Divemaster = Solo Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob, you wouldn't have much luck at the dive centers around S.E.Asia etc. Shore diving, or jumping off a private boat, heck...sure there's no scuba police. When travelling overseas most people don't take their own cylinders though... so are reliant on dive operations.

I used to solo in the UK. They accepted tech qualifications, but would laugh at a DM card. (for those that don't know most solo courses are just bare-bones elements from entry-level tech, without the deco training).

It's also important to note the difference between; "can do solo diving" and "should do solo diving".

Bob's pedigree in solo diving is not a justification for others to assume they can do the same. They are not Bob.

The decision to solo dive is a personal one. That decision should not be based on advice from strangers on the internet. Indeed, one might say that if you had to ask, then you're probably far from ready. The real decision has to be made on the basis of a profoundly honest self-awareness and self-assessment of the competencies, experience and skill-set required. That has to be balanced against an intimate understanding of the risks and hazards that need to be mitigated fully.

There are some big pitfalls in that decision making process. Firstly, that you could easily be in a situation where "you don't know what you don't know". In short, ignorance leads to over-assessment. A little knowledge is a bad thing. This is especially true when the diver concerned has a moderate amount of experience - but that experience hasn't yet developed sufficiently to have confronted real emergencies. It generates false confidence. Experience of 200 uneventful dives is not beneficial experience that contributes to learning your weaknesses. Secondly, that ego plays a major role. Over-confidence and complacency is easy to generate for some people... especially when connected with doing something you really want to do. Take a peek at the Accidents and Incidents forum and see how often those factors arise when people have gotten themselves hurt, or worse.

That's where training courses are very beneficial. The value of solo training isn't so much about the skills and techniques used; but (IMHO) much more about the opportunity to receive an external, unbiased, expert validation of your suitability and preparedness for solo diving.

I did solo diving before and I am comfortable. But my main worry is when anything had happened underwater and I would need medical attention, will I be covered? Although I am not trained as a solo diver, but I had brought all the redundant equipment except pony tank.

The cost and the frequency of usage does not justify for me to purchase one.

I did solo diving before and I am comfortable.

As mentioned earlier: Comfortable with what?

It's easy to be comfortable if your experience only includes 'best case scenario' dives. i.e. nothing has gone wrong.

To be safe, you need to be "comfortable" with the worst case scenarios...

Divemaster duties on tons of boats I’ve been on as a paying customer included swimming down by themselves and tying off on the wrecks. This might be off topic, but I’ve never seen one have redundant air for tying off on wrecks within the recreational limit.

Back
Top Bottom