Do I need to get my logbook stamped after each dive ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i have no stamped dives, and only one a buddy insisted on signing. whatev. i *do* log, but it's mainly for me. i *have* had my log looked at by an instructor, but it was good enough for him.

What does your Buddy signature represent ? Just a conformation of sorts that you did the dive ?

The buddy should also include their Cert# and agency. I would think it is a confirmation but it is also a reminder of who your buddy was on the dive. It might make you smile 10 years from now to remember who it was.

If it is a DM or instructor you can ask for their agency number. But a signature isn't necessary. I just write the name down myself in print.
There are rare instances where an instructor won't accept a logged dive because it doesn't have a cursive signature but they're just being real picky. I would pick a less anal instructor if that were the case.

I keep my logbook for my own purposes, so that I could look back on my "history" of diving. That's why I often have everything filled out, except for the signature (which is sometimes takes effort to get). Also, I keep a computer version that I type out in Excel.

If you're interested in becoming a professional, you'll need a buddy signature for your dives and the pertinent information filled, so that there's proof of a certain amount of dives. I don't think there's a case where you ever need a stamp; it's just sometimes cool to have.

No, but if you want to keep a record of your "deep" dives it's a good idea. You may have to "prove" to a new dive shop that you have done a few deep dives in the last year or so otherwise they might want you to pay for a guide on any deep dives that day.

+1 for reo's comments. Just to clarify, there is no requirement to log dives. As said, you may be asked to produce a log as evidence of your experience, so its good to keep. There is no magical formula (no scuba police) as mentioned above, but put yourself in the position of the person judging your experience. You're more likely to be convinced if the person bothered to have it signed with a cert number. Also, as stated, a buddy is fine for those purposes. In the end, this is about liability and if it looks like someone sat down the day before and just filled in a bunch of log pages, no one will rely on it, nor should they. On the other hand, the more it looks like you are really keeping a record and taking it seriously, reliance is reasonable and it's not a problem. As a certified diver, you are ultimately responsible, but shop owners know that if they let you do something you shouldn't and they knew better, they might get nailed anyway. Checking the logbook and making sure it looks legit covers their a#@es.

Only if it makes you feel good...
I think I had one signed once, but then threw the book away when I transferred everything to my computer. I'm the only person who's ever looked at my log.

Unless your book is stamped by a dive shop or boat charter company, the dive does not count. You need that and your buddy's signature or you can't count the dive.

Seriously though, your log book is for you only and many people like to stamp or have their buddies sign it. Not required. If you move into the pro level, your logbook often may need to be verified so at least keep good records.

Happy diving!

It is your log book for your use. I have only had a couple dive ops ask to see me log book (this was for deep/wreck dives). I like to get the dive op, park, shop, etc. to stamp my log book. It is fun to look back and remember the dives. You don't have to have the stamp for a memory but I like it anyway. That said, I don't have stamps on all my dives but I try to get one.

I do have my dive buddy sign the bottom and if a guided dive or training dive I get the DM/Trainer to sign also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom