DIR- Generic "DIR Approved" Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting, thanks. They don't have any courses listed locally any time soon, but I'll reach out to them.
If you're in Hawaii, Meredith Tanguay splits her instructing between Hawaii and Florida (and often other places as well).

Are you trying to conform to GUE’s standards or do you want to be DIR?

If the latter, I recommend having a balanced adjustable primary that you can disassemble and an unbalanced backup that you can disassemble.

I HAVE had to take a reg apart under water when a shell or a stick (this was quite some time ago) got stuck in the exhaust valve. It was easy peasy to clear it and finish my dive.

A700 is a fine reg. G250 (and probably g260, no personal experience) is better for the above reasons.

Interesting, thanks. They don't have any courses listed locally any time soon, but I'll reach out to them.

A lot of GUE instructors will schedule classes on request. So if you don’t see something that works for you, there’s a good chance that you’ll be able to get something scheduled that does.

On two occasions, a dive buddy using the A700 puked in his reg underwater and was forced to switch regulators and complete his deco on his backup, which was also an A700. Luckily he did fill is backup with breakfast/lunch.

On two occasions, a dive buddy using the A700 puked in his reg underwater and was forced to switch regulators and complete his deco on his backup, which was also an A700. Luckily he did fill is backup with breakfast/lunch.
Fixing the puking seems a bit more important than being able to take apart a reg underwater

Just rinse and purge using the water all around you, possibly using your alternate while you do it, and you are good to go. No disassembly required.

Just rinse and purge using the water all around you, possibly using your alternate while you do it, and you are good to go. No disassembly required.
Unfortunately, it kinda depends on what you puked. Chunks can get caught in the exhaust valve.

Unfortunately, it kinda depends on what you puked. Chunks can get caught in the exhaust valve.
Filling the reg with water blocking the mouth piece with your thumb, and purging will push the chunks through as well as disassembly will.

Also, chew your food properly :wink:

Filling the reg with water blocking the mouth piece with your thumb, and purging will push the chunks through as well as disassembly will.

Also, chew your food properly :wink:
Not that I’m a puker, but it seems plain oatmeal and scrambled eggs would be better puking material than say introducing some chunks of Louisiana Hot Links into the mix, or Chorizo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom