DIR controversy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim:
Wanna bet? :D
Good thing I didn't bet...the sharks are circling for the kill :wink:

JeffG:
Good thing I didn't bet...the sharks are circling for the kill :wink:
Actually...it's one I wouldn't have minded losing. Oh well! :D

I thought you, Catherine and Dennis were doing fine earlier. Just goes to show.....some things just won't stay dead! eyebrow

You guys, off on the sidelines making comments... I can't help but see you like THIS :D

mudchick:
I've read the other posts and understand a bit of the philosophy but it appears from some of the responses that there is a certain amount of controversy regarding it. Can someone expand on that for me? I mean diving efficiently and proficiently is something we strive for isn't it? What is specific to the DIR philosophy that causes problems for some?

I think the biggest controversy is misunderstanding what the DIR system is. To me, a non DIR diver who dives with DIR divers sometimes, it's surprising that the name gets so many folks upset. I have never met a DIR diver who was not very nice and not at all condescending. My theory is that the ones that cause controversy are the ones on the internet and they might just be trolls anyway. It's true that new fundies folks can sometimes be over exuberant but for the most part, at least in my experience, they are pretty harmless. There are huge internet arguments that go back and forth and both sides have people who just won't listen to reason. Reminds me of politicians really. These types of battles are not exclusive to diving or DIR.
While I will never be DIR, I am going to take their intro course because it is a good course to take, not because I've been sipping the Kool-aid. You can take the best from all styles and be a great diver.

Okey Rick I'll jump in.

Minnesota: Take the class.... and like I told Adobo.... Just dive dude :)

There's a lot of good answers that were given both from DIR and non DIR people... now you are just argueing just to argue...

Like Bob said... slow down and listen.. and just dive. Whether you dive DIR or not we really don't care... For me DIR works...

minnesota01r6:
Again, the entire premise of my posts was to point out that the argument by Thalassamania that DIR is a better system of diving because of the standard way that air shres are conducted is a fallacy because if DIR divers are diving with non-DIR divers, there is MORE variation in equipment, rather than less. Unfortunately, the DIR crowd could not come to terms with this and felt the need to reply that the hypothetical situation was worthless and so inconceivable that it did not merit answering. Again, I was merely trying to point out that DIR has introduced MORE variation to the diving community as a whole, rather than reduce it. (but, this can be a good thing!) Furthermore the entire argument is flawed because as others have stated, an OOG diver will go for your primary.
Again I have to ask ... upon what experience do you base these assumptions. Remember ... you're arguing against people with thousands of hours of real-life experience ... mostly scuba professionals who've been doing this day in and day out for years. You ... someone with what ... 20 dives? 30? ... are telling them they're full of it. I surely hope you've got some real-life basis for drawing those conclusions.

Here's mine. I teach scuba. As part of the training, my students are taught to do a buddy check before every dive. Weren't you? It's basic safety protocol. If your PADI OW instructor didn't teach you that, you weren't taught to standards. And if you were taught that, your argument isn't worth arguing ... because you should never get in the water with someone without understanding how their gear works.

Standards are fine, in theory. In reality, experience, practice, and adherence to protocol are what will get your arse out of a tight situation. Until you gain enough experience to understand what that means, all these semantical arguments you're tossing about are ... frankly ... worthless. Because they are not based on reality.

minnesota01r6:
//ok, it's dead
Gawd ... I hope so.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom