Dive Flag Awareness Event FL Statewide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You have a great idea here. Be great if this could be done in all states. I was hit by a boat in the early 80's while diving in Green Lake Wisconsin. Two dive flags were out on inner tube floats. I suspect the boater, operating a rented boat was curious about the flags.

I was lucky, I felt the vibration of the motor and dove as hard as I could without even thinking about it. Almost made it, the skeg caught my ankle. I was wearing a 1/4" wet suit with boots. The skeg hit me where there was 2 layers of wet suit. I still have a slight dent in my leg.

Thanks for helping! Contact someone on the listed previous post. I think Jose in Miami can get with you. His email is posted. Black Point is a great location for a Dive Flag Awareness.A lot of divers drag someone behind a boat there and drop off on coral heads. Be nice if the other boaters knew what we were up to. Dive Safe.

Folks,

I see a lot of boat ramps that still don't have a volunteer assigned.
Off the top of my head, I can think of these busy ramps:

Crandon Park - Key Biscayne
George English Park - Fort Lauderdale
Haulover Park - Sunny Isles / North Miami Beach
Watson Island / Miami
14th Street Alsdorf Park - Pompano Beach
Pioneer Park - Deerfield Beach
Dinner Key Ramp - Coconut Grove

A complete list for S FL is here: Boat Ramps In South Florida* ||

I picked up the flyers and I have 100 bumper stickers. The bumper stickers have a dive flag on them and the words 300 Feet / It's the Law! / Save A Life. I also have the petition form.

I offer the following options to get the flyers to the people living/working in Broward County.

1. You can pick up the flyers/bumper stickers at my office in Pompano Beach.

2. You can pick up the flyers/bumper stickers at Fill Express located at 2045 North Dixie Highway, Pompano Beach, FL 33060.

3. I can send the flyers/bumper stickers to you via UPS ground. I will need your full name / address / phone number. I can send these anywhere in the State of Florida, your address does not have to be in Broward County!

4. I can send you the flyer document and you can print and copy them.

Please PM me or email me at tecterri@yahoo.com and let me know which option works best for you. Remember to indicate how many copies you want.

Note: The copies of the flyers I am providing are in black and white. If you have the ability to print/copy in color and wish to do so, I will send you the flyer via email.

Terri

Last edited:
Dan Afeld is covering Seminole Street ramp in Clearwater... so I have the 3 biggest ramps to the Gulf in Tampa Bay covered.

The St Petersburg Times is doing a story on Dive Flag Awarenes too!

Chad

Scubaboard folk rocks! You guys have done an outrageous job of getting together. Your forum communication skills are impressive. We never would have been able to get this kind of coverage without the Volunteer leader organizers like Tasdiver (Terri) and Deepstops (Brian). Thank you all and keep moving. Contact the media to follow up on the press release sent to them. Stve Waters should be doing a story. The TV stations could be prompted to cover this at the ramp. We got 3 stations and 1 newspaper up here so far. GO Get 'Em!!

Last edited:
Randy / Chad / Brian,

Can we get an updated list of ramps with contact information so I can accurately respond to the calls and emails.

THANKS!!

If it is windy and cold will we reschedule?

Excellent question. It's going to be 51F warming up to 53F between 7:30-9:30 AM when I plan on being at the boat ramp. I'll be pretty bundled up hoping for a crazy boater to show up.

If we decide to make this an annual event, let's shoot for April/May which is right at the beginning of the summer boating season.

Hi guys No we are too deepn. We go on Saturday. Even if we don't hit the honeyhole on boaters, we now know how to pull this off and will schedule this for prime time next year. It was importent to get out there now. Thank you all. TAS, I will refine the coordinator volunteerlist and get that out asap. Until then have anyone wanting to help that doesn't have a home email me at info@scuba-works.com and I will redirect them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom