dive shop loyalty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always found that to be an odd concept. I like the folks who run my chosen dive shop ... can't say the same for most members of my family ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
We have a special situation. Our dive group at our store is the "Beaver Family Divers". Do you know what you call a group of Beavers?

Again, I feel that you need to move on to another store.

Let's also clear up the notion that passing a DM curriculum somehow makes you a dive professional. You need 60 dives and a lot of money to become a DM. Many go through class-after-class-after-class with little to no real-world diving experience. Quite a few don't really even know why they became a DM ... they just got talked into it, or decided it was a good way to improve their diving skills. They're borderline competent divers ... at best ... with a shiny new card and not nearly enough experience to consider themselves "professional".

Perhaps this is part of the "shady" the OP is talking about ... in a "used car salesman" sort of context. I see way too much of that to feel comfortable assuming someone's a "professional" simply because they hold a DM card ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The proof is always in what the shop wants to do with you after you complete said expensive DM course. If they're willing to put you infront of paying customers or infront of club members for group dives then it's fair to say you're not incompetent.

I have seen the odd DM "worked out" of the working group in my local dive shop mainly because while he didn't do anything to constitute an ass kicking by the store they certainly didn't make a great advocate for the business.

some divers are better at completing DM duties (including emergencies) @ 60 dives than other divers with 100's of dives.

This is an problem for the individual who disrepsect the ladies, may or may not related to the dive shop. If it is the dive shop owner, or if the owner enrouage this kind of behavior, then I would get the heck out of there as soon as I can. Now if it is not the owner and the owner doesn't know about it, I will probably tell the owner.

... and if the owner knows about it and tolerates the behavior, then they are equally culpable. Discrimination of any sort should not be tolerated in any business relationship. If it occurs once, it should be grounds for reprimand. If it occurs more than once, it should be grounds for termination. No excuses, no exceptions.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added April 4th, 2012 at 07:00 AM ----------

The proof is always in what the shop wants to do with you after you complete said expensive DM course. If they're willing to put you infront of paying customers or infront of club members for group dives then it's fair to say you're not incompetent.

I have seen the odd DM "worked out" of the working group in my local dive shop mainly because while he didn't do anything to constitute an ass kicking by the store they certainly didn't make a great advocate for the business.

some divers are better at completing DM duties (including emergencies) @ 60 dives than other divers with 100's of dives.

What I had in mind are people who go through the DM training with no intention of working for a dive shop or charter. It happens quite often where I live ... and I wonder what the percentage would be of DM grads who never actually work in a DM capacity. I would guess it's probably pretty high ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My assessment of this time honored question is this:

I keep putting enough money into my LDS as a way to make sure that they continue to be open, and there when I need something right now! (small parts, etc.) If I see something online that is WAY cheaper than what they are offering, then I have to go that route. I have to do what's best for my pocket!

That said... I HAVE seen the odd item that they did have at a very competitive price, or cheaper...case in point, I wanted to get a new dive computer and checked the usual online outlets to see who had it cheaper.... I wandered over to the dive shop on a night that a friend of mine was working, and asked "So how much is that here?" It was actually SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than any of the online places, so I picked it up right then and there...

Now, as far as air fills? I have a friend that formerly worked there, who bought his own compressor (Nitrox/Trimix capable as well) and I use him for fills because A. he's cheaper, (he charges on consumption rather than a flat fee) B. He's much more convenient and C. I think he takes much better care of his equipment than the LDS does. (granted they ARE within specs, but he goes the extra mile)

They know I have taken my business elsewhere, and they know why, when I do. It's a large industry, and a lot of people are trying to make money...I spread my dollars around!

It's an old topic tossed around scubaboard for many years. If the staff are nice, prices are competitive and you like them, by all means use the shop often. If they are jerks, browbeat, upsell, oversell, guilt trip, or otherwise harass, then find a different shop.

My assessment of this time honored question is this:

I keep putting enough money into my LDS as a way to make sure that they continue to be open, and there when I need something right now! (small parts, etc.) If I see something online that is WAY cheaper than what they are offering, then I have to go that route. I have to do what's best for my pocket!

That said... I HAVE seen the odd item that they did have at a very competitive price, or cheaper...case in point, I wanted to get a new dive computer and checked the usual online outlets to see who had it cheaper.... I wandered over to the dive shop on a night that a friend of mine was working, and asked "So how much is that here?" It was actually SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than any of the online places, so I picked it up right then and there...

Now, as far as air fills? I have a friend that formerly worked there, who bought his own compressor (Nitrox/Trimix capable as well) and I use him for fills because A. he's cheaper, (he charges on consumption rather than a flat fee) B. He's much more convenient and C. I think he takes much better care of his equipment than the LDS does. (granted they ARE within specs, but he goes the extra mile)

They know I have taken my business elsewhere, and they know why, when I do. It's a large industry, and a lot of people are trying to make money...I spread my dollars around!

It's an old topic tossed around scubaboard for many years. If the staff are nice, prices are competitive and you like them, by all means use the shop often. If they are jerks, browbeat, upsell, oversell, guilt trip, or otherwise harass, then find a different shop.

This is about loyalty as a DM, not as a regular customer. The question is whether or not you "owe" anything in terms of loyalty to a shop where you received your DM training (or any other training I assume) not just where you get your air fills and buy your stuff.

The same goes if you are a DM. You are still a customer and if you aren't able to find the item at a competitive price, go elsewhere. If the owner treats customers poorly and doesn't share the same values as you do, then definitely go somewhere else.

I am fortunate as so far in the 7 years since being certified I have found that it's a pretty good shop. They're not petty about people buying stuff elsewhere (online, etc) and bringing it in for repair (why would they, it's money for them). The only problem I have had so far is classes I wanted to take being cancelled/rescheduled, mostly due to lack of enough students for the specialties (but that is probably a common thing and at times something you can't really blame them for). I am also fortunate as it is the only "real" shop for a very long distance -- actually they just opened another branch in the city. So I would have no choice to really go elsewhere anyway. I'm not worried about them ever folding due to the business they do. I have, however been in more normal situations in the South U.S. and have gone to whichever of several shops does the best for me. There are a number of shops on the FL panhandle. The ones not permitting shell collecting will not find me on their boats.

This is about loyalty as a DM, not as a regular customer. The question is whether or not you "owe" anything in terms of loyalty to a shop where you received your DM training (or any other training I assume) not just where you get your air fills and buy your stuff.

Well if you're working FOR them shouldn't they be giving you breaks on fills/gear/etc.? If not then see my "model"...you get what you give, and if the giving isn't getting, then you need to go where your better interests lie! Just because my LDS certified me, etc. I don't feel a need to toss every dollar I spend on diving in there!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom