Dive logs and boat diving, have you ever been denied?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never had to show my logbook, only my certifications. Usually they ask for the number of dives and the date of the last one to verify whether you need a refresher

C Cards only....Visa and AMEX are more important than the number of or how recent a dive was...I do have the last 50 or so dives on my computer they can look at, but have never been asked to.

.I do have the last 50 or so dives on my computer they can look at, but have never been asked to.

I never even thought of that. If asked to show when my last dive was, just hand them my computer. What a concept.

Been asked about how recent, how deep, how often, a number of times. Only time an actual log book was looked at was SDI MSD and PADI DM. But I had certs across multiple agencies and multiple instructors so they were just verifying the prereqs.

I do carry an abbreviated log book with me. Last few dives.

Just Curious.
Have you ever been denied getting on a boat and diving anywhere in the world because you didn’t have a log book for them to look at?
I haven’t kept a log book in years, I stopped somewhere about 300 dives several years ago. I figured it was pointless because I mostly dived solo and local, and there was a lot of freediving involved. I honestly don’t know how many dives I have and don’t really care.
I’m wondering about boat access though. I have to admit, I’m kind of a travel know nothing, I don’t get out much. Do they look at your gear and an AOW card and figure good enough, or does it go beyond that?

Eric...

This question has been answered in great detail on a similar SB thread...search ''What Logbook To Get''...

To answer your question...yes...I have been asked to show logbook verification of previous open ocean dives...verification of ''cold water dives''...and have on two occasions witnessed two divers being denied charter bookings in NC...because they had no logbooks...

I've said before...where would we all be as a ''human race''...if someone didn't take time to write things down...

The first time I dove the U-352...the Arabia...and the Corsair wreck off Oahu...were dives that will stay with me always...I can go back in my logbook and its all there...not having recorded them would be like never having been there...

Seasons Greetings...

Warren

Not to sound too much like a fanboy but @Eric Sedletzky is having a rough go this month. Notified that back plates pre-dated the internet and now informed of the search feature of a board that he’s been on for a decade.

I've never been asked about a logbook, even when taking classes. For the places I dive, they only want to see a card, typically Visa or Mastercard.
Same here. They usually ask when your last dive was and sometimes how many you've done. One place actually may have looked at the book just because I had it with me.

Been asked about how recent, how deep, how often, a number of times. Only time an actual log book was looked at was SDI MSD and PADI DM. But I had certs across multiple agencies and multiple instructors so they were just verifying the prereqs.

I do carry an abbreviated log book with me. Last few dives.

Hey Steve...

I think as we get older...we'll be asked more...

Can't you just picture it...''Did you check-out the logbook on geezer over there with the rebreather...and the walker''...

Seasons Greetings...

Warren

It was a big deal when I got certified in the 80s through the 90s seemed like every operation demanded a logbook and if you didn't have a dive in the last 6 months they would make you do a refresher (usually free).

I think the prevelance of logbooks is inversely proportional to the use of dive computers. Not that everyone uses a computer there is less need for the paper books.

I don't think I've been asked for a logbook in 15+ years. I do still keep a paper logbook, very few if any of my friends do.

Do you dive with a computer? If so, just download and print. Quite a few tropical resorts require you to have a computer anyway, especially to use Nitrox.

I'd just show my phone! I keep my digital logs there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom