Difference in Back Plates and HOG question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you use a weighted STA for an aluminum back plate in general? My thought process is to get myself neutral without added weights for pools and no exposure diving (which basically leaves me at the pool anyways).

---------- Post added April 12th, 2013 at 10:54 AM ----------

OR a way to add variable weight to an STA. Pool dives with a crappy jacket BC I add 7 pounds. I think I can get it lower if I worked on it, but I don't think with the change I will need more than a couple of pounds, so the standard 6 pounds is going to make me negative unless I add a shorty or something.

---------- Post added April 12th, 2013 at 10:56 AM ----------

And I'm looking at an aluminum plate for travel to clarify for those that are going to say get a SS plate and not worry about either.

Where do you plan to dive? and what is the level of exposure protection you need? I used to live in Pennsylvania and diving in a lake I would wear around 25 lbs of weight on a belt when using a 7 mil suit. Such a level of weighting is not unusual as most of the dive club was around the same. This was before using a back plate and wing. With a steel plate and weighted STA about 12 lbs could be moved off the belt leaving a more manageable 13 lbs or so on the belt.

My recommendation is that if you plan on doing any diving in moderately cold water get a stainless steel plate because you will need the weight. Buy a cheap AL plate latter before you travel. Dolphin Scuba sells one with a harness for $70 or buy a used one. Plates do not go bad and you could always bead-blast it and powder coat it to the color you like.

I'm not sure how cold of water I will end up in. The local area will probably be around 40 ish by the time we will all get to go out. My open waters will be at the end of the month, and as marked by my instructors (also in charge of the local club) is about the earliest they will even think about getting in the water. but through the summer, above the thremocline, I would probably looking at 70s or higher.

I'm looking and looking at some of these and cannot find how they are made, or what finish they use.

That information is buried in the SB archives. Let your fingers do the walking. About a decade ago before the BP/W caught on with mainstream dive companies you used to have homemade plates and small manufacturers. Guys like FredT, Jet, and Hammerhead Scuba, now the only plate I know of is the Freedom plate and I am not sure if they will be made again. There is plenty of info on how to make plates and even some cad drawings. If I remember correctly you need a water jet for cutting and a brake press for bending the plate. Although the Jet plate was flat not bent.

---------- Post added April 12th, 2013 at 08:40 AM ----------

I'm not sure how cold of water I will end up in. The local area will probably be around 40 ish by the time we will all get to go out. My open waters will be at the end of the month, and as marked by my instructors (also in charge of the local club) is about the earliest they will even think about getting in the water. but through the summer, above the thremocline, I would probably looking at 70s or higher.

The water will only be in the 70s unless you are in the shallows (10-15) feet the water. Once you are in past the thermocline (15 to 20 ft) the water will be in the 40s to 50s even in the middle of summer. Your instructor or someone at the dive club should explain this to you. Also even in 70 degree water you will need some type of exposure protection usually a 3-5 mil wetsuit which will require additional weight.

That was the general plan. I'm a fairly hot blooded person, the "only" exposure protection I have right now are my boots (which are 5mil) and my feet sweat in the pool. I only plan to be neutral in the pool, I want to wear a weight belt for anything other. I borrowed a 6 mil shorty the other night and only added 8 pounds overall. I figured this is sort of normal.

That was the general plan. I'm a fairly hot blooded person, the "only" exposure protection I have right now are my boots (which are 5mil) and my feet sweat in the pool. I only plan to be neutral in the pool, I want to wear a weight belt for anything other. I borrowed a 6 mil shorty the other night and only added 8 pounds overall. I figured this is sort of normal.

Many years ago when I took my first dive course the instructor said that in 80 degree water your body looses heat at the same rate as sitting naked in 50 degree air temperature. So you need to be very warm blooded to avoid hypothermia especially on multiple dives.

If this was a 6 mil shorty than there is probably a 6 mil farmer john somewhere that goes with it. Wetsuits come in 1 and two piece versions with the 2 piece versions being warmer and more buoyant.

I know the guy I borrowed it from has a farmer john, probably does go with it. I figured I would probably get close to the same set up so I'm comfortable in most situations.

Many years ago when I took my first dive course the instructor said that in 80 degree water your body looses heat at the same rate as sitting naked in 50 degree air temperature. So you need to be very warm blooded to avoid hypothermia especially on multiple dives.

If this was a 6 mil shorty than there is probably a 6 mil farmer john somewhere that goes with it. Wetsuits come in 1 and two piece versions with the 2 piece versions being warmer and more buoyant.

I think your instructor badly overstated things. In 80F water, I dive in a lycra skin, or in a t-shirt and trunks. I've done this for four tanks/day for two weeks at a time, including a few night dives during that time period. No hypothermia involved.

regardless of what is needed at 80 (some will be different than others) you should still protect yourself and the marine life by wearing exposure equipment. The only time I see not using anything is going to be in the pool.

Being a newbie this makes no sense to me. Coming from the auto industry I understand that there are just those companies that people don't want to be caught dead in (like I HATE Toyota, and would never purchase one)

So you hate Toyota but you can't understand an irrational hatred for a particular scuba brand. Yeah that makes perfect sense

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom