Divemaster Class with BP & Wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This may demonstrate your point because I am new to diving and I do not even know what an air 2 is??? Can someone explain...

Thanks
Phil

Thanks for the info... The instructor says it's in "his" PADI instructors manual, I looked in the 2006 manual and I find nothing. He says "he's" the instructor and what he says goes... This kind of put me off when he said this and I asked for a refund from the shop. They stated that they don't give refunds, and I could use it for credit in thier shop. Looks like I'll be contacting my CC company on Tuesday.

Good idea, this guy sounds like a jerk. Perhaps he still has 'SuperDiver' syndrome...

pwwm:
How can you demonstrate some of the skills if you are not using similar equipment as the students? What you use whilst diving for "fun" is one thing but whereas I have not seen anywhere that you cannot use your backplate for assisting, personally I would ask any DM 's of mine to use a conventional bcd or wing when assisting me in a class, and I have done so.
pwwm

I taught in a bp/wing for a long time and didn't have any trouble demonstrating skills but when you are paying a DM to assist with a class that you are conducting you get to make the rules.

In this case, we're not talking about a working DM but rather a student. It sounds like the instructor is having trouble figuring out how the direction of money flow effects the rules.

Hi Chris

Good luck with the CC company, I would like to hear how this one goes. I got burned once by a shop I no longer do business with when they gave me the "we only give store credit" line. They had no signs posted as such. That wasn't for very much money so I used the credit and they have never gotten another penny from me. In fact I found 2 really nice LDS' since I got aggrevated and looked around a bit more - looking back I should thank them. Best thing that happened to me.

As for the gear config, the instructor that I dm for likes me to wear the long hose, bungied octo, bp and wing. That way I can demonstrate what the students might encounter. I also will bring my wife's ranger and SS1 rig to demo.

I also know instructors who think this is wrong, they look at it from the standpoint that the instructor has a macho techy thing going on and that it is confusing for the students.

I personally have the same feelings as RJP. I would have liked to have seen differing configurations in my OW class.

MikeFerrara:
...but when you are paying a DM to assist with a class...

Cool - what planet is THAT on?

:)

our lds requires you to use thier gear. you dont get to bring gear to the pool that didnt come from thier shop. gotta love a market with few choices

The instructor I had for AOW always dove twins with the 7' setup, cannister light etc and the DM's had singles with 40 cu slung and 7' set-up. didn't recall a snorkle anywhere either. We all hung out disgussing gear config, pro's and cons etc and some suggestions to improve current set-up etc.

Most had thier own gear, tanks etc and we buddied up as necessary. I liked the idea of diving with my own set-up and the healthy attitude of the instructor. I got to see a few different things.

As was mentioned earlier the narrow mindedness of the instructor in question is very detrimental to the learning process. I doubt you would ever see gear configurations "exactly" identical working as a DM and it is a lot safer to be comfortable in the gear set up you will be using after the class as well as during.

Can't believe "No Refund", would never do buisness thier again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFerrara
...but when you are paying a DM to assist with a class...

Cool - what planet is THAT on?

:)

My card collection:
OW/AOW/EANx/PPB/Dry Suit/Boat/Wreck/Rescue/DM-In Training

I was wondering the same thing! DM's getting paid!!?? Wow! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom