Dive Operators in Sharm el Sheik's Shark Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

<disclaimer>All this is hearsay or personal preference<disclaimer>

Sorry Pilotfish, I haven't been there often enough to say anything meaningful about your last question.

I've seen crowded cattle boats disgorge dozens of snorkelers at a time onto the reefs. Can't say which outfit these boats belonged to. Probably one that caters to Russians :crafty:

Look, there are three large dive ops that keep coming up when people ask for info on professional outfits: Camel, Emperor and Sinai. Emperor is huge, and diving there is 'kinda unpersonal', so I've heard. If Camel is having success as a business, they'll be going that way too. Don't know about Sinai, but I suppose the same applies. Quality and consistency of service come with larger numbers.

But any charm is lost in the process.

There is no advantage to choosing the hotel dive op over another if you'll be doing day boats out of the harbor. By a lucky coincidence you chose a hotel that is close to both the harbor and Naama bay. If you can find a dive op that offers boats out of Naama bay (some do, Camel may) you can spare yourself the congestion at the main jetty in the harbor. It's quite a sight: Boats jostling for position, diesel fumes, supplies and stacks of tank being carted to the boats, and divers everywhere. Hundreds of them! :11:

Art

What is helpful to know is that I gain no advantage by using the in-hotel dive op. The scene you portray of the harbor is a bit discouraging.

ArthurGerla:
<disclaimer>All this is hearsay or personal preference<disclaimer>

Sorry Pilotfish, I haven't been there often enough to say anything meaningful about your last question.

I've seen crowded cattle boats disgorge dozens of snorkelers at a time onto the reefs. Can't say which outfit these boats belonged to. Probably one that caters to Russians :crafty:

Look, there are three large dive ops that keep coming up when people ask for info on professional outfits: Camel, Emperor and Sinai. Emperor is huge, and diving there is 'kinda unpersonal', so I've heard. If Camel is having success as a business, they'll be going that way too. Don't know about Sinai, but I suppose the same applies. Quality and consistency of service come with larger numbers.

But any charm is lost in the process.

There is no advantage to choosing the hotel dive op over another if you'll be doing day boats out of the harbor. By a lucky coincidence you chose a hotel that is close to both the harbor and Naama bay. If you can find a dive op that offers boats out of Naama bay (some do, Camel may) you can spare yourself the congestion at the main jetty in the harbor. It's quite a sight: Boats jostling for position, diesel fumes, supplies and stacks of tank being carted to the boats, and divers everywhere. Hundreds of them! :11:

Art

pilot fish:
The scene you portray of the harbor is a bit discouraging.
Owww, come on, it'll be fun! :wink:

Tell you what: I'm in Sharm tomorrow morning, inshallah. I'll ask around for you.

Art

ArthurGerla:
Owww, come on, it'll be fun! :wink:

Tell you what: I'm in Sharm tomorrow morning, inshallah. I'll ask around for you.

Art

That's great, Art. Thanks.

Right now I'm dealing with a screw up by the travel agent on my current dive trip to Belize [ she has me in a bad, standard room -too small, not what I booked ] so I can't focus on Sharm totally just yet.

Have a great time in Sharm tomorrow

Art and PF - the marina in Sharm looks like you described in the peak season - you can see the photo of it I did once - it's in the gallery. But - OK maybe I'm crazy but I like this mess there :wink: It has some sort of atmosphere. And while in Egypt you have to stop thinking in the European way. Everything there takes time, nobody is in a hurry - just do the same and life is easier. Otherwise you will get angry.
Also many of boats are packed with people. This is why I dive with smaller diving centre.
And still among Europeans nationalities number one are Italians, then Russians, Poles, French and others.
In May I dove with a group of Russians and must tell you - they were good divers and very nice guys. We had a lot of fun on the boat.
Mania

mania:
Art and PF - the marina in Sharm looks like you described in the peak season - you can see the photo of it I did once - it's in the gallery. But - OK maybe I'm crazy but I like this mess there :wink: It has some sort of atmosphere. And while in Egypt you have to stop thinking in the European way. Everything there takes time, nobody is in a hurry - just do the same and life is easier. Otherwise you will get angry.
Also many of boats are packed with people. This is why I dive with smaller diving centre.
And still among Europeans nationalities number one are Italians, then Russians, Poles, French and others.
In May I dove with a group of Russians and must tell you - they were good divers and very nice guys. We had a lot of fun on the boat.
Mania

You are right, of course. Mexico can be like that too, but it's a lot of fun. You need to relax and have fun. The crowded boat thing though is a bit of a beach. That is why, if I go to Sharm, I will stay 9 nights instead of 7. Better to get acclimated.

I'll ask around for you.
I'm back.

Apparently, Emperor boats leave from Naama bay for Tiran and from the harbor for Ras Mohammed. The girl behind the counter at Camel told me all Camel boats leave from Naama bay. The Sinai Divers counter was closed when I dropped by.

I had a GREAT time with Dive Africa (hi Mac!) this week. We had a huge boat to ourselves, saw some blacktip sharks and went to the Thistlegorm. All firsts for me.

Art

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom