DIY SP reg service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting, I read a review of the two books that recommended R Savvy over the other one. I want the theory as well as step by step. Dry d/n bother me too much. Organic chem text is very dry but oh so interesting.
Hmmm...
Thank you very much!

halocline-if my reg screws-up at 250' or in an overhead enviroment I could be dead.

If this is the case, you need to go back for better technical dive training, because you are absolutely doing it wrong. No offense, but anyone who dives at that depth or in an overhead without a redundant source of air is a very poor diver. Try not to take this personally; I suspect you don't really solo dive in those conditions without real redundancy, do you?

If you want to consider your reg "life support" go right ahead, but you're fooling yourself. If regulator failure really did mean death, many of us would be dead. You'd certainly never hear a story from someone who's reg failed, because that person would not have survived to tell the story.

Interesting, I read a review of the two books that recommended R Savvy over the other one. I want the theory as well as step by step. Dry d/n bother me too much. Organic chem text is very dry but oh so interesting.
Hmmm...
Thank you very much!
Ha. I score high in standardized tests on reading comprehension but reference and instruction manuals give me a headache. Even one page how to sheets usually go on the back shelf. I am very much a hands on DIY'er. Give me something I can deconstruct and I am happy. Trial and error and learn in the process. Instructions only if I get truly desperate!

halocline-Can you read? I SPECIFICALLY STATED THAT THERE'S REDUNDANCY!
"Yes, there's redundancy as an added safety measure..."
I haven't stated anything that isn't true regarding what I've done.
I've read many of your posts, and they are usually of the, "My opinion is fact & if you don't agree you're stupid" ilk. Are you trolling or a minor deity about whom I unaware? I (speaking for myself) do not have gills and need gear to stay alive underwater.
This post was started (by me) to inquire about DIY service...not to be called a liar by you.
No offense!

uncfnp-I do well, too, but would feel a lot better if I do a couple of "throw aways." I'll probably buy something off of eBay to play with/experiment on BEFORE I do mine.
Thank very much for all of your help!

uncfnp-I do well, too, but would feel a lot better if I do a couple of "throw aways." I'll probably buy something off of eBay to play with/experiment on BEFORE I do mine.
Thank very much for all of your help!
I bought a couple of MK 10's on ebay but then you need an additional tool for that. Its pretty cheap though. You can do without it but it is so much easier with it. For the second stage I started with a 109 and the kit from VDH and converted it to a balanced adjustable. Now that was a learning experience. Lots of threads on the regulator and diy forum.

Store - Vintage Double Hose

Last edited:
halocline-Can you read? I SPECIFICALLY STATED THAT THERE'S REDUNDANCY!
"Yes, there's redundancy as an added safety measure..."
I haven't stated anything that isn't true regarding what I've done.
I've read many of your posts, and they are usually of the, "My opinion is fact & if you don't agree you're stupid" ilk. Are you trolling or a minor deity about whom I unaware? I (speaking for myself) do not have gills and need gear to stay alive underwater.
This post was started (by me) to inquire about DIY service...not to be called a liar by you.
No offense!

Nobody's calling anyone a liar, and I can read. I quoted exactly what you said. If you have redundancy, which I believe you do, then why could you die if your regulator failed? It's an important point IMO, and it speaks directly to the misrepresentation of regulators by the dive gear industry. This is why it's relevant in this thread. You should really think about it. Personally, if I thought I would die due to a regulator failure, I would never get in the water. I'm pretty sure most divers would agree with that.

Try to leave the insults out this conversation. I'm volunteering my time to help you, as are other people in this thread, and your other ones.

Regarding the Harlow and Wolfinger books, you should get both, they're both great resources. They are a lot different. The one thing about the wolfinger book for DIYers is that he recommends a lot of specialized tools (that he used to sell) that are not necessary for doing your own service. The Harlow book is a good general intro to how regulators work and good, step by step procedures for working on them. The Wolfinger book is more in depth about regulator design and the specific forces at work.

The Harlow book is a good general intro to how regulators work and good, step by step procedures for working on them. The Wolfinger book is more in depth about regulator design and the specific forces at work.

I will add though, that understanding what Wolfinger "teaches" allows for an understanding when troubleshooting issues. Just knowing how to take parts out, and replace them is far from adequate for servicing equipment, and the reason we see many of us break ties with shop service as there occasionally are under-experienced individuals handling your equipment...

h-you DID call me a liar. You accused me of stating something that isn't true. That would make the statement a lie & me a liar.
As for my "insults," I wrote "no offense" too.
FWIW-You addrd ZERO that helped; ALL that you did was state that regs aren't life support & I'm either gullible or stupid for how I view them. We can argue semantics with regard to "life support," but how does that help me service my gear? It doesn't.
To answer your question, if I service my regs & both (assuming no deco bottles) fail b/c I made a mistake, I could die. That's why I asked the questions that I did! I'm not afraid of the gear, but I do have a healthy respect for where I'll be using it.
I don't often "lash out;" it's not my style. I refuse, however, to be idle when I'm insulted.
Maybe you didn't mean to come across the way you did, but I'm not the first person to take issue with a post of yours.
Your last paragraph is helpful, & I rhank you for the input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom