Divemaster course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In RE the visa question:

It's not hard to get an education visa for dive training, but the paperwork has to be completed outside Thailand at a consulate, and it requires the school in Thailand to send some documents for submission as well. Most of us are willing and able to do this for DMTs. You request the visa length that is appropriate for the type of training you want. I have personally only asked for 3-month renewable/extendable visas for DMTs, but zero to hero instructor programmes are at minimum 6-months, so the visa would need to be longer in that case.

The 15-day visa is only issued at land/sea border crossings to tourists who have not obtained a tourist visa ahead of time at a Thai consulate (or who got a single-entry visa and already used it for an earlier entry into the country). Entering Thailand via an airport confers a 90-day visa-waiver in most cases (depending on country of citizenship), and there is no cost involved. A visa-waiver is just a stamp in the passport with a permit-to-stay of a specified length.

The kind of visa John got is obtained at a Thai consulate outside of Thailand. It makes sense to get that visa if you know you will be entering Thailand across a land border--say, coming in from Malaysia or Cambodia, or coming back from a LOB to Burma with plans for a longer stay in Thailand than 15 days.

A multiple-entry stamp in addition to the visa will let you use a visa to enter and leave the country as many times as you like for the duration of your visa without the need to go buy a new visa at a consulate. (This is not possible for visa-waiver stamps, though.)

Visa regulations in Thailand are complex enough to have spawned an entire web-board called ThaiVisa.com Check that site for really detailed information.

Entering Thailand via an airport confers a 90-day visa-waiver in most cases (depending on country of citizenship), and there is no cost involved. A visa-waiver is just a stamp in the passport with a permit-to-stay of a specified length.

Thought the standard entry stamp at the airport was 30 days. If you dont posess a visa.
60 days with a tourist visa, or 90 days with an O visa.

As Arizona has suggested, if funds and time permit, try a few shops out first. Don't mention about doing courses, just book a day or 2 diving and see how you get on, there are benefits to going with the big shops (mermaids/aquanauts) and there are also benefits to the smaller shops, and there are loads to pick from. Try a few and see which suits you best before you make a choice, and indeed you dont have to do both courses at the same time or at the same shop. The additional dives would all be experience, and give you a feel of how different shops operate rather than experiencing only one.

good luck and enjoy.

LK, you are right. It is only 30 days for some countries. Maybe I shouldn't have said "most" but instead "many". The passport holders I've got here now received a 90-day stamp on arrival. It's so complicated, depending on the country of citizenship.

LK, you are right. It is only 30 days for some countries. Maybe I shouldn't have said "most" but instead "many". The passport holders I've got here now received a 90-day stamp on arrival. It's so complicated, depending on the country of citizenship.

Yes from the UK and all other EU countries its only 30 days.
Which lucky countries recieve 90 days on arrival?

Entering Thailand via an airport confers a 90-day visa-waiver in most cases (depending on country of citizenship), and there is no cost involved. A visa-waiver is just a stamp in the passport with a permit-to-stay of a specified length.

Thought the standard entry stamp at the airport was 30 days. If you dont posess a visa.
60 days with a tourist visa, or 90 days with an O visa.

Are you arguing with yourself?

Thanks for that info guys.
But does anyone know this particular shop, or could recomend another in the area. Time to do the course is no problem because I shall be staying in thailand 3-6 months.

I have not heard good things about that shop in particular :depressed:

However there are loads more! Try:-

Larger Operators

Mermaids
Aquanauts

Smalller

Seaduction
Real Divers
Seafari

Last edited:
No silly, the original bit was from a post by Quero.

Ahhh. Sorry. I missed the quotation marks. Or at least one of us did. I should have looked back through all the previous posts before replying.

Back
Top Bottom