Divemaster\Instructor Liability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The PADI "Advanced Open Water" is comprised of five separate "adventure" specialty dives. Deep, Navigation, and your choice of three other specialties. These dives will each count as Dive #1 of the corresponding specialty, but completing one dive of the specialty is not the same as completing the specialty and receiving the certification. Deep Diver, for examples requires a total of four dives for certification.

Other than number of dives is there any difference between the two ? Skill wise I mean. Say adventure is just getting to the bottom see some fish and come back and specialty, say get to the bottom, install a deep mine as a surprise for the next class set the trigger line, recover bodies afterward and make a report for the center, pardon PADI :D

I did the whole spec. as you said 4 dives and they have counted it towards the adventure dive of the AOW.

Other than number of dives is there any difference between the two ? Skill wise I mean. Say adventure is just getting to the bottom see some fish and come back and specialty, say get to the bottom, install a deep mine as a surprise for the next class set the trigger line, recover bodies afterward and make a report for the center, pardon PADI :D

I did the whole spec. as you said 4 dives and they have counted it towards the adventure dive of the AOW.
The difference from the perspective of someone wanting to see your certification is you are only qualified to 100 feet with AOW, not the full 130 as a deep cert gives you (and you don't go to 130 as part of AOW). Essentially the point I made with my original post is that showing a MSD card from PADI does not say you have your deep cert, it only says you have one deep adventure dive (and are only qualified to 100 feet as opposed to 130, if the dive charter cares).

I guess you did AOW the other way: get the specialties and get AOW for free? The usual way seems to be do AOW first then get all your specialties.

I guess you did AOW the other way: get the specialties and get AOW for free? The usual way seems to be do AOW first then get all your specialties.

AOW (or equivalent) is actually a pre-requisite for Deep, not sure how elan did it the other way.

The difference from the perspective of someone wanting to see your certification is you are only qualified to 100 feet with AOW, not the full 130 as a deep cert gives you (and you don't go to 130 as part of AOW). Essentially the point I made with my original post is that showing a MSD card from PADI does not say you have your deep cert, it only says you have one deep adventure dive (and are only qualified to 100 feet as opposed to 130, if the dive charter cares).

Got you,

yeah I was doing my specs first as I was not interested in doing AOW then had few inconveniences when some of the charters wanted AOW card and I gave up. As I had all the perquisites for the AOW the instructor gave me a discount and threw in dives and and some training from other specs that I did not have.

AOW (or equivalent) is actually a pre-requisite for Deep, not sure how elan did it the other way.

RJP with all respect I think you are not correct. The prerequisite for PADI Deep is Adventure Diver not AOW, I had 4 full specs complete already by that time

RJP with all respect I think you are not correct. The prerequisite for PADI Deep is Adventure Diver not AOW, I had 4 full specs complete already by that time

You're right, I mis-read "Adventure Diver Certification" as "AOW Certification."

The prerequisite is actually Adventure Diver or Advanced Open Water or have a qualifying certification from another agency..... This is from the PADI Deep Diver Specialty Instructor manual.

The issue of not submitting your professional level card for a boat dive has come up in past threads on this subject.

The final word was it doesn't make any difference because any decent lawyer is going to find out the level of certification of every other diver on the boat during the discovery phase of a trial regardless of what card they submitted. So you're not going to be fooling anyone except maybe yourself.

Phil, you are confusing Deep certification with a Deep Adventure Dive.

You're absolutely correct, I was.

The issue of not submitting your professional level card for a boat dive has come up in past threads on this subject.

The final word was it doesn't make any difference because any decent lawyer is going to find out the level of certification of every other diver on the boat during the discovery phase of a trial regardless of what card they submitted. So you're not going to be fooling anyone except maybe yourself.

I think this must just be an issue in the USA. (Jeez, you yanks have some dumb-ass liability laws!)

I've never encountered any legal/responsibilities issues with being a dive pro anywhere else in the world. If I am not employed in a professional function (i.e. I am a customer) then I have no legal responsibility for other divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom