DIR Doing Their Thang!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roakey:
How about TWO bad examples?

This is PADI's idea of skills for someone becoming a tech instructor...

http://www.padi.com/english/common/courses/tec/tecdeepdiverinstructor.asp

Roak

RoaK and Mike,

This is an example of poor practice from the start, especially at this level.. As many times as I go to PADI.com I never read that page. The Pic is 1000 words isn't it. Are these dive models or real instructors? Who knows? It appears that unless we change our habits that we learned as babies we will continue to do so as adults. This is why my pool sessions go with Bouyancy taught as the third skill 1st session and the next two sessions gets worked on. In the 3rd session I don't want to see my students even touching the bottom, they can stop and hover, flip or keep moving but don't touch the bottom even when doing other skills. Again never pass a fault

Hi there,

I am very new to diving. (will do my open water dives in Puerto Vallarata in 3 weeks). But both my husband and I are information addicts. I have been doing alot of reading on DIR and GUE, but am wondering if someone can just break it down simply. I get overloaded with all the info :)

I will also say that for our OW class, we felt that our instructors were very good but do follow the PADI curriculum closely. And our opinion was that neither of us would want to buddy with any of the others from the class becuase the only info they had was what was handed to them, which just seemed TOTALLY inadequate for the rigors of diving. YIKES!

So, I am just looking for a brief :) overview of DIR/GUE (yes, I have seen their site... TOO MUCH INFORMATION for the moment). I'm sure I'll get to it all at some point....

Thanks
AmyJ

AmyJ:
Hi there,

So, I am just looking for a brief :) overview of DIR/GUE (yes, I have seen their site... TOO MUCH INFORMATION for the moment). I'm sure I'll get to it all at some point....

Thanks
AmyJ

Cave Diver has written a fantastic summary...PM him and he'll send it to you.

My nutshell of a nutshell...it is a "holistic" diving system (gear, attitude, teamwork, procedures, fitness, dive planning). originally stemming from cave diving. The "foundations" of the system are more or less as follows:
1.) Divers breathe from a longhose regulator...the regulator is on a 5-7 foot hose which is able to be deployed to an out-of-air diver. The gist is that the OOA diver will immediately receive a regulator which is guaranteed to be working and...the additional hose length gives extra room for each diver to move independently. The "gas donor" breathes off a second regulator secured by a "necklace" just under their chin.
2.) B/C's all use a "backplate" and a harness consisting of a single continuous strand of webbing and crotch strap. Wings of various size are then connected to the BP.
3.) Diving is "team based"
4.) Physical fitness is important
5.) Minimalistic...if you don't need it, don't take it.
6.) Dive skills are routinely practiced...when an emergency occurs, responses should be automatic and rote.

This is just a total skimming but gives you a few bits of the larger puzzle.

CaveDiver's post is quite good.

Here's another thread with some links that can help you out:

http://www.scubaboard.com/t40678.html

AmyJ:
Hi there,

I am very new to diving. (will do my open water dives in Puerto Vallarata in 3 weeks). But both my husband and I are information addicts. I have been doing alot of reading on DIR and GUE, but am wondering if someone can just break it down simply. I get overloaded with all the info :)

I will also say that for our OW class, we felt that our instructors were very good but do follow the PADI curriculum closely. And our opinion was that neither of us would want to buddy with any of the others from the class becuase the only info they had was what was handed to them, which just seemed TOTALLY inadequate for the rigors of diving. YIKES!

Thanks
AmyJ

bwerb:
Cave Diver has written a fantastic summary...PM him and he'll send it to you.

My nutshell of a nutshell...it is a "holistic" diving system (gear, attitude, teamwork, procedures, fitness, dive planning). originally stemming from cave diving. The "foundations" of the system are more or less as follows:
1.) Divers breathe from a longhose regulator...the regulator is on a 5-7 foot hose which is able to be deployed to an out-of-air diver. The gist is that the OOA diver will immediately receive a regulator which is guaranteed to be working and...the additional hose length gives extra room for each diver to move independently. The "gas donor" breathes off a second regulator secured by a "necklace" just under their chin.
2.) B/C's all use a "backplate" and a harness consisting of a single continuous strand of webbing and crotch strap. Wings of various size are then connected to the BP.
3.) Diving is "team based"
4.) Physical fitness is important
5.) Minimalistic...if you don't need it, don't take it.
6.) Dive skills are routinely practiced...when an emergency occurs, responses should be automatic and rote.

This is just a total skimming but gives you a few bits of the larger puzzle.
Sorry for the ignorance.. but how do I pm cave diver? Thanks for the replies... very helpful.. :)

AmyJ

AmyJ:
Sorry for the ignorance.. but how do I pm cave diver? Thanks for the replies... very helpful.. :)

AmyJ

Do a search on Cave Diver in the search section. When you get a hit on it, just click on his name and you will be given some choices. PM is one of those choices.

edited: cave diver is two words, not one.

Unfortunately...I originally tried to find the CD post...but the stupid search engine only goes back 250 posts and ... you can't search by "DIR" as it is only 3 letters... <sigh>

AmyJ:
Sorry for the ignorance.. but how do I pm cave diver?

If you click on someone's name next to one of their posts it will being up a menu. Just select "send private message to ...". Or if you go to you "User CP" and select "Send new message" (along the left side, middle of the way down" then type in there user name. Works just like a web email program.

Oh, and welcome to SB!

detroit diver:
To be fair, I think the Tech 1 class is a whole different ball game than the DIR-F class. It is assumed that you know the skills already when you take Tech1. And yes, they throw everything imaginable at you at Tech 1!!

the Dir-F course was introduced because so many Tech-1 course divers didn't master the needed basic skills like proper buoyancy and trim.

roccoh:
the Dir-F course was introduced because so many Tech-1 course divers didn't master the needed basic skills like proper buoyancy and trim.

That's correct. My point was that in the DIR-F class, the instructors will do nothing to you without telling you first. For instance, when they want your mask removed, they will ask you to hand it to them.

In the Tech 1 class, everything in the world is thrown at you. Masks are removed, deco bottles removed, simulated valve failures (they do not turn off your valvles-you do that), etc. Any type of failure, or mistake you can imagine.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom