DIR/GUE recommendations for dSMB+spool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theriel

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hello,
Considering (in some future) taking GUE Fundamentals, I decided to make sure that all my new purchases are dir-compatible - to keep my options open.

I am a rec diver (40m max) and I am not planning any changes in this matter.

Now... I am looking for a dSMB, mostly for my safety stop, as a signalling device for the skipper. But, I would like it to be as flexible in use as possible - in the case I had to use it in other situations (I am not familiar with other applications in rec diving).

My questions are:
1. What length of spool is "generally" standard/sufficient? 30m (100feet)?
2. What is the difference between cold-water and normal Halcyon spool?
3. Should I get a closed, semi-closed or open dSMB?
4. What should be the length of dSMB? I know that it depends on the use, but what's the best usefulness/bulkiness ratio? I have seen some people recommending 4.5''. Others suggest 6'' DAN.
5. Can I just get a DAN 6'' dSMB and stop asking all these silly and basic questions? :wink:. Anything GUE doesn't like about DAN dSMB?

Thank you for help!

Theriel

1. What length of spool is "generally" standard/sufficient? 30m (100feet)?

How deep do you dive and where do you want to deploy the SMB from? Personally, I use 30m spools - if I have a problem deeper than that, I would generally want to come shallower before worrying about the SMB.

2. What is the difference between cold-water and normal Halcyon spool?

It's easier to use with thick gloves - it's got a lug on hub of the spool which makes it easier, but bulkier.

3. Should I get a closed, semi-closed or open dSMB?

They all have their advantages. The "DIR answer" is use the one that fits your purpose best.

4. What should be the length of dSMB? I know that it depends on the use, but what's the best usefulness/bulkiness ratio? I have seen some people recommending 4.5''. Others suggest 6'' DAN.

I have both a 4.5" and a 6".... I use the smaller one when diving in calm water, ocean sites I would use the 6'. Some places, the 6' is still considered small!

5. Can I just get a DAN 6'' dSMB and stop asking all these silly and basic questions? :wink:. Anything GUE doesn't like about DAN dSMB?

I'm not familiar with the DAN one, to be honest. But as long as it works I doubt that it would cause any issues. You probably just need to make sure that you can orally inflate it. I used my 6' Buddy SMB (A.P.Valves) on both Fundies and Tech 1.

Thank you!

Could anybody help comparing Halcyon dSBM and DAN? Personally (as a big fan of DAN) I would prefer the latter, but I have heard it is quite bulky. Size-wise, is there a big difference? Is it possible to store both of them in the BP/W pocket?

You will not find a better SMB than the Halcyon. The size depends on what kind of diving you plan on doing. If you are diving in the ocean I would get the 4.5' or better yet the 6' closed bag. The problem with the larger one being you need to shoot it from deeper for it to be fully inflated at the surface. I'd also recommend a finger spool 1.5x the greatest depth you plan on shooting it from, so if you're going to shoot it from the bottom at 100' get a 150' spool.

150' spool is the move. Its good for the shallow stuff and shooting a bag from a bit deeper.

As far as which SMB, I prefer closed circuit. It won't lose gas at the surface if you lose tension on the line, and they are a bit easier to inflate. The bigger ones either need more gas in them or to be shot deeper, neither is a big deal. Try to get one bigger than the swell size your diving in. A 4ft tube won't be very visible in rough seas. I also prefer bags with a removable clip on them, so if/when it jams, you don't have to mess up the bag to replace the clip.

Make sure it has an OPV if its a closed circuit bag, or you might pop it :wink:

I personally carry a 150' spool and a 4ft closed Halcyon, and a fat (kinda squat lookin thing) semi closed, also Halcyon, on every ocean dive. That being said, I don't go out when the seas are rough if I can help it (which I usually can...)

theriel, you might consider asking your question on the DIR Explorers board. It's populated primarily by British DIR divers, who can address the best bag for local conditions and local dives. My vague understanding is that the majority of the diving there is wreck diving, and often in rough water; for this, you'd want a bigger bag to be seen, and perhaps a longer spool for deploying off the wreck. I don't know, which is why I think asking local folks might be more profitable.

100ft spool and a 1m Halcyon SMB are what you want for Fundies.

The bigger SMBs take considerable practice to become proficient with and they are next to useless at the depths Fundies is conducted in (~25ft). Best to learn on the smaller bag and then once you are actually diving offshore get another larger bag.

150ft spool isn't really needed until you are diving at least at the Tech1 level (150ft+).

The DAN store is currently offline but IIRC the DAN SMB is quite large and not really suitable to learn with in GUE-F.

I have a 6ft and 3ft Halcyon SMB that replaced the 6ft DAN SMB. The DAN is nice but not even close to how well made the Halcyon is. IMHO..... :D

100ft spool here!!

Thank you all!

@Mayor - thank you for this comparison - that's exactly what I was looking for!
@TSandM - I live in London but I dive mostly warm waters - Red Sea. Too cold for me here :wink:.

It seems like the majority of you uses 4.5' with exceptions for very rough water...

@rjack321 - do you think I could survive Fundies using 4.5' dSMB? You know, 3.3' is really small for future uses...

As for the spool - as usual, I can see that everybody has their own habits and practice :).

100: AndyNZ, rjack321 Mayor - 100
150: PfcAJ

OK, on balance, I will get the 100 ft spool :).

I have a DAN 6' surface marker, how about you get the Halcyon 6' marker and I'll trade you straight up for it. :)

Seriously though, there's no reason you can't use the DAN marker in a GUE class or with GUE divers, it's totally compliant. One nice thing about it is that it is semi-closed, so you can breath out your regulator mouthpiece into the bag to inflate it. However the Halcyon bag is much nicer made, has a bolt snap at the end for if you store it in a MC Pack, and has Solas tape at the top.

Here in SE Asia, many divers store an "oh sh*t" 4.5' or 6' marker in the MC Pack for if they surface in rough seas or with the boat in the distance. But generally use a smaller 3' bag for general use. I'm not sure what is the norm in the UK, however.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom