Difference in Back Plates and HOG question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So you hate Toyota but you can't understand an irrational hatred for a particular scuba brand. Yeah that makes perfect sense

I didn't say that at all actually. When I say I hate Toyota, it is a personal preference that has been back up with many different occasions, namely they are hard to work on if you have big hands. What I do not understand is the lack of information, even companies that strive on the internet have information of what people are saying about them. HOG is like non existent.

... What I do not understand is the lack of information, even companies that strive on the internet have information of what people are saying about them. HOG is like non existent.

I too have found HOG's internet reviews to be a little lacking; but I personally find most scuba manufacture's websites to be a little bit lacking on reviews. So besides SB I have not found too much useful information on the internet. ScubaBoard still has been the best place for me to find out about equipment; however on SB the people who voice themselves either love HOG or don't care for the HOG Lovers hijacking the non-HOG threads. :D

I will say that I have found cerich's, Jim Lapenta's, Chrpai's and other HOG supporter's comments very informative. Even when they do hijack a thread I find most of their comments useful in one way or another. :wink:

no offense OLDBEAR but you REALLY have to dismiss anything I say regarding EDGE or HOG..I am way too biased, of course I am also NOT a supporter of HOG. I am BOSSHOG:D

I too have found HOG's internet reviews to be a little lacking; but I personally find most scuba manufacture's websites to be a little bit lacking on reviews. So besides SB I have not found too much useful information on the internet. ScubaBoard still has been the best place for me to find out about equipment; however on SB the people who voice themselves either love HOG or don't care for the HOG Lovers hijacking the non-HOG threads. :D

I will say that I have found cerich's, Jim Lapenta's, Chrpai's and other HOG supporter's comments very informative. Even when they do hijack a thread I find most of their comments useful in one way or another. :wink:

---------- Post added April 12th, 2013 at 03:34 PM ----------

Do you mean why people hate HOG is almost non existent? i attribute it to my different marketing approach, allowing, encouraging and making it easy for tech divers to seek of training on servicing equipment, the prices perceived as too low which in detractors minds either means less quality or deliberately undercutting the market.(to the first not so, to the second, some truth but mostly related to better my marketing approach)

I didn't say that at all actually. When I say I hate Toyota, it is a personal preference that has been back up with many different occasions, namely they are hard to work on if you have big hands. What I do not understand is the lack of information, even companies that strive on the internet have information of what people are saying about them. HOG is like non existent.

regardless of what is needed at 80 (some will be different than others) you should still protect yourself and the marine life by wearing exposure equipment. The only time I see not using anything is going to be in the pool.

Exposure protection is about thermal protection. It doesn't protect the marine life. Buoyancy control protects the reef, and me. In an overhead environment, the suit may provide some measure of protection from cuts and scrapes, but I don't think you're going to find much support for the idea that such is the intended purpose, even then.

I know the guy I borrowed it from has a farmer john, probably does go with it. I figured I would probably get close to the same set up so I'm comfortable in most situations.

What your friend has is a 6 mil 2 pc wetsuit. One piece is the shorty (It has long sleeves, does't it?) and the other is the farmer john. Shorties for tropical diving usually have short sleeves and are no more than 3 mil thick. When diving in PA I used a 2 piece 7 mil wet suit and needed around 25 lbs with an aluminium tank. The other members of the dive club used the same type of suit and wore roughly the same amount of weight except for one guy who dove the Heiser 140 tank, he required no weight as it is about 30 lbs negative full and 20 lbs empty. So I stand by my recommendation for you to purchase a steel plate unless you are diving majorly negative steel tanks.

I've been hunting a used SS plate, and think I may have found one finally.

I cannot speak to the back plate as it looks like it is somewhat similar to most others (although somewhat unrefined in the finish). The question I would have would be more geared toward the wings. I see a 23-lb single tank wing on the website which, might be fine for single-tank diving with an aluminum 80, but wholly inadequate with larger capacity tanks especially steel tanks used while dry suit diving. The rest of the "horse shoe" style wings look like doubles wings, and well as the "doughnut" wings. The shape of the wing is also important, and I'd like to see one in person to dispel my impression that they are the wrong shape. I am speculating here, and may very well be wrong :) Before anyone gets up in arms and inundates me with "mine works just fine", please feel free to preface your response with a video of yourself in good trim, with good balance, and good buoyancy control. Then, (and only then) will your response have credibility. By the way, if you support your local dive shop, they will support you.

When I say I hate Toyota, it is a personal preference that has been back up with many different occasions, namely they are hard to work on if you have big hands

Maybe you should hate your hands?

When I say I hate Toyota, it is a personal preference that has been back up with many different occasions, namely they are hard to work on if you have big hands.

I bet you'd hate my car too, then, if that's your criteria.... :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom