Divemaster = Solo Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.... another question ... do you guys solo dive without stage tank?

I solo dive both with and without a redundant air source, it depends on the depth and difficulty of the dive. For "easy" dives of < 50' here in Hawaii I do not use a redundant air source. But you need to evaluate each place you plan to dive, and your own ability, before making this choice.

..... might think of purchasing spare air if I really have a lot of chance to go for solo diving...

I would not recommend a "spare air". It does not hold enough air for true redundancy. I would recommend a real pony bottle and conventional regulator. I use a 30 cu ft. tank as a pony/stage when I feel like I need redundancy. I think 19 cu ft. would be adequate, I just happened to find a good deal on the 30 cu ft. tank, and the 30 is similar in size to the 19.

Best wishes.

My downfall for my DM is, I am still not very good in giving presentation to customers for the briefing. :(

The more you do it the easier it gets. I know it sounds cliche but it's true.

R..

---------- Post added October 5th, 2013 at 09:47 PM ----------

How heavy is the 30cu tank? I don't wish to have a super heavy gear bag when I am taking a plane for a dive... Local dive, I will not even think of solo dive at all or even do leisure dive.

The aluminum ones weigh 5-7kg, IIRC.

R..

The more you do it the easier it gets. I know it sounds cliche but it's true.

R..

---------- Post added October 5th, 2013 at 09:47 PM ----------

The aluminum ones weigh 5-7kg, IIRC.

R..

Ya. I need more practice. The next trip, I will be reading from my note pad. At least it is easier. :D

I think I will drop the idea of solo dive. Without bailout tank, when I am at a depth of 20m and I would need to ascent if my primary air source is faulty, it may send me to the chamber room!!!

Or instead of bailing on the idea of solo dives plan every dive as a solo dive. Plan to have enough reserve gas to get to the Surface.

After all, who is the only person guaranteed to be with you during an accident? God? I think not, but that is for a different thread. YOU are the only person guaranteed to be there. **** happens and you never Know what a person will do u til they are in a true life and death situation. Train as much as you want, just make sure you can save yourself at least.

Related-- What does a DM do if DMing a charter with dives that exceed 100' and he/she is not Deep certified? I know PADI has changed the DM course to require some deep diving, but I don't think Deep cert. is required to get your DM.

Related-- What does a DM do if DMing a charter with dives that exceed 100' and he/she is not Deep certified? I know PADI has changed the DM course to require some deep diving, but I don't think Deep cert. is required to get your DM.

Correct.

Some of it depends on experience. Obviously if you're not comfortable with diving at those depths then you have no business being there with students. The same can be said of any programme. If you're not good at navigation you shouldn't be teaching students about navigation either.....

Some DM's, even ones without deep certs, have a LOT of deep experience. Personally I'd put more faith in someone with 100 dives >30m who didn't have a cert than someone who had the papers but only made the 6 or so dives required to get it.

R..

another question if i dive solo, am I covered by DAN as I am not cert as solo diver.

In general DAN covers you if you dive within the limits of your certification.
I am in Italy and DAN Europe has set PPO2 PPN2 and certification boundaries. No depth limit in general terms .....

In my case I am Tech Deep Deep Air certified to 47 mt. Normoxic Trimix (to 66 mt). I am also working toward my SOLO cert and hipoxyc trimix (not there yet)
As long as I dive within 1.4 bar PPo2 (bottom mix), 1.6 Bar PPO2 in deco, stay within 47 Mt of EAD and do not dive past 66 mt I am ok with DAN as long as I have a buddy ...

Just my 2 cents but as somebody else said check with them.

Cheers

Fabio

My insurance companies perspective, and the reason I have a solo policy:

A DM or Instructor working as a DM or instructor is solo diving in accordance with the rules set forth by their certification agency. An instructor with 4 OW1 students is technically and really solo, as none of the students would be expected to render assistance in the event of an emergency. The certification agencies take this into account when certifying instructors and my insurance company is good with it. A DM or instructor on non-working dives, however, must meet the requirements of the conditions they were certified under, that is, under the buddy system unless they have a solo/self reliant card.

Another example: If my crew is installing moorings for my use, being paid, using hydraulic tools and ferrying concrete etc., they are doing ship's husbandry work and therefore are covered under the ship's insurance policy if they get hurt. That insurance policy prohibits commercial diving. So if the ship is being paid to install moorings somewhere that the ship has no intention of ever using, the crew may not participate in the installation of those moorings, as it is considered commercial diving by the insurance company and therefore prohibited.

After all, who is the only person guaranteed to be with you during an accident? God? I think not, but that is for a different thread. YOU are the only person guaranteed to be there.
Well that's just NOT true. Murphy is on EVERY dive you go on!!

Having said that, it's not just gas planning but redundancy that is required for a solo dive. If you take a billion cubic feet of air with you, and your reg fails.....you've still got a failed reg. All the gas just means more bubbles.....it's redundancy that'll save your life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom