Do you tip your instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I meant it regarding work ethics and performance. I'd like to believe that I'd be doing my best in every interaction, even if I grew up in a tipping culture. Some replies here seem to suggest that it would be expected and natural to deliver a mediocre or subpar work performance unless the customer pays you extra. I would be an awful nurse if I was susceptible to that sort of bias, and I hope most people in the world genuinely just want to do their best. This thread is creating some doubt though.
It was also mentioned for education. You know, no gifted classes because you have to cater to the masses. No class rankings or awards because heaven knows you don’t want to upset the poor dears who aren’t as smart or didn’t put in the effort others did. Dumb down everything.

So it is apparent that not everyone has started a business as employee compensation is just one part of costs in running a business.

We also have to remember that working in several fields in the United States is lucrative and a few hundred thousand dollars is not significant. Since the start of the war in Ukraine, many people have seen their stock portfolios drop by 7 figures. That's fine as the market will be back.

The point I'm trying to make, though unlike some else said, i don't have enough time and crayons to explain it to certain people, is that I have no intention to exploit my employees like is so pervasive in the industry.

Dumb down everything.
You're from the country that gave us the Kardashians, the jersey shore tv show, QAnon and the Donald, lord of the twitter rants, right? Just checking.
Trying to motivate kids doesn't seem all that dumb to me.

The point I'm trying to make, though unlike some else said, i don't have enough time and crayons to explain it to certain people, is that I have no intention to exploit my employees like is so pervasive in the industry.
Nobody said, you were trying to exploit employees, buddy. Still angry, I see.

You're from the country that gave us the Kardashians, the jersey shore tv show, QAnon and the Donald, lord of the twitter rants, right? Just checking.
Trying to motivate kids doesn't seem all that dumb to me.
We’re talking about de-motivation. Participation trophies. Some US school districts have done away with academic awards, ranking the top students in a class, etc., because they don’t want to hurt the feelings of those not as smart or those that didn’t put in the effort. Some districts are doing away with gifted classes. Why would anyone put forth any effort if everything has been dumbed down for the functionally illiterate masses?

🤣😂

I was thinking I was done with this thread, but am genuinely curious. I certainly appreciate you love your job, that's the dream. However, when you are staying at a dive resort or hotel, do you think the person that comes in to clean your room does it because they love their job, and they get pleasure in doing it well? Or do they do it for the money? I would argue most people, work in jobs they don't love, or even particularly like, but do it for the money. Especially wait staff, and doing a good job, is a way of increasing your pay. Getting money for doing stuff you don't like, gives you the ability to do stuff you do like. Like dive, or go to the theater with friends.

People's value shouldn't be measured financially, I know people in ministry who make little, yet I think have incalculable value. However, the value of the goods and services you provide are measured monetary by the people consuming those goods and services, and it impacts how much they will pay for them. If you want to increase that value, you do a better job.
I am fully aware that a number of people, ofter well qualified with an university degree, on the topic they love, are forced to do something different from their ability and training, accepting to do jobs they do not like.
This is one of the results of neoliberism and meritocracy.
Evaluating people based on the utility generated forces people to work for money, and not for their satisfaction.
Marx described very well this logic, and the worst thing is that he fully supported this view. Meritocracy is actually an extreme form of marxism, where productivity and '"plusvalue" simply replaces the unjust privileges which Marx was fighting.
Marx wanted work to be valued, instead of capital.
Both are equally wrong.
Happiness should be the goal, not money.
And pursuing happiness through money is equally wrong.
Sorry, I am derailing this thread towards ethical, phylosophical and economical topics.
I apologize for this. Possibly the moderator should remove my contributions to this thread, perhaps creating a new thread in a most suitable section of this forum.
So yes, better to stop this branch...

Sure, I adore tipping professionals for doing their f**king jobs . . .

We’re talking about de-motivation. Participation trophies. Some US school districts have done away with academic awards, ranking the top students in a class, etc., because they don’t want to hurt the feelings of those not as smart or those that didn’t put in the effort. Some districts are doing away with gifted classes. Why would anyone put forth any effort if everything has been dumbed down for the functionally illiterate masses?

🤣😂
Reminds me of a sabbatical I spend in the halls of a Scots University: Students class scores WITH THEIR NAMES were posted on the wall for all to see. In the US, we can't even use code names or student numbers and post scores on the wall.

(Though that was awhile back, and these days I presume even in Scotland course marks are posted on secured web sites only the student can see.)

I wonder if the "Everybody gets a trophy" mentality is tied to the "if you don't make big bucks (or high grades, or win the sporting event) you are a worthless human" aspect of American life. We don't want to demean folks who we know are decent

One of the things I have discovered in recent years of social media use is how people get all worked up when someone posts something that sounds outrageous. For example, during the famed barrage of misinformation spread by Russian bots, people I know flew into a rage and helped spread the lie that schools no longer were allowed to use the pledge of allegiance. I adopted the belief that if anything sounds outrageous, it probably isn't true, and checking things out usually showed that to be the case. Every day my news feed contains fact checks showing that some piece of misinformation spreading across the Internet is false. The people spreading the misinformation think it is true; they have simply been fooled.

For example, as a career educator (both a teacher and an administrator), I participated in several committees investigating the issue of awarding top students for their performances. I have read a number of articles about it. The only time you hear mention the idea of protecting the fragile egos of lower performing students is from sources outside the debate falsely assuming that is what is going on. No one within the debate is concerned about that. It is quite a complicated issue, and here are just a few points that indicate that complexity.
  • Students going for top awards frequently game the system, avoiding the difficult classes and the teachers with reputations as tougher graders. While avoiding the teachers with tougher grading standards, they seek out the ones with a reputation for an easy A. There are clear cases where students angling for a top GPA award got lesser educations because of this practice.
  • In a school where I worked, a co-valedictorian had a transcript that included credit for Typing I, Typing II, Typing III, Word Processing I, Word Processing II, Word Processing III, and Word Processing IV. In the discussions that followed, it was argued that at least half the school had a tougher schedule than she did.
  • The very smartest student I ever had was admitted to Yale early admission during his junior year. He had scored a 5 (top score) on every AP class he had taken and a bunch of AP exams he took on his own without taking a class. He was not the school's valedictorian though. Having taken all the science classes we offered, he had taken a physics class at a nearby college. His "B" in that class was the highest score in that class, and the only "B" the professor gave out. Most of the college students in that class failed the course. That "B" kept him from being valedictorian.
  • Weighted grade systems (higher values for tougher classes) have a slew of problems, including identifying which classes get the higher values, and students have whole new, inventive ways to game that system.

I adopted the belief that if anything sounds outrageous, it probably isn't true, and checking things out usually showed that to be the case.
Man, I wish more people came to that conclusion. It's getting scary to see who many people believe stuff they read on fb or seen on youtube (or even fox news). We used to watch Alex Jones and stuff like that 15 years ago and laughed at what a wackjob he was. Now you have people who actually believe that stuff. It really blows my mind.
The people spreading the misinformation think it is true; they have simply been fooled.
Yeah, especially with all that new deep fake stuff it's getting more and more scary. I've had overwise smart co-workers and some friends over the last few years tell me about totally wacky conspiracy theories... and and seeminly buying into them too. Got much worse with rona. It's effing crazy.
Some people definately shouldn't be allowed to home school their kids.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom