dive shop loyalty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swinging pink

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
As a new DM how loyal do I need to be to the dive shop I did my certification with?

I liked my instructors until i was done being a student and got to work a little closer and could see the shady crap that go's on.
I'm not saying all dive shops or instructors are like that but I don't want to be tied to a shop or individual like that.

When a shop or instructor's practices begin to go against your morals and ethics then you owe them absolutely no loyalty at all. And as a professional if what you are seeing is truly shady and goes against standards you are obligated to report them. Not doing so makes you as bad as them and an accessory to the shady doings.

I agree with Jim's reply 100%. As for whether you must stay with a dive shop or not,.. depends on the agency you are certified under. Some agencies like PADI, NAUI & others, allow their professionals to be independent, Other agencies like SSI, SDI,... require their professionals to be affiliated.

Personally, I've been very blessed to be affiliated with a very good dive shop that treats me well, encourages me to go above & beyond in teaching my students & also demands that all standards be adhered to, if not exceeded. I am made to feel as if I am truly a professional & I extend that same courtesy to the assistants that help me out. In my opinion I'm in a win/win/ win situation between my LDS, my assistants & myself.

Maybe I'll ask he shop I used to work with what they think of this question.

As a new DM how loyal do I need to be to the dive shop I did my certification with?

I liked my instructors until i was done being a student and got to work a little closer and could see the shady crap that go's on.
I'm not saying all dive shops or instructors are like that but I don't want to be tied to a shop or individual like that.

Unless the dive shop owner is your spouse, you owe them no loyalty whatsoever ... it's a business transaction. If the goods and services they provide don't meet your needs or expectations, there's always someone else who will ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

thanks. I've been struggling on just what to do.
and off I go. happy hunting.
thanks.

... perhaps he just hasn't gotten around to changing his dive profile ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Be loyal to those who deserve it. Those who don't pass muster (IE doing "shady crap") don't deserve your loyalty because they will abuse it and put you in a bad position eventually.

I am not a DM or a dive pro but it's a good general rule in life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom