Don't use a dive computer?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is she going to be your buddy? Because if one of you is using tables, and the other a computer, it's almost certain that the computer will give you more time, while she will be ready to ascend. So then what? Are you going to have an underwater discussion about whether you can stay down longer or follow her plan? If you're a good buddy, you will follow your buddy when they ascend. So then you are automatically on her dive plan anyway, why waste the money on a computer if you're not really going to use it?

Perhaps you come from a generation that has such pervasive computer exposure that you can't imagine not having a computer to assist you. Did you know that the "computers" in WW2 were humans that did math really fast/well? Yes, human brains are really capable of complex calculations, and those tables aren't really all that complex. Just because your instructor said computers are safer doesn't mean it is necessarily so. People do get bent on computers. Computers are not infalliable. Look in the section on computers...

Wow... I cant believe how rude and snobby I sounded since I read my first post. Now that I have let off a bit of steam, I can really see where you guys are coming from. Yes, my Aunt has more experience as me, and yes, I am extremely lucky to have someone pay for a fantastic vacation. I shouldn't get hung up on little things like her paying for a dive computer. If anything, I will try to learn how to use dive tables in the time between the trip in October and now. That way I wont have to pay any money at all and I will be a smarter diver. Does anyone have a good resource for learning dive tables? That would be much appreciated :D.

Wow... I cant believe how rude and snobby I sounded since I read my first post. Now that I have let off a bit of steam, I can really see where you guys are coming from. Yes, my Aunt has more experience as me, and yes, I am extremely lucky to have someone pay for a fantastic vacation. I shouldn't get hung up on little things like her paying for a dive computer. If anything, I will try to learn how to use dive tables in the time between the trip in October and now. That way I wont have to pay any money at all and I will be a smarter diver. Does anyone have a good resource for learning dive tables? That would be much appreciated :D.
Here you go: Dive Planning forms, tables & formulas

Post your questions here, you'll get plenty of help.

Well frankly if I lived on an island paradise I may only make one dive a day. Assuming a single tank and a little attention to table limits a computer would essentialy generate trivia data. Also if said diver is a power breather their risk exposure while single tank diving is inherently limited. Plenty of divers make frequent moderate dives with nothing more than a depth gauge and SPG and some will call the SPG optional.

The dive computer is truly useful when:
1) Your depth, your dives are long and deep enough and your consumption is low enough that you are ending for NFL.

2) Your dives are multilevel and with a deep dip that penalizes you such that you hit your NDL and need to terminate with excess air.

3) You are on a dive intensive outing making 2+ dives per day, like 4-5 , perhaps using nitrox and the table penalties and Nitrogen & O2 exposure calculations will take all the fun out of things.

My point is that in a good many situations a computer (even a watch) is entirely optional. There are however many instances where a computer will enhance the experience and allow better dive management. If I were on a dive intensive trip in the tropics I would want one.

Pete

As a brand new diver, I dove with tables alone. It's not the end of the world. If you can't afford a dive computer for this trip, just hang out with your aunt. At the very worst, you will have a kick-ass time looking at the underwater world. I purchased my dive computer after I'd had a handful of dives and I find it a convenient and safe alternative to working the tables. I disagree with your aunt's assessment of people who use computers, but if I forgot my computer on a trip I'd work the tables. No big deal. So enjoy your vacation-- computer or not and ease up on your aunt!

Ask her why she needs to spend money on an SPG. If she knows her consumption rate she can calculate that too.

An SPG is a complete waste of money. That's what a J-valve is for.

Impress your aunt and mount a PADI wheel planner on your BCD so you can recalculate on the fly.:wink:

Ironically, I use tables on decompression dives and only have computers for backup. I rely on computers for those lazy recreational dives where I don't do any real planning, so your aunt is basically right.

...snip... And I made a mistake when I said "maximize bottom time." I'm not going to wait seconds until my DC time is coming to the end, I just believe that electronics nowadays are more accurate than crude tables. ...snip...

It might surprise you to learn that the algorithm inside that computer is also based on the tables. Electronics aren't "more accurate" than the tables, but they DO account for multi-level profiles, and they adjust your SI based on that additional (unused) time. Therein lies the primary advantage of a computer; additional bottom time based on mult-level profiles, shorter SI (for that unused portion) and the ability to compute the same profiles using different gas mixes.

When my sister was in high school, she had to be tested on proficiency with a slide rule before she was allowed to use a hand-held calculator. When I came along, we were allowed to use a calculator after we could do the math on paper, but not a slide rule. I use a calculator for convenience now, but I can do all the math by hand.

Likewise, I wouldn't THINK about heading off across the ocean with only my GPS to guide me to another continent. I'd plan the trip with a chart, compass and dividers. Then, I'd turn on the GPS and ask it to take me where I wanted to go .... all the while, plotting away on my charts. If the GPS flunks out, I would always know where I am and how to get where I'm going, but still enjoying the convenience of the GPS.

The same is true (for me) with the dive computer. Like many who have responded to you, I like to plan my dives with the tables (for safety), then enjoy the convenience of the computer and the additional bottom time that it gives on multi-level dives. But be aware, there will be a difference in the plan from the tables and the time that you have remaining on the computer when you've reached the limit of the plan.

Your underwater computer is MUCH more likely to suffer a saltwater catastrophe or a dead battery than your underwater dive tables are. IMHO, it's best to know the tables intimately, then enjoy the convenience of the computer.

You specifically asked "Is she a safe person to be with?" I'd answer yes; she's diving a more conservative profile than someone with a dive computer. I'd dive with your aunt and enjoy it. Sounds like she has enough experience to be able to share quite a bit. I think few, if any of us, know as much about diving as we could.

You mentioned memorizing the tables earlier. NONE of us have memorized the entire tables. However, in your post #33, you alluded to "learning the tables". I would hope that you already know how to use them. Was that not part of your certification training? Can you get certified without learning how to use the tables now?

I greatly admire the stance you've taken in your last post. Have a safe, fun time, then be sure to come back afterward and tell us all about your trip!

It might surprise you to learn that the algorithm inside that computer is also based on the tables. .....
I don't think so.

Both tables and dive computers are based on "Decompression Theory" ... that itself is NOT an exact science but is indeed a best guess of absorption and release of inert gasses by our body (the diffusion model).

Dive Tables give you a ROUGH estimate.
Dive Computers give you a DETAILED estimate.
In both cases ... they are just ESTIMATES :D

Alberto (aka eDiver)

As I said earlier:
A dive computer is just a cartoon of a decompression model, a set of tables is a series of snapshots of a decompression model ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom