DIR: God's gift to diving or Hell spawn?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IndigoBlue:
I am anti-nonsense. It is nonsense to believe that one way of doing things, anybody's way, is perfect for all situations.

You know that I am all for using the gear and techniques that best fit the job at hand.

I personally dive GTJD, Get The Job Done. But that is commercial diving and there we do what we need to to get the required job done safely. While gear may vary widely (and does) and job requirements must be net the procedures remain suprisingly consistent.

I don't see DIR (as taught by GUE) to be the end all, be all of diving or even of sport diving, it IS a very good system.
The biggest faults of DIR are more that it is safer and better than it needs to be for most sport diving. For people wiling to do the work and practice this is not that bad.

There are some really good reasons to go other than GUE for some people. For example, if you are moving toward rebreathers then DIR is not going to be your first choice. If you are willing to accept the risks and enjoy the benefits of CCR RBs then DIR is not going to get you there.
You might still benefit from a DIR-F course just for the general skills development. Lots of divers get training from several different agencies.

IndigoBlue:
DIR is the mis-application of cave diving protocols to non-cave diving.
IndigoBlue:
For open water non-penetration diving, it is a bit much, and it has major flaws for the open water.
"mis-application", "bit much" and "major flaws"

But where's the beef? You can keep repeating these statements over and over, but trust me, repetition doesn't make your position any less wrong.

Examples, please. You seem to have an opinion here, back it up.

Roak

IndigoBlue:
Thank you Michael for keeping watch.

This topic would quickly degenerate into a brawl were it not for your keenest mod-eration. Thank you for cleaning up the poo-poo, which was initiated by someone other than me, so we can get back to the original subject, which was:

Why do feathers get ruffled when you mention d.i.r.?

Well take a look. Why did they get ruffled when I pointed out that d.i.r. is the misapplication of cave diving protocols to non-cave diving? And when I pointed out that originally cave divers relied on the concept of Two Of Everything rather than a lengthy "hogarthian" nonsense protocol instead?

Feathers get ruffled because people cannot bear to hear the truth. And because d.i.r.f.ies cannot bear any criticism at all.

Feathers get ruffled because they see you spouting utter nonsense and touting it as the truth.

Your errors and misconceptions have repeatedly been corrected and you present no evidence yourself yet stick to sputing the same nonsense.

Wich aspects of DIR are too much for OW diving...managing gas?...working with a buddy?...a streamline equipment configuration? Which? ...good technique? because that's the bulk of what they teach OW divers.

Which major flaws?

Do you know the saying..."put up or shut up"?

But maybe IB's got somewhat of a point:

"Wich aspects of DIR are too much for OW diving...managing gas?...working with a buddy?...a streamline equipment configuration? Which? ...good technique? because that's the bulk of what they teach OW divers"

No one would would question that gas management is important to learn, buddy skills are important, but streamlined equipment ...Just how much difference can it make to those who want to swim leisurely around the reef looking at pretty fishies whether they have 2% less drag with a bp/w setup, or a nice comfy rec bc that's easy to unclip to don and doff with pockets for their camera and sea shells they might think are cute to take home. Proper trim and bouyancy can be maintained in a rec bc. Why do they *need* a 7' hose, they will never need to share gas in a single file while penetrating anything. They aren't going to dive where they can't come immediately to the surface if the air share need arises, the standard hose will be sufficient. Why prohibit split fins, with penetration ruled out, the need for a complete arsenal of alternative finning techniques is eliminated, .. as long as they have bouyancy and trim under control, they can stay sufficiently off the bottom to not muck it up. These are folks who will not dive a lot and likely don't work out a lot, so splits will save a lot of leg cramps and that makes for less stress.

I think that some of those issues are what IB means when he says dir is too much for ow divers. There are millions of non dir ow divers apparently doing alright, most could, no doubt do better .... The point is, that they don't have to be dir, just to be OK.

The crux of the matter is that dir doesn't settle for just OK, they want to be "all you can be" ... and since it's their ball of wax, they get to set the rules.

Those that are not dir, have no rights to try to tell dir what it ought , or ought not to be, and those dir, need not try to impose their thinking on those not dir.

Darlene

sheesh ... how did I get suckered into yet another dir discusion !

Scuba_Vixen:
But maybe IB's got somewhat of a point:

"Wich aspects of DIR are too much for OW diving...managing gas?...working with a buddy?...a streamline equipment configuration? Which? ...good technique? because that's the bulk of what they teach OW divers"

No one would would question that gas management is important to learn, buddy skills are important, but streamlined equipment ...Just how much difference can it make to those who want to swim leisurely around the reef looking at pretty fishies whether they have 2% less drag with a bp/w setup, or a nice comfy rec bc that's easy to unclip to don and doff with pockets for their camera and sea shells they might think are cute to take home. Proper trim and bouyancy can be maintained in a rec bc. Why do they *need* a 7' hose, they will never need to share gas in a single file while penetrating anything. They aren't going to dive where they can't come immediately to the surface if the air share need arises, the standard hose will be sufficient. Why prohibit split fins, with penetration ruled out, the need for a complete arsenal of alternative finning techniques is eliminated, .. as long as they have bouyancy and trim under control, they can stay sufficiently off the bottom to not muck it up. These are folks who will not dive a lot and likely don't work out a lot, so splits will save a lot of leg cramps and that makes for less stress.

I think that some of those issues are what IB means when he says dir is too much for ow divers. There are millions of non dir ow divers apparently doing alright, most could, no doubt do better .... The point is, that they don't have to be dir, just to be OK.

The crux of the matter is that dir doesn't settle for just OK, they want to be "all you can be" ... and since it's their ball of wax, they get to set the rules.

Those that are not dir, have no rights to try to tell dir what it ought , or ought not to be, and those dir, need not try to impose their thinking on those not dir.

Darlene

sheesh ... how did I get suckered into yet another dir discusion !

Good points and what you're saying I think is that it's possible to do a dive without a Hogarthian equipment configuration. I would agree but...

The equipment configuration matches the techniques used especially emergency responses. Do you need a 7 ft hose in OW to share air? Maybe not but it sure makes if comfy and the hose is stowed in a way that doesn't leave that unsightly, drag rich loop of hose sticking out to the side.

The bc...
Sure you can get trim in any bc but they don't secure the tank as sucurely and in most cases there's mor than 2% additional drag but whatever. They're also just not as clean but yes you could dive in it. Compounding factors are the long HP hoses with boat paddle type consols. More hoses sticking out and clutter. I see more dangling than anything and even when clipped there's that large loop of hose sticking out to the side. Again it just doesn't seem as clean or that it works as well as having a depth gauge on the wrist where it's always visable without changing position and without a long HP hose.

Funny as hell to see a diver trying to ascend on a night with a light in one hand, a console in another and an inflator in another...oops...we ran out of hands didn't we. LOL If they're sharing air during the ascent they've been taught to use the 4th hand to hold onto the buddy. Good plan.

Having diver need to search for an alternate air source doesn't seem like a good idea either. Again I see more gangling than anything else. The less skilled the diver the quicker and easier we need air donating procedures to be. You can argue that the typical messy configuration can be made to work but when I check out syudents prior to starting them in a continueing ed class one of the things I ask them to do is to donate and share air midwater and few are able to pull it off without it turning into a real mess. A short hose just makes it harder. Having to look for an alternate makes it harder and since an OOA diver is likely to end up taking the reg from your mouth anyway it's nice to have your own backup right under your chin close to where you need it.

Same with a compass. Why add length to a HP hose just so you can get a compass out in front of you?
Kicks...

Has nothing to do with diving in an overhead. It has to do with efficient movement and non silting. You live in a tropical paradise where divers can stay 20 ft off the bottom. Here divers swim a bit closer to the Bottom so they can see it and the traditional flutter kick is just murder on the vis and the environment in general. It's funny. They think the vis in our quarries is bad. What they don't realize is that it's only bad when they're there. LOL

A reverse kick is also a very slick tool to help control the distance from as buddy as you ascend or descend.

Part of a back kick is a big help in turning around also as apposed to some of the afflicted techniques we often see.

Now the thing here is that NOTHING that we've talked about here is unique to DIR it's just plain good technique and an equipment configuration that works well.

If a diver preferes a sloppy, dangly configuration, cool but where's the advantage in it?

I've used both and found no advantage in the more typical configuration and methods and did find many disadvantages.

Learning to dive well in a streamlined, functional configuration doesn't cost any more and may cost a good deal less. It makes diving easier and more fun yet we have an arguement here that it's more than a rec diver needs. I think a rec diver especially a newer one will benefit as much or more than any one else.

The less skilled the diver the less of this slop they'll be able to tolorate on a dive. The more skilled the diver the less of this slop they will be willing to tolorate on a dive.

Here's my one example: say you're diving 100 feet to a reef in Cozumel or wherever, and the captain says be back on the boat with 500 psi. First, how do you do that? Second, what if the line is crowded at the 15' stop? Third, do you have the buoyancy and trim skills to get close enough to the reef to see the pretty fish but never come in contact with it? And is any of your gear dragging along the bottom? What happens when your buddy has an OOA? Are you prepared? Are you able to get him gas without your trim and buoyancy going to crap and breaking off some coral? Will you be able to hold your 15' stop with your buddy breathing on your octo?

These are all skills divers should have but don't, and that's what DIRF is for. You need those skills whether you're in Bonaire or New York.

jonnythan:
You need those skills whether you're in Bonaire or New York.

I disagree. New York is one of the extremes like Caifornia and we don't need to address the skills needed in those places here. Lts stick to diving. LOL

roakey:
Easy to say, but totally wrong.

Back this statement up with some facts, please...

Roak
Roak,

Please, you must know by now that floks like this CAN NOT provide examples, they can just say that they've done it diffrent for many years w/ no incident. Its kinda like this: you can drive a Toyota Tercell all you life and think its fine...until that one great day when you get a chance to drive a BMW (or alike) and you say to yourself "Damn i should have done this earlier!"

IB,
You are entitilled to your opinion (obviously)but your gonna have to work on backing you statements up if you wana make folks see your point. Its like me saying "Im the best diver in the world" and when someone ask me why i think that or want proof I simply dont respond or just say some other non-founded statment.

Give us all a break.

There are things worth doing but not worth doing well. It depends on the individual.

Example, I was a trumpet player. I spent lots of time practicing and in training both musically and physically. At the same time I learned to play the saxaphone, but not well. I was not and was never going to be a saxaphone player.

Now, there are some people who take tours underwater. It is worth it to them to learn to dive but not to spend the time and money to learn to dive well.

Then there are divers and people who want to be good divers. These people will spend time, effort and money to learn, practice and become good divers. For them there is no real downside to GUE training and DIR unless they want to do CCR RB or some other speciality that is prohibited in the GUE system. Even then, taking some GUE courses won't hurt them at all and will provide a different viewpoint and a chance to further develop skills.

Another example, I don't have to become a computer programer to use a computer. I don't even need to be a power user to use the computer. I only need to learn enough to do what I want to do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom