Dry glove help please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tkdgodess

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I want drygloves... I've read threads, looked at websites, and I am not a gearhead. I just like to know what functions, be done with it and just dive.

What brand/type do I need? Do they exist?

I want drygloves to fit on existing neoprene tuck-under seals. I want to have an inner seal so if the glove leaks I don't get soaked.

Is there a glove system I can buy & do it myself, or should I find a local manufacturer who can do it for me?

TIA

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any "stock" ring-style dryglove systems that work with neoprene wrist seals.

Short of swapping out your wrist seals for latex ones, I think your only option is to go with drygloves that have their own wrist seal like these Nordic Blue ones.

I suppose that it might be possible to install suit-side rings while still leaving the neoprene wrist seals intact. I have never personally seen such a setup, however.

Around here, DUI drysuit divers get the DUI-brand zip-seal drygloves. People who own other drysuit brands have latex wrist seals and choose the ring-style dryglove systems offered by Si-tech, Viking, or Diving Concepts. All of these systems seem to work reliably.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck with your dryglove search.

I guess I was thinking that some kind of ring system could be installed on the neoprene seal, with a new inner latex wrist seal as part of the ring set up, and the glove goes on the ring. I would be essentially wrecking my neoprene seals with the ring stretching them out, but I would be able to add a latex wrist seal on the inside, then screw on the gloves.

Does that make sense?

I just didn't want to get the rings I've seen which DO attach to the neoprene seals then the gloves go on, without that wrist seal as back up. That's why I've avoided dry gloves, but I'm pretty much going to have to that way. I rather have cool hands than a wet suit. I am getting arthritis in my left hand and the cold is making that hand quite useless...(not diving but in day to day life AFTER a dive...)

I just didn't want to get the rings I've seen which DO attach to the neoprene seals then the gloves go on, without that wrist seal as back up. That's why I've avoided dry gloves, but I'm pretty much going to have to that way.
Which company makes dryglove rings that attach to neoprene wrist seals?

I think you're letting the possibility of a dryglove leak, which is a very rare event (assuming the system is installed/maintained properly), dictate your gear choice too much. Cold hands (due to not wearing drygloves) causes a loss of dexterity during and after the dive. That's a safety issue that occurs on every dive. I'd rather go without a backup wrist seal and just deal with the leak if it ever happens.

It's never been to the point of it being a safety issue. Ever. I am a recreational diver generally using an AL80 or steel 130 who is limited by NDL and Air. My hands are never not capable of doing what my mind tells them too.

Back in the olden days noone would have called wet gloves a safety issue, just something to deal with. Geesh.

It's never been to the point of it being a safety issue. Ever. I am a recreational diver generally using an AL80 or steel 130 who is limited by NDL and Air. My hands are never not capable of doing what my mind tells them too.

Back in the olden days noone would have called wet gloves a safety issue, just something to deal with. Geesh.
I was using the term "safety" in a very broad sense. It was meant to include scenarios in which a diver would be called upon to help out a dive buddy with an issue (entanglement, malfunctioning gear, etc.) or effect a rescue (unclip weight pockets, doff buddy's rig, etc.).

FWIW, I never said that wet gloves are a safety issue. To clarify, hands that lack sufficient dexterity are. From personal experience, prior to getting drygloves, I recall doing 1 hr. dives during which my non-arthritic hands were so cold that I couldn't operate bolt snaps, unclip my weight pockets, or break down my gear (immediately after the dive). Fortunately, it doesn't sound like your hands have ever gotten this cold during a dive.

So which company makes dryglove rings that can be mounted on neoprene wrist seals?

There is at least one seal system that apparently works with neoprene as well as latex seals. About two weeks ago I saw some dry glove rings at Nanaimo Dive Outfitters (Nanaimo Dive Outfitters) that apparently worked on both neo and latex seals. The gloves theses rings used (sorry - can't remember brand of the rings) were the cheap flexible marigold type that stretch over the ring. This system seems to be a very popular configuration on Vancouver Island at the moment although I have not used that type myself. I am pretty sure that this dive shop would be very helpful to provide more information about the brand and any limitations on seal compatibility if you contacted them directly and would be delighted to sell you some - were about CAN $80 I think.

I have done many dives using dry gloves and highly recommend having a back up seal as well as the dry glove system. The pressure between the two gas spces is easily balanced with a bit of cord or similar under the seal (which is removed if the glove gets punctured or otherwise fails). I use the older model SI Tech system and have had a lot of success with that, but have had gloves leak due to cuts by barnacles etc on dives as well as occasional failures due to operator error. These rings need to be pressed together evenly to avoid the o-ring becoming unseated.

While this system is designed to be used on latex seals, I have also used it with a neoprene seal by gluing a second latex seal on top of the original neo seals just to mount the dry suit rings. After the rings were glued on the outer latex seals were trimmed back so they didn't interfere with the neo seals. This sounds convoluted but was actually very simple to do and worked very well.

Hope that is useful.

The Diving Concepts Snap-OnTM Dryglove kit can be attached to existing latex or neoprene wrist seals. Dry Glove and Wrist System

I guess I was thinking that some kind of ring system could be installed on the neoprene seal, with a new inner latex wrist seal as part of the ring set up, and the glove goes on the ring. I would be essentially wrecking my neoprene seals with the ring stretching them out, but I would be able to add a latex wrist seal on the inside, then screw on the gloves.

Does that make sense?

Yes, look at this. This is what you want to glue into your suit. Remove your current seals, glue this on, add either silicon or latex seals with the system. Then take link 2 and stretch them over. If you don't like this permanent system, look at link 3 which goes over your current seals and will compress the neo. You will use the same glove (link 2) for either :wink:

Si Tech Permanent Wrist Rings for Dry Gloves - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

Pullover Rubber Gloves for Dry Glove System - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

Si Tech Rubber Pullover Dry Glove Rings - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

If you install the first link (we can install for you as well), you could also add this dry glove system to it. This is designed to go over the Permanent wrist system.
http://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/glove-lock-glove-system-p-2494.html

Trying to figure out how to use Diving Concept ring system with DUI zip-seal equipped CF200.

Any tips or warnings would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom