Difference in Back Plates and HOG question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sorry but a post from someone in Alaska that apparently offers GUE training commenting on the 23lb wing as being inadequate is completely full on silly. I assume GUE still teaches a balanced rig? I also offer a 32lb single, why wouldn't you mention that? Instead you make it sound like I offer only one single tank wing and thru that imply that we seem to think it's a one wing for single tank solution. In fact that is FAR from the truth.You then go on to make the statement that the rest of the wings "look: like double tank wings , well we call them Double tank wings in the name(in the case of the donut wings for doubles) or in the descriptions for the horseshoe wings. Even the most obtuse may find that a clue.

I like your comments that you believe the shape may be wrong without any evidence, nice and pretty low way to try and sound like you know what you are talking about when in fact you are trying to look intelligent as you dis the wing.
There are quite a few positive reviews on SB on my wings and elsewhere, maybe when you have time to take a break from wing design deconstruction you can google them.

I cannot speak to the back plate as it looks like it is somewhat similar to most others (although somewhat unrefined in the finish). The question I would have would be more geared toward the wings. I see a 23-lb single tank wing on the website which, might be fine for single-tank diving with an aluminum 80, but wholly inadequate with larger capacity tanks especially steel tanks used while dry suit diving. The rest of the "horse shoe" style wings look like doubles wings, and well as the "doughnut" wings. The shape of the wing is also important, and I'd like to see one in person to dispel my impression that they are the wrong shape. I am speculating here, and may very well be wrong :) Before anyone gets up in arms and inundates me with "mine works just fine", please feel free to preface your response with a video of yourself in good trim, with good balance, and good buoyancy control. Then, (and only then) will your response have credibility. By the way, if you support your local dive shop, they will support you.

When I say I hate Toyota, it is a personal preference that has been back up with many different occasions, namely they are hard to work on if you have big hands.

If you think it is a Toyota only problem, then you have never worked on a Corvette.....:D

I cannot speak to the back plate as it looks like it is somewhat similar to most others (although somewhat unrefined in the finish). The question I would have would be more geared toward the wings. I see a 23-lb single tank wing on the website which, might be fine for single-tank diving with an aluminum 80, but wholly inadequate with larger capacity tanks especially steel tanks used while dry suit diving. The rest of the "horse shoe" style wings look like doubles wings, and well as the "doughnut" wings. The shape of the wing is also important, and I'd like to see one in person to dispel my impression that they are the wrong shape. I am speculating here, and may very well be wrong :) Before anyone gets up in arms and inundates me with "mine works just fine", please feel free to preface your response with a video of yourself in good trim, with good balance, and good buoyancy control. Then, (and only then) will your response have credibility. By the way, if you support your local dive shop, they will support you.

That last line is one that more often than not I have found to be less than accurate. Besides myself there are six dive retailers within about a thirty mile radius. Three of us seem to bend over backwards to accomodate our customers. To the point of even referring them to our competition if we don't have exactly what they want or by getting the item from each other at a much smaller profit just to serve the customer. I also refer my students and customers to a select few on line shops when I know they can get a better deal or something I don't yet have access to.
The other shops think we are crazy. I came up through DM with one of them and the policy was to not refer anyone for anything. Try to talk them into something he carried. Even if it was not what the customer wanted. Or tell them that they didn't need it. Or it was not a wise choice. I know this first hand because it was done to me when I wanted to go the Hogarthian route. I was told I didn't need or want a seven foot hose, BPW, or cannister light. I waited for three months on a pony before I finally got it from Scubatoys. This was after spending perhaps five thousand dollars on gear and courses in less than two years, and helping out as a DM.
As a result I left that shop. Got with a other and bought a bunch of gear on line. That old shop's attitude cost them perhaps ten grand in sales.
Then I started my own business with the idea that divers are, for the most part, intelligent and know what they want. And that sometimes I need to tell them the truth and that I don't have what they need. And that they can get it on line and at a better price than I could give them if I could get it. Or that one of the shops I cooperate with can get it and I will even call to see if they have it. And I take people to them to get it if they want. In return I get a lot of people who come back and buy something else from me because they know I'm looking out for them.
Some LDS will support you if you support them. Others will support themselves and try to dictate what is best for you. I don't deal with those.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I cannot speak to the back plate as it looks like it is somewhat similar to most others (although somewhat unrefined in the finish).

There are several backplates, which one are you referring to? Have you actually and touched them in person before making that comment? I need video evidence as proof.

I see a 23-lb single tank wing on the website which, might be fine for single-tank diving with an aluminum 80, but wholly inadequate with larger capacity tanks especially steel tanks used while dry suit diving.

Sure, that's what a 23lb wing is designed for. That's like saying 2 door sports car is really nice but it won't carry a family of 8. They also have a 32lb single wing.

The rest of the "horse shoe" style wings look like doubles wings, and well as the "doughnut" wings.

There is also a 32lb singles doughnut wing. Did you think that was a doubles?

The shape of the wing is also important, and I'd like to see one in person to dispel my impression that they are the wrong shape. I am speculating here, and may very well be wrong :) Before anyone gets up in arms and inundates me with "mine works just fine", please feel free to preface your response with a video of yourself in good trim, with good balance, and good buoyancy control. Then, (and only then) will your response have credibility.

"Wrong Shape" That sounds like typical DIR mentality. So which shape for which purpose (single or doubles) are you saying is "right"? You seemed to confused a singles wing for a double wing and jumped to the wrong conclusions. Oh, and I don't need to show you a GUE card and/or video of my diving to know what the heck I'm talking about. I practice the concepts of stable platform and a balanced rig.

By the way, if you support your local dive shop, they will support you.

Yup, there's the heart of it all: you are a Halcyon Network Partner.

BTW, I feel like I need to post something nice after all that. At least thanks for being of the DIR / BP/W mindset. I respect that over the typical LDS. Still, I just don't like it when people put brand affiliations before factual comparisons.

To me a backplate is a backplate. I doubt that a Chinese made backplate would be made out of material that may break in half while diving.

The fit and finish of the product is what I'm looking at: are there sharp edges that may cut my hands and webbing? Are the holes drilled rounded/oblong like they're suppose to or they just look like dog doodoo?

BPWs are about as simple as it can get. It's not like you're buying an optical device for an assault rifle that may be used in the mountains of Afghanistan one day and the next day, Siberia.

I pay extra for Dive Rite and Halcyon products because I like to support American made gears as much as possible and frankly, I have the disposable cash to do so. For those who are tight with their budgets, I'd say buy the best money for the buck. If that means a Chinese made BPW, then that's what it is.

BPWs are about as simple as it can get. It's not like you're buying an optical device for an assault rifle that may be used in the mountains of Afghanistan one day and the next day, Siberia.
Next day ? :) that plan would be too ambitious for reasons other than optics :)

Cast vs press bent.

??? Sorry, but no rational manufacturer would ever try and cast a SS or aluminium BP. You must be talking about precision optical sights for your assault rifle :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom