquaseal to secure to the boot. Lightly sand the boot and the inner tuvebe with fine grit sandpaper, clear the area with cotol (sp?) and then use the aqualseal. You should be OK for a little longer. Eventually you'll need new boots, but that's normal with drysuits...boots, zippers and seals...the bane of them.

OK.

What size boots and what size F-1's. I dive the same thing for now. I hadn't noticed any wear marks but I use two different size F-1's. I wear a size 8-9 boot and use the Large F-1's for it. I also have a set of XL's and they are way too big for the attached boots. I use them with my heavy sole wet boots.

Next question is the wear from the fin foot pocket or the springs? If the springs, rather than gluing something to the boot could you slip something like a nylon sleeve over the springs?

Finally is it actual wear or just a place more polished than worn? The boots are fairly tough.

Just a thought. If the fins are too big your foot will move around and I could see wear marks showing. My fins fit really snug and don't move so maybe look into that as well.

I would have to check sizes when I get home (I am supposed to be working). The marks are from the foot pockets not the springs. The are not shiny marks, almost kind of like pitting or rough surface in very localized spots. I know that if I do not get the heel into the pocket the fins will be loose and I hate it. I might try to find someone with a size smaller fin and see if it fits better. That might be the correct fix instead of trying to add more rubber to the boot.

But figured that I would ask.

my personal suit has some rub marks on the boots as well, but I've also almost worn thru the soles and need to get new boots...but last cave trip I managed to poke some sticks thru my suit...fixed those but not quite sure if I should keep diving it to death or get a new suit and represent the brand better..

Thread Hijackers........ :) I'm glad you took the time to come out and talk about the issues at hand. I really appreciate that as a consumer that even though you may not want to, I can call if there is an issue on a sunday night, right before a dive trip, and would be take care of. The brisk tone would of course be appreciated at the point because I am sort that kind of a pain in the butt.....

I will most likely be a little ...cranky but will try and help....:wink:
Thread Hijackers........ :) I'm glad you took the time to come out and talk about the issues at hand. I really appreciate that as a consumer that even though you may not want to, I can call if there is an issue on a sunday night, right before a dive trip, and would be take care of. The brisk tone would of course be appreciated at the point because I am sort that kind of a pain in the butt.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom