Divemaster Class with BP & Wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001:
Why would you have to pay? Since PADI doesn't require it and you have gear it's on the shop to run the costs if they want you in something else. Anyway it sounds like a moot point.

Don't forget to get a referral. :eyebrow:

R..

Why would he want to train with a shop like this? Going to a shop with a much better attitude sounds like the right choice to me. After all he will probably be acting as a DM through the shop that trained him.

gcbryan:
Why would he want to train with a shop like this? Going to a shop with a much better attitude sounds like the right choice to me. After all he will probably be acting as a DM through the shop that trained him.

Good point.

R..

Diver0001:
Why are you escalating this? Just use their rental gear and get the course done.

Sheesh.

R..

From a students point of view. When I frist started training, I looked not only to the DI but the DMs for examples of bouyancy control. If the OP has dialed in his buoyancy control, trim, and in water attitude using the BP/Wing, and there are differences in how ones dives a jacket BC vs. a BP/Wing, then to ask him to undertake a course as difficult (or so I've been told it is a challenging course) as the DM course in unfamiliar gear, for what appears to be no more reason than the DI's personal biased attitude, is ridiculous.

If the OP had dialed in his skills using the BP/Wing, than there should be no reason to ask him to switch. If he can demonstrate the skills that the DM is supposed to in his BP/Wing, then there is really no logical reason to make him switch.

As to the whole, boss pays the empolyee so the employee should just shut up, well that works in an office job,,or with computers etc, but your life doesn't rely on how you use the equipment supplied. But diving is entering a potentially hostile environment, and making the DM switch over to unfamiliar gear, again just for the ego and attitiude of the DI/LDS, then you're potentially placing the DM and the studetnt he babysitting, in potential danger. If he has issues with the gear he's forced to use, his effectiveness could be adversely effected.

I'd go with a regular BCD. I was stressed during my DM skill check off dives in the pool. I used my old BCD. The underwater equipment exchange was a lot easier wearing a regular BCD then using a backplate and wings. Your partner has to put your BCD on underwater and if he isn't familiar with your equipment he will be put at an unfair disadvantage. Remeber you will be doing this skill while sharing one air source, you won't be using an Octo. Besides, why take your good equipment in the pool and have it bleached out. When I was helping out with classes I always wore a crappy BCD in the pool and my good BCD in open water.

I'd go with a regular BCD. I was stressed during my DM skill check off dives in the pool. I used my old BCD. The underwater equipment exchange was a lot easier wearing a regular BCD then using a backplate and wings. Your partner has to put your BCD on underwater and if he isn't familiar with your equipment he will be put at an unfair disadvantage. Remeber you will be doing this skill while sharing one air source, you won't be using an Octo. Besides, why take your good equipment in the pool and have it bleached out. When I was helping out with classes I always wore a crappy BCD in the pool and my good BCD in open water.

Why would you exchange gear underwater? Is this just an exercise in co-ordination or does it have a point?

Its an exercise in cooperation and problem solving under a bit of stress.

You do the task while buddy breathing as well. Further you have just a brief period of time to plan it out.

Resolving the problem should add a bit of confidence to the DM candidate in his or her ability to deal with the unanticipated.

Is this switching gear new? Looking over my slates and in the instructors guide there is no mention of "switching" gear.

The instructor where I work loves it when I bring the wing in and use it. It gives him a chance to show one more system to th students and from a sales perspective the possibility of another sale. Its a win win and makes sense.

As stated in a previous post, students come in with all sorts of configurations. The DM and Instructor need to know them all and the students must familiarize themselves with what thier buddy is wearing. Teaching one configuration only or limiting to that is just plain unrealistic.

I used rental gear, Class Gear, My vest BC and my wing in the DM course. I used my wing in the rescue course which complicated some of the rescue and added alot to the class. The complication was the unfamiliar aspect of the gear. It turned out to be a really good thing for the class.

Too bad he won't give your money back. One more strike against him in my book.

Scooter

Tollie:
Its an exercise in cooperation and problem solving under a bit of stress.

You do the task while buddy breathing as well. Further you have just a brief period of time to plan it out.

Resolving the problem should add a bit of confidence to the DM candidate in his or her ability to deal with the unanticipated.

Tollie

I still don't get the point.
Sure its a "Fun" excersise but in a situation that required buddy breathing, the "Realistic" thing to do it get to te surface of another air source. Not waste time swapping gear that probably isn't a fit or adjusted correctly. In a real word situation this is a recipe for disaster. Training in all aspects should be real world. I would hate for a panicked Diver to want to swap my gear because he is out of air... A reaction to some useless training he recieved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom