DIR Doing Their Thang!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GDI

Artificer of Havoc & Kaos
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
:doctor: The more I read regarding DIR-F classes and some of the principles they follow the more it seems that these things they do are really not new but rather a revisiting of the things that scuba classes use to do years ago? Am I wrong? Does anyone else see this? I am not opposed to these principles.

I do believe that the DIR concept is correct however I feel that more often than not the approach towards these principles is a bit askew, and I look at that as being a result of the interpretation of the instructor.
I am not wanting a battle of, I'm trying to avoid actually, the DIR concept of which equipment brand is DIR and which is not. We have had those SB discussions of Halcyon vs Dive Rite vs OMS vs Zeagle vs Dacor, Sherwood, Atomic, Scuabpro, Apeks etc. I am just asking if any of the Ol' time divers out there see any similarities in the old way things were done and how these DIR-F classes are doing them now?

Dunno ... but when I first saw the title of your post I thought it said "DIR Doing their Thong" ... I know those guys are into streamlining, but man that'd be a concept ... :biggrinpi

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

GDI:
:doctor: The more I read regarding DIR-F classes and some of the principles they follow the more it seems that these things they do are really not new but rather a revisiting of the things that scuba classes use to do years ago? Am I wrong? Does anyone else see this? I am not opposed to these principles.

I do believe that the DIR concept is correct however I feel that more often than not the approach towards these principles is a bit askew, and I look at that as being a result of the interpretation of the instructor.
I am not wanting a battle of, I'm trying to avoid actually, the DIR concept of which equipment brand is DIR and which is not. We have had those SB discussions of Halcyon vs Dive Rite vs OMS vs Zeagle vs Dacor, Sherwood, Atomic, Scuabpro, Apeks etc. I am just asking if any of the Ol' time divers out there see any similarities in the old way things were done and how these DIR-F classes are doing them now?

GDI,

You are absolutely correct in most of your post. In fact, the GUE instructors will tell you that. In fact, in every DIRF class that I've been involved with, one of the first things you're told is "What you are going to learn here is in the first 4 pages of the PADI OW manual".

The fundamentals class is, for the most part, not groundbreaking skills. The OW agencies have watered down the skills requirements to a point that they are now pretty much non-existent for critical skills.

What the DIRF class does is teach you these skills, or at least show you what they are and what you need to strive for. Of course there are new skills and information that is taught also.

I have no clue what you are speaking of when you say

"I do believe that the DIR concept is correct however I feel that more often than not the approach towards these principles is a bit askew, and I look at that as being a result of the interpretation of the instructor."

What instructor are you talking about ie GUE or other? If GUE, what is askew?

GDI:

Actually, every single thing I have found in DIR came from somewhere else. The possible exception is the decompression methods. Putting it together is what makes it DIR.

Would you say the newest Clive Cussler book wasn't new because it used words that have been used before and featured characters that have appeared before?

Would you say the newest Eminem recording wasn't new because all of the notes had been used before?

How about a new dance using steps that had been used before? A jet engine based on combining features in other engines? A building with design elements seen before?

If quality requires complete originality, I suspect we will find ourselves rejecting everything.

I choose to evaluate things based on their merits, not whether the author is capable of creating life from scratch.

I have a copy of the fourth edition and a copy of the sixth edition of "The News Science of Skin and Scuba Diving" and there appears to be quite a difference between the old way things were done and DIR.

detroit diver:
GDI,

"I do believe that the DIR concept is correct however I feel that more often than not the approach towards these principles is a bit askew, and I look at that as being a result of the interpretation of the instructor."

What instructor are you talking about ie GUE or other? If GUE, what is askew?
I am not speaking of any particular instructor or agency. As humans we often interpret things differently.
"Askew" Some DIR instructors and/or divers (and not all are GUE)that I have met have the correct philosophy in diving, DIR, however their ridigness in illustrating these principles to other divers is a bit off. Not everyone can learn or observes in the same way. The principles can be illustrated and the goals achieved with the same end desired result.

Don Burke:
Actually, every single thing I have found in DIR came from somewhere else. The possible exception is the decompression methods. Putting it together is what makes it DIR.

Would you say the newest Clive Cussler book wasn't new because it used words that have been used before and featured characters that have appeared before?

Would you say the newest Eminem recording wasn't new because all of the notes had been used before?

How about a new dance using steps that had been used before? A jet engine based on combining features in other engines? A building with design elements seen before?

If quality requires complete originality, I suspect we will find ourselves rejecting everything.

I choose to evaluate things based on their merits, not whether the author is capable of creating life from scratch.

I have a copy of the fourth edition and a copy of the sixth edition of "The News Science of Skin and Scuba Diving" and there appears to be quite a difference between the old way things were done and DIR.

The text book for my O/W class back in 1976 was "The New Science of Skin and Scuba Diving" . I still have it.

GDI:
I am not speaking of any particular instructor or agency. As humans we often interpret things differently.
"Askew" Some DIR instructors and/or divers (and not all are GUE)that I have met have the correct philosophy in diving, DIR, however their ridigness in illustrating these principles to other divers is a bit off. Not everyone can learn or observes in the same way. The principles can be illustrated and the goals achieved with the same end desired result.

Your interpretation is odd in that, to a man (woman), almost every person who has been involved with this class will tell you that it was the best class that they have ever taken. Your sense of "rigidity" is not accurate. The criteria are very strict, but the instructors are exceptional in their ability to adjust their teaching methods within the class. Those that have the ability are pushed harder. Those that need some additional help are assisted.

Don't interpret strict criteria for rigidity. This is not a military style operation.

is that he's encountered a couple of DIR divers that displayed an 'attitude.' They were probably playing keep-away with some guy's new snorkel.

Don't confuse the message with the messenger...

GDI:
The text book for my O/W class back in 1976 was "The New Science of Skin and Scuba Diving" . I still have it.
I haven't found where it addresses backplate and wing setups or bungeed backups. Seven foot hoses seem to be missing too.

cyklon_300:
is that he's encountered a couple of DIR divers that displayed an 'attitude.' They were probably playing keep-away with some guy's new snorkel.

Don't confuse the message with the messenger...

I have seen some divers trained by PADI and NAUI and YMCA and SSI with more attitudes than any GUE trained diver I know. Now, having taken a couple of GUE classes myself I have not seen any attitude with any of the instructors or those in any of my classes. As far as GUE's approach to certain training methods being "askew", I would encourage GDI to take the class for himself. They don't beat you up, turn off your air, rip the regulator out of your mouth or even yell or insult you in a fundamentals class. What they do is show you the "why's" behind the DIR approach to diving, and then give you the "tools" to accomplish those goals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom