Divemaster Class with BP & Wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrisc:
Thanks for the info... The instructor says it's in "his" PADI instructors manual, I looked in the 2006 manual and I find nothing. He says "he's" the instructor and what he says goes... This kind of put me off when he said this and I asked for a refund from the shop. They stated that they don't give refunds, and I could use it for credit in thier shop. Looks like I'll be contacting my CC company on Tuesday.

Good idea. I would also contact PADI though. We don't need instructors like that out there. He doesn't write the rules that he wants to enforce, PADI writes the rules that he must enforce. If he is making up his own rules because he is close-minded to other setups or just because he wasn't popular as a kid and can't handle the power now then he needs to be taken care of. Let PADI know and they can set him straight, put him on restriction as an instructor or revoke his credentials. We are not hurting so much for instructors out there that people should have to deal with the ones like that.

RJP:
Cool - what planet is THAT on?

:)

LOL, it's not my fault that DM's work for free...and let some instructor dictate what they are going to wear too.

An employee has to play by the bosses rules but employees, by definition, get paid. Maybe it's the DM's that need to wise up?

I just completed my DiveCon (SSI DiveMaster and Asst. Instructor) course using somewhat non-traditional equipment. I started with my Knighthawk BCD but during the course switched to a BP/W. I have used a bungeed octo for a long time and just continued using that.

I've begun helping out with dive classes at my LDS and I'm going to revert to the Knighthawk with a standard configuration. I honestly believe my setup, while intriguing to a lot of students, also provides some confusion. I am also taking the SSI Instructor course and for that, I'm going with the standard BCD, short hose and slipped Octo.

One consideration here, for these classes you will spend quite a bit of time not actually at depth. I find a standard BCD slightly easier to manage at the surface, so at least there is some consolation.

Personally, I don't think any of the certifying agencies should dictate equipment configuration for anyone because there are simply too many variables. I do understand the notion of having students wearing pretty much the same gear as their instructors and dive masters. That just makes sense.

I do discuss with students that there are many gear configurations and learning which works best for each diver is an important part of becoming proficient. But facts are facts and the vast majority of divers are going to utilize the set-up they learned with.

Jeff

BC's come in so many configurations with different types of straps, clips, weight pockets, releases and whatever other garbage the toy companies can think up to put on them, just exactly what is standard or "conventional"? The wing itself, is of course, just a bag with a power inflator and operates just like the ones on a "conventional" BC except they usually don't have 40 different dumps that nobody needs. How can using a simple harness and plate complicate the teaching process? Some of these instructors just aren't thinking things through.

As for air donation, with air2 type gadgets being popular donating the primary isn't anything unusual. I donate the primary and put my backup on a necklace. I always showed students other configurations but I'm pretty convinced that this works the best and it's what I put students in too, so we were all using the same thing.

I know this idea of pinning the alternate in the "golden triangle" someplace is popular but that doesn't make it consistant, dependable, streamline or...good. Everyone puts them in a little different place, in a little different kind of clip. They free flow, get handed off upside down, come loose and dangle, are sometimes hard to find in a hurry, either hard to unclip or hard to restow and all those hoses that are too long and poorly routed make big drag inducing and unsightly loops. It's a mess and even new divers are usually quick to see the problems with it when shown an alternative.

The real issue here is, who is going to buy all the pretty colored toys on the dive shop shelves if we're all using a simple harness (a couple bucks worth of weight belt webbing) to hold our plate and wing on and $0.25 worth of shock cord to hold our backups (which are real regs)?

Spoke with PADI this week and they said no probem using a BP/W, so talked with LDS on Monday, they still say no way I can't use them. Contacted my bank on Monday and filed a dispute, they reversed the charge, now Friday I get a call from the LDS telling me they are going to take me to court if I do not reverse the reversal!

Sounds to me like an empty threat. They would need some contractual grounds to sue you.

fwiw - I completed my DM (PADI no less) this summer and used my HOG rig. No one else on staff at the lds dives a hog rig. My instructor did not have a problem with it, however he did point out areas of confusion that I might encounter and that if I took up instruction I would want more lift than my wing provides. I did ask him if he would prefer I used a traditional kit for the class and he said it was not necessary. Next will be my instructor course with him ... I must say that I have much more respect for someone who works with me to accomplish my goals than to force me to accept theirs (unless they are paying me ... then it's their right to do so) At the same time I also expect/appreciate being told why they think their "way" of doing something is better... after all I'm the student and am there to learn all I can.

Hope you get this all sorted out to both your satisfactions.

Aloha, Tim

chrisc:
Spoke with PADI this week and they said no probem using a BP/W, so talked with LDS on Monday, they still say no way I can't use them. Contacted my bank on Monday and filed a dispute, they reversed the charge, now Friday I get a call from the LDS telling me they are going to take me to court if I do not reverse the reversal!

Why are you escalating this? Just use their rental gear and get the course done.

Sheesh.

R..

Why would I want to spend ~$100 for crappy rental equipment (the charge $20/day for a BCD) when I have my equipment? I have already signed up at another place and they have no problem with my equipment. The point being that the 1st LDS was closer to my house.

chrisc:
Why would I want to spend ~$100 for crappy rental equipment (the charge $20/day for a BCD) when I have my equipment? I have already signed up at another place and they have no problem with my equipment. The point being that the 1st LDS was closer to my house.

Why would you have to pay? Since PADI doesn't require it and you have gear it's on the shop to run the costs if they want you in something else. Anyway it sounds like a moot point.

Don't forget to get a referral. :eyebrow:

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom