DIR Class: The Truth Comes Out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, this is an order. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, go back and read the second post in this thread. :D

Good call, Cave Diver!

ahhh come on TJ... lets see how many topics we can spin off of one thread.

Until this thread has been around as long as that stupid "how do you find single male divers" thread, than I don't think we can complain about this one not dying:eek:ut:

I've been following this thread with interest, and have appreciated the information and input given. Sincerely.

Having said that, I think DeepScuba brought up some good points that I'd have liked to have heard discussed. Why were 'threats' necessary?

I've lost a lot of respect for this venue, which is sad, since there's a lot of great information. There were no insults given, is having a different point of view sufficient to be cut off here? Please. We're supposed to be adults here.

CJ, great writeup, I've enjoyed reading about your experiences.

The deal with the "useless" posts has to do with the fact that this issue has been beaten to death...at least 5 times in the past year or so. Just do a search for DIR and computers or something and you will find entire threads with HUNDREDS of posts in them talking about exactly what you are asking.

Sorry for contributing to the problem, but the same old tired trolling gets a tad old after a while.

NetDoc once bubbled...

One little drop of invasive sea water and poof up goes the magic smoke. And we all know that once an electronic device loses it's magic smoke, it ceases to operate.

[/B]

Net Doc,

They say you learn something every day. Today I learned that my aircraft's computers run on "magic smoke"! Hey, it's a better explanation than I've heard from some people in my business!:wacko:

And, no, folks, you needn't worry. Our computers do not run on Windies Twa Thoosand! Thank heavens!:D

lend me your shears...

Contrary to what you think I said... I am not DIR, and I leave a lot of decision making to my computer. I even plan and dive deco with my trusty Cobra! So much for that conspiracy theory, Chester!

I was merely stating why many, many divers (including DIR divers) prefer to not rely on them. They have the phobia... not me.

Secondly, DeepScuba was never "kicked" off of this thread. He imposed his own exile and not me or any other regulator. We did tell him, no -I- told him to stop with the harassments. No one owes him diddly, especially with his combative in your face style. Leave that for the Dr Phil show, because we won't allow abuse to members on our board. He can post any time he wants… but it had better not be combative!

My point was that there are a TON of reasons why people won't rely on computers... I gave merely one. Any reasonable person should realize that we do not have the right to force someone to agree with us... no matter how strongly we believe it. He was doing exactly what he accused others of doing.

Scubaboard is meant to be a place to exchange ideas... not to beat someone over the head till they succumb and then claim "victory". In fact, winning should never be considered when we are here. Understanding should be the by-word. To that end I want to understand why MHK does what he does and am perfectly able to accept a "just because" if that is the reason he gives me. But to demand an answer, over and over and over and over and over (get the picture yet?) and over and over ad nauseum is ludicrous and just not right.

Bottom line... if you want to be a bully, go somewhere else to do it. If you seek enlightenment, yea even understanding than close your trap and listen to what others have to say for once!

NetDoc once bubbled...
lend me your shears...

what he accused others of doing.

Scubaboard is meant to be a place to exchange ideas... not to beat someone over the head till they succumb and then claim "victory". In fact, winning should never be considered when we are here. Understanding should be the by-word. To that end I want to understand why MHK does what he does and am perfectly able to accept a "just because" if that is the reason he gives me. But to demand an answer, over and over and over and over and over (get the picture yet?) and over and over ad nauseum is ludicrous and just not right.

NetDoc,

I'm happy to explain any rationale as to why we do what we do. I believe I have made several posts on the subject matter that explained my thinking, however if something isn't clear or if I ommitted something I'm happy to engage in an exchange of ideas on the subject. But like you, I enjoy this list very much, and have no desire whatsoever to get into a flame war about a particular subject and denigrate the list, which is where I saw this thread heading.. I'll leave those type of exchanges for rec.scuba ;-)

Please let me know if you have additional questions..

Later

MHK,
I'm not DIR at all, and tend to agree more with the argument for computers (though I'm studying your argument thoroughly), but think you explained your point of view thoroughly and maturely. I appreciate that and respect you for it.

I think the flame war was one person, and I for one was offended by that person's attitude, especially his disrespect your you and your organization. Yeah there are some attituded within the DIR crowd, but DeepScuba just demonstrated they are folks like that on both sides of the fence.

Thanks for giving us your input and sharing your knowledge here. You represent your organization well.

Andrew was watching over us, and took the situation in hand in a way I couldn't believe. I watched him shut down the valve to his own primary and isolator, while I'm wondering what's going on. Then he reached back a little further, and calmly removed his primary first stage from the manifold! He then went over to Jack, and replaced Jack's first stage with his. On we went with our dive. I couldn't believe it.

Wait a sec!!! he removed his first stage?? doesn't ruin the reg if the water goes into the first stage??????

What am I missing???

VTernovski once bubbled...
[
Wait a sec!!! he removed his first stage?? doesn't ruin the reg if the water goes into the first stage??????

What am I missing???

Some regs are a little more tolerant of it than others.

If Andrew was diving a piston first, and diving freshwater... Then it's not a serious issue.

Also, Andrew owns 5th Dimension dive shops in Washington State. I'm sure it would be no big deal to have his reg serviced soon after that dive, which would definitely be recommended no matter what sort of 1st stage he was using.

The point was that he had the skill and confidence to do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom