Diver dies after being rescued in Jupiter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Prayers to his family, he seemed like a nice guy. Based on reading the posts it appears it took them over 30 minutes to get him in the boat . This was due to the 5-8 swells and the fact he weighed over 400 pounds. I would imagine it would be hard enough to get him up in calm seas. if you add the weight of his tank and roughly 30 pounds on his weight belt that was a lot of lifting.

Diver did not get in trouble upon entering the water as reported. Diver was tremendously overweight and out of shape. It was the Emerald, maybe they will fill in the blanks.
Do you have some reason to believe that the fact that you believe him out of shape played a role? Please elaborate.

First I would like to give my condolences to the family and friends who lost a loved one. It's sad to hear of any story where there is a loss of life.

I learned some details from talks at the LDS with people who personally knew other divers that where onboard that day. This person had heath complications on the surface and never made a decent. He was a large guy, pushing 300lbs. He was in the water for 30mins after he had his issue because of the difficulties of getting someone of that size out of the water.

A comment on all this power lifter big guys still can be fit talk. There is no doubt large people can be unbelievably strong and athletic. But theres no arguing that being a larger than average size takes an even bigger toll on your body's vital systems. I would anticipate the life expectancy of a power lifter isn't something most would consider long. That being said there's allways an exception and everyone is different -The second part being the take home point. Fitness and health are not always hand in hand and scuba is a sport that requires both.

RIP David Ley & condolences to his family & friends.

I could not imagine how they lifted a roughly 480-lb load (400-lb body weight + 45-lb weight-belt + 35-lb AL80 tank) from a 5-8' swell.

Was the dive gear fully functional after the rescue?

There's an interesting discussion in that spearboard thread regarding USCG requirements for deckhands on dive boats. I wonder if any of the boat captains on scubaboard can fill us in. Someone on spearboard quoted an USCG rule citing "additional" deckhands being required if there's more than 50 passengers.

I've certainly been on 6packs with no deckhand before. Is it a matter of the larger "inspected" vs "uninspected" vessels?

Not that it sounds like it was a significant factor to me. If the guy had to be hauled onto the boat in the first place...

I'd be shocked if they didn't remove his gear and weight belt in the water. I believe that is pretty much standard procedure depending on a divers size and is taught in rescue. Note: That is what I've heard. I personally have never taken the Rescue Diver course. Nevertheless, it's a tall task to pull anyone over the rail, much less someone at 400 lbs. Perhaps the SeaTow boat was better equipped with a block and tackle, wench or something to allow them to get him out of the water.

But, he obviously enjoyed diving and old, young, in shape or out of shape I'm glad no one is advocating for health checks over here like they are in the Outback. We don't need big brother telling us if we can dive or not. I'm sure he was well aware of the risks he was taking.

Last edited:
I took the Rescue Diver course but it was from shore. We just towed the individual to shore and removed gear there. Never went over procedure from a boat.

I'd be shocked if they didn't remove his gear and weight belt in the water. I believe that is pretty much standard procedure depending on a divers size and is taught in rescue. Note: That is what I've heard. I personally have never taken the Rescue Diver course. Nevertheless, it's a tall task to pull anyone over the rail, much less someone at 400 lbs. Perhaps the SeaTow boat was better equipped with a block and tackle, wench or something to allow them to get him out of the water.

But, he obviously enjoyed diving and old, young, in shape or out of shape I'm glad no one is advocating for health checks over hear like they are in the Outback. We don't need big brother telling us if we can dive or not. I'm sure he was well aware of the risks he was taking.

Makes sense.

Just wondering if he didn't feel well to begin with, why jumped into the water, why not thumbed the dive?

I took the Rescue Diver course but it was from shore. We just towed the individual to shore and removed gear there. Never went over procedure from a boat.

Interesting. One would think they would teach/practice doffing a victim's gear in water. Maybe the instruction is different based on the type of diving you're doing (Shore/Boat). Now I'm curious if there is a standard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom