Drysuit certification really needed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would suggest that at a minimum solid mentoring should be sought out although with so few dives proper instruction would be preferred. Are there any clubs in your area?

I would suggest that at a minimum solid mentoring should be sought out although with so few dives proper instruction would be preferred. Are there any clubs in your area?

Parrot island divers. I don’t know many of them at this particular moment though. Just know the instructors.

For someone who certified OW dry (just as >99% of the divers in my part of the world do), the idea of a drysuit course seems rather meaningless. I guess it's different if you certify outside drysuit country.

I got a drysuit card with my OW card, though. Seemed like a good idea if I ever were to travel abroad and needed to rent all my gear including a drysuit. Never had any question about a drysuit cert back home where it's generally assumed that if you have a domestic cert, you're able to dive local conditions and with the gear needed to dive local conditions.

For someone who certified OW dry (just as >99% of the divers in my part of the world do), the idea of a drysuit course seems rather meaningless. I guess it's different if you certify outside drysuit country.

I got a drysuit card with my OW card, though. Seemed like a good idea if I ever were to travel abroad and needed to rent all my gear including a drysuit. Never had any question about a drysuit cert back home where it's generally assumed that if you have a domestic cert, you're able to dive local conditions and with the gear needed to dive local conditions.
At the time of my ow certification I honestly didn’t even know drysuits was a thing at all. I did purchase all my gear needed to dive before my first course. Being this is something I have always wanted to do. I knew I would live it. I have everything but a tank. That’s the only thing I did not purchase being I live 2 hours from the closest filling station. I figured renting tanks would be better all the way around.

At the time of my ow certification I honestly didn’t even know drysuits was a thing at all. I did purchase all my gear needed to dive before my first course. Being this is something I have always wanted to do. I knew I would live it. I have everything but a tank. That’s the only thing I did not purchase being I live 2 hours from the closest filling station. I figured renting tanks would be better all the way around.

Something to note: if your BC was bought with tropical diving in mind, it may not have enough lift to handle a drysuit.

Are you from Iceland ? :)

In 1976 when my buddy and I bought Poseidon Unisuits (orange with the neck to mid chest crotch zipper), you just bought the suit, walked out the dive shop door and into the water. Instruction consisted of reading the manual that came with it and following it. Every drysuit I had after that (SAS-Z90, Viking, DUI, etc...) worked on the same principles so never did take a course. Looking back on it seems like a course would have been a good idea if one was available. Only takes a few times of having your fins blow off and the occasional uncontrolled ascent to make you realize you don't know everything. Drysuits become pretty intuitive pretty quickly but there is a learning curve.

My 2psi, Mark

Something to note: if your BC was bought with tropical diving in mind, it may not have enough lift to handle a drysuit.
Good point. Some time ago, there was a trend here on SB about having the minimum capacity wing possible. I dive single (steel) tank setup, but both from experience and from calculations I know that 30# is the absolute minimum lift I need given my gear config. My wing has a 40# lift, which gives me a pretty comfortable margin. I can live with the extra drag.

If your wing/BCD isn't able to float your rig including any fixed or ditchable weights on your rig, you might want to reconsider your BCD's capacity.

Are you from Iceland ? :)
One of the other Nordic countries.

I got a drysuit card with OW, as well. Great Lakes diving here. And cold quarries.

Back
Top Bottom