Dive Master Course Delayed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tstormwarning:
...It seems a Dive Master course I was very much looking forward to will be delayed (bummer):( .... It seems that some of the people interested are seniors in high school....

Am I the only one who finds the above concept slightly concerning? Yup Yup nothing I'd like better than handing my friend / family member to an 18 year old divemaster....:shakehead

I got an email from someone in Indy wanting to do an ice dive this weekend. With any luck we will have thick enough ice. Who is in for this?? We need enough people to tender and such.

Drysuit came today...it doesn't fit! So I'm out...Thanks Anyway guys!

Scuba-Jay:
Am I the only one who finds the above concept slightly concerning? Yup Yup nothing I'd like better than handing my friend / family member to an 18 year old divemaster....:shakehead

What's so bad about an 18yr old dive master? Are they not held to the same standards as everyone else? Some would say at 18 they wouldn't be mature enough, but then I've seen 18yr olds that are much more mature than some 50yr olds. At 18 they are legally adults. At 18 they can vote, sign contracts & be bound to them, they are adults as far as the law is concerned & they can serve our country in uniform. I learned a long time ago, just because someone is young, it doesn't mean that they're inferior. Yes there are some rotten apples here & there, but that is with any age group. Unfortunately it's the bad ones that give a bad reputation to the others. Don't rush to judgement, just because someone is young. In fact one of these seniors wanting to take the course is the son of one of the dive masters at my LDS. He has been diving since he was 12. I was in a rescue diver course with him & his skills put me to shame. He was very serious about the course& about diving & I'm absolutely sure that his father was very proud of him.

I'm sure that there are some 18 year olds out there who have the ability, the experience and the maturity to Dive Master, but not most.. Its not just the certification, its the years of diving, number of dives, types of dives and the ability to recognize problems and deal with them before they become serious which makes a DM a DM. I myself am a new (and i guess relatively young DM) and I'll be the first to admit that I need many more dives before I could call myself an experienced DM...but at least I have the years and a few dives under my belt. You're average 18 year old kid doesn't have the years and probably doesn't have the dives either. All it takes is 50 (fifty) dives to get your cert...thats not a DM, its a kid with a DM card. Do ya' see the difference? (=

Jay

Hey, for those of you in the KPP, if any of you are interested, Pennyroyal has put on their sight that they are looking for volunteers for sinking the cabin cruiser. They are planning on sinking it off the main dock in about 90' of water. There is a forum attached to the site in which you can voice your interest (if you plan on helping out you must put it in the forum- I think it's titled "sinking the Blue Dolphin"). They are wanting to sink it some time in March, however they haven't set a date. They are waiting to see what weekend they can get the most divers together (I think they are looking for about 8 divers) for both the underwater portion & for surface support. I have read on another forum that they are also offering free air & waiving entry fees for the day (even after the sinking) for those that help with the sinking. So, if anyone is interested in helping with the sinking leave the date(s) in which you would available.

Probably sink it the same time I am in Vegas.
Thanks for the info though.

crpntr133:
Probably sink it the same time I am in Vegas.
Thanks for the info though.

Going to Vegas for the diving, right. :wink:

Unfortunately the dive gear is staying at home. The GF and I are going to visit my aunt and uncle and she wants to go see the Grnad Canyon. When I get back it is dive time.

Anybody up for a dive the 24-25. With the forecasted temps it shouldn't be an ice dive.

crpntr133:
Unfortunately the dive gear is staying at home. The GF and I are going to visit my aunt and uncle and she wants to go see the Grnad Canyon. When I get back it is dive time.

Anybody up for a dive the 24-25. With the forecasted temps it shouldn't be an ice dive.

Have fun. Pack warm. The Canyon will be cold this time of year, and possibly snowy.

Assuming the ice is gone I would be very interested in diving on 2/24. Touch base once your back and we can see what the weather's been up to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom