Do you have more posts or logged dives?

• I have posted more than I have dived.

Votes: 60 40.3%
  • I have more log dives than posts.

Votes: 89 59.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepBound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is your number of posts greater than, or less than your number of logged dives?

I have a few more logged dives than I have posts. I'm going to try to keep it that way :D

Lets consider some other things though :

Cost:
day of diving: $30ish, depending on gas mix, distance traveled, location of dive. Could be up to $100 easily
posting: Less than a buck a day for high speed internet in some cases.

Time:
diving: many of my recent dives have been 20 to 30 minutes. Include gearing up and tearing down time and it takes an hour to dive.
posting: some people take time to think through posts, others post like it's going out of style. Lets say an average of 3 minutes per post.

Ease:
diving: you have to get certified. And you have to be able to schlep heavy gear around. And bouyancy skills aren't that easy :)
posting: any *** can do it.

I have 30 logged dives and maybe 7 unlogged dives (things like helping with a local ROV team, as my max depth was 15 feet, even thoug I spent 4 hours in the water moving things around and monitoring their ROV in a local shallow river) and have hundreds of posts. If diving was as easy as posting, I'd have thousands of logged dives :) For most people, it is not practical to compare the number of posts to dives. Even more so, if you have alot of posts, and have morelogged dives than posts, then you probably have alot of knowledge that strokes and beginners need, so you should be a help to the community and post more! So I would go as far as to say it is bad for you to brag about having more dives than posts. :) Get involved more and help people out!

That said, I really wish I more logged dives :( It's just hard, working out dive buddies, getting out to a site, getting the cash to pay for trips :) It takes up alot of time, the shortest dive trip I've ever taken was something like four hours and we had to rush to do it that fast. I live in cave country, but the closest dives are an hour away! Hour back, 6 gallons of gas ($18!), 200 cubic feet of gas ($8!), lunch....then the next day I can hardly walk becuase our dive site had no steps that reached the water, so we walked down a dirt slope holding on to a rope to access the water, wearing our gear.....

i wish i could dive more than posts' number but it's not very realistic for me - our first baby is taking most time but at work I sit in front of the computer a lot and SB is a fun place to check, therefore such a discrepancy in numbers :)

Can we add an option for "This is a dumb question"...?

It's SB, we talk - enjoy it...

DandyDon:
Can we add an option for "This is a dumb question"...?

It's SB, we talk - enjoy it...

thanks, Don...and welcome back!:D

I bloody well wish I had as many dives this year as the number of posts, but that would mean Id have to practically live in the dive shop, which of the closest are like 150 km away from here :(

Looks like Don got his hat back too..

Between my job, spending time with my son, getting over sinusitis, etc... I wish I could've gotten as many dives in this year as I hoped. Instead, it is shuffling the little boy to swimming, karate practice, to the zoo, etc. I can't turn him into a scuba nut, so we limit diving with him no more than once a week.

In all honesty, there is no better way to learn more about scuba than posting questions here on scubaboard. You get such a variety of opinions from folks who really know about diving and how the gears work.

If you can't dive, might as well post.

Back
Top Bottom