Do I need to get my logbook stamped after each dive ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is your log book for your use. I have only had a couple dive ops ask to see me log book (this was for deep/wreck dives). I like to get the dive op, park, shop, etc. to stamp my log book. It is fun to look back and remember the dives. You don't have to have the stamp for a memory but I like it anyway. That said, I don't have stamps on all my dives but I try to get one.

I do have my dive buddy sign the bottom and if a guided dive or training dive I get the DM/Trainer to sign also.

I am the same way. But..your log is up to you.

I get the sigs and the stamps if I can. I review em if I need prior weight guidelines. I use lots O' different wetsuits and combinations.

But some of my best dive buds don't bother. I use the SDI/Padi log books. I think I have six of em.
My buds think I am somewhat crazy.

In 14 years I don't think anyone has asked to review my log books.

I am planning on continuing to track my dives in my logbook, do I need the DM to stamp my logbook for any future reference such as do I need to prove that I have completed X amount of dives to qualify for additional training or need a specific amount of logged dives to be able to attempt a particular type of dive ?
You actually may be asking two related, but separate questions - the specific issue of 'stamping' dives, and the more general issue of logging them.

You do not need someone else to 'stamp' your logbook after each dive. I have several stamps in mine, simply because of the particular dive that I did, as a pleasant reminder to me of the dive (e.g. my first Spiegel Grove Dive).

I definitely encourage you to log your dives. Your logbook becomes a personal 'journal' of your diving. Whether you do it mechanically (paper and pen) or electronically, is not as critical as logging the data. The information provides a running log of weight requirements, (possibly) air consumption, your experiences with various gear configurations, the dives you enjoyed and those you did not, etc. When I went to Bonaire in 2010, after not having been there since 2005, I pulled out my logbook pages from 2005 to remind myself of the dives I did in 2005, and why I enjoyed (or didn't enjoy) them, and used that as a planning guide. The logbook is primarily for YOUR benefit, but it also may help in certain cases where documentation of dives is important. In contrast to some posters, I HAVE had a few dive ops look at my logbook (first time I dove the Spiegel Grove a decade ago). It wasn't a particularly critical evaluation, and I suppose I could have 'doctored' a log to meet the requirements. But, I was glad I had the pages readily available.
THeimer:
Even for DM my instructor took my word for it.
You had a sloppy instructor for DM.

Reactions: reo
I stopped at 10... My dives are recorded on computer, download which I do but nothing more than that! To each his own... I do keep a note regarding weighting whether its a wetsuit, Drysuit, fresh water, and salt water but not for each location, just the configuration.

Best to you, lee

No. But if you ever move into Pro diving it is sometimes required for verification. I don't bother with stamps unless Im travel diving where I like to collect stamps from exotic locations, just for memories sake. As others have said the only time anyone has looked at my log books was when I did my DM training.

Silent World in Key Largo has some great stamps..one especially for the Speigel.

Just got some nice ones at Ginnie Springs.

Funny how some places won't let you touch their stamps. They have to do it for you.(Not the above 2).

But that is another subject..

keep a log, not just to prove your number of dives lots to recored weights' type of wetsuit' sea water fresh water' type of cylinder and much more

I get my log book stamped by the resort, after I am done with them. I find them very useful for telling me where I dove as well. Do a few dives on a few reefs, and they are blend together.

Non resort dives, I get my buddy to sign off, It will be cool to go through some of the older filled out logbooks in like 20 years

hmmm...i've not had a signature since my OW training dives. My dive log is 100% electronic. I dump the data from my DC to the dive manager software, fill out the details and click "save". When i have gone for advanced training, the instructor accepts it and recognizes aftre talking with me and/or diving with me that i know what i'm doing. If the instructor insists on written signed logs then that instructor is not advanced enough for me.

You may be asked to show your log as proof that it hasn't been too long since your last dive that they require you to do a refresher course. When we were in the Keys recently we watched a group of foreigners get turned away because they hadn't been diving in over year. I like to get my book stamped from every place we go just for fun! :)

Back
Top Bottom