DIY SP reg service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

unc-I thought about the 10 & 109, but I might be tempted to use them if I "make" the 109 a BA! LOL
I will check eBay to p/u an experimental reg.
Thanks!!

unc-I thought about the 10 & 109, but I might be tempted to use them if I "make" the 109 a BA! LOL
I will check eBay to p/u an experimental reg.
Thanks!!
I chose the mk10 because I could find it reasonably priced and in DIN. There was a SB member with a large inventory of SB for sale as a set. I'll check to see if any is still listed and if prehaps he split it up.

Found it. Don't know if still available or if he is willing to split though.

For Sale - A *LOT* of older ScubaPro regs (AIr 1's, D-300, 109's, 108's, G-200B's, 1st stages, and misc.)

Last edited:
wgmontgomery. Just so you know I am a total newbie at servicing my own regs and still have a lot to learn. And given my low comprehension for manuals and lack of a mechanical background I could not have done it without the help of the SB "usual suspect " reg gurus. Just trying to pay it forward a bit.

I hesitate to speak for halocline but I wonder if the struggle that the early pioneers for DIY regulator self service might have been left with a bit of a chip on their shoulders from the "you are going to die" anti-diy segment. Fortunately, by the time I arrived on the scene that attitude was pretty much gone. Yes, servicing your own regulators is not a decision to be taken lightly but it is also not the suicidal decision some would have you believe. I *think* the aversion that some on SB have to the term life support is that it gives an added connotation of risk to from anti-diy crowd.

Last edited:
uncfnp-why that book over Regulator Savvy?

I have both and I actually recommend both. But I think of Reg Savvy as the bible of regulators and a great reference. It will teach you the theory behind the function as well as service. But as such its a bit of a dry read.

The Harlow is a great nuts and bolts manual. It teaches some theroy too. You do need to know the why's with the how's, but its a much more hands on read.

What uncfnp said. I would start with Harlow and then read Wolfinger. Some of Wolfinger's explanations are hard to understand.

unc-I found a few suspects (10/109) on my local craigslist. I'll take a look.
Your point re h is well taken, but I'm here looking to DIY (DIM as in myself?), so obviously I don't feel that it will kill me! It's also not the 1st...run-in with him/her. This was the worst to be sure, but (& if you're reading this h, no hard feelings) perhaps (s)he didn't intend the tone to be that harsh. I actually read the post to a friend BEFORE I responded to make sure that it wasn't just me over-reacting.
Anyway, you, & many others, have been very helpful & I'm grateful to ALL!

What about youtube? There are a couple of decent(??) vids on the MK25 & S600, but they are in Spanish. My Spanish is very rusty; would any of the resident gurus consider doing a video?
Heck, I'd even conssider paying for their time!
The LDS I "inhabit" has a tech who comes-in to do most of the service. The local expert around here is probably Ralph; I really don't know him too well, but he seems really nice. I'm considering talking to him, but it really goes against "self interest" as he owns a LDS.

been going through this myself. Bought some tools from Scuba Tools. They tend to be expensive on shipping charges, so it's best to get as much of what you need in one order as possible. They also seem to be a bit slow in processing orders, so allow time to get what you need.

other stuff from http://vintagedoublehose.com/

general, non-brand specific tools & such can be bought from where ever you find the best deal.

service kits for the Mk25 I see on ebay all the time, generally run about $30 - $35

So far I've serviced a Mk5 & a Mk10, will doing a balanced adjustable next.

I really have not had much luck finding videos. Like you, i found a couple in spanish & I don't speak spanish LOL

I really have not had much luck finding videos. Like you, i found a couple in spanish & I don't speak spanish LOL
I'm thinking the liability (US) is prohibitive.

Back
Top Bottom