dive shop loyalty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you have already paid them for your education (money, work, or someway else) then you're clear, I think.

I agree with the general consensus as presented. But once you locate a reputable shop with quality staff that follows proper safe diving and training protocols, it is very much in your interest to affiliate. Local shops often offer their affiliated professionals a discount on equipment purchases and rentals, they can be the source of class assignments, and if they sponsor dive trips for groups, you may have the chance to work your way into leading some of those trips. I am loyal to my local shop for those reasons- reasons that benefit me. I also have developed long term friendships with the former owner, present owner and staff. Hopefully you can do the same with one or more lds in your area. Welcome to the world of professional diving. It is worth your while to develop relationships, and demonstrate loyalty to competent members of that profession.
DivemasterDennis
DivemasterDennis

At this point you should feel that you are part of their " family ".

You should be looking for a better shop.

At this point you should feel that you are part of their " family ".

I always found that to be an odd concept. I like the folks who run my chosen dive shop ... can't say the same for most members of my family ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

We were in the exact same situation as you. Needless to say we parted company and eventually started our own diveshop. Many of our students including 2 divemasters were in agreement and followed us to the new shop.

Surprised this hasn't been asked. At least not from what ive read so far. What do you consider "shady"? I'm kinda playing devils advocate here but there are some practices that are common in the sales world that the layperson would probably consider shady. For example, every year we see those black Friday commercials ( at least in the US) advertising "up to 30% off" and such. What happens a lot of the time is that the store will raise the list price for the duration of the sale so the % off will make less of a difference. You still might be saving money but perhaps as much as expected. However, if a shop is selling goods and/or services that are unsafe or straight up lying to you, that is something else altogether.

Dive safe

Let's back this up a bit. From a dive shop owner's point of view, what is shady? Did you approach anyone at the shop and ask why they do things the way they do? As someone who is becoming a "dive professional" I would ask you to behave in a professional manner. Once you report a dive shop you may do irreparable damage to the shop, owner and other staff-who may have nothing to do with your concern. Why not start by telling us the "shady" practices that are going on? I'll give you an example of something that someone might see as shady. You might see me put something from my pool gear on the wall for sale. Shady, selling used goods? Or maybe I only had one in stock and let someone try it out in th pool so they could make up their mind? You be the judge, but if you told folks I was selling used goods as newwe would have some serious words and you would never work for me. You at least owe the shop the courtesy of talking to them first.

Also, let's be honest about this. As a business, a lot of what you did is borderline "shady." Like your scenario above, abyss...that could be considered shady and is definitely borderline. Would I mind? Yes...but I'm picky. My LDS has done something similar...but they only had it on the wall to advertise, they quickly "expensed" it as rental and replaced it with one NIB. If something is unsafe, like removing parts to get a service fee added to the price, would deserve them getting reported.

HOWEVER....they do deserve a chance, first. Talk to your LDS, ask them about it. If it was just one person, talk to him one-on-one. Even if they're the owner, the worst they can do is fire you.....and if you're thinking of leaving anyway, who cares? Tell us a few examples of what they've done. Keep it vague as to who it is. I think the *level* of shady is what makes the difference.

Correct me if I am wrong, but some of the SB members above seem to think that swinging pink has some obligation to speak with his old dive shop to try to "work it out." Since swinging pink has not named the shop or the "shady practice" I think that he is in the clear.

Now, swinging pink, perhaps you mistook a normal business practice for something shady. However, since it bothered you enough to post and since you seems to have observed the interactions of the staff with patrons for some time, I am willing to assume that you did witness something shady.

Like others said - if you paid for the training in full, you have no further obligation to them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom