DSS Backplate and Transplate Harness question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverJohnATL

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So after three days of browsing and scouring the boards while on vacation dreaming of diving I've got a couple of questions that I just haven't gotten quite satisfied yet.

So I'm giving very serious thoughts to going the BP/W route. I was all set to get my custom Zeagle Brigade but peer pressure (aka you people) have made me seriously reconsider this given what I believe I wish to do with my diving eventually(caves/doubles/decompression) not just recreational. So here comes the setup and the questions.

1. Anyone regret going the BP/W route? I've only seen two yes's thus far, if so why?
2. I plan on buying from DSS the BP/Wing and will buy what Tobin tells me I need. I dive rather warm water (Bahamas /Fiji) and often use no wetsuit. How uncomfortable are these without all the padding like with the Brigade ? (which pretty much was making love to my body without exposure protection) I've read in water......it disappears, out of water.....ehhhhh, not the greatest necessarily. I really don't want to feel steel digging into anything on me.
3. The Transplate harness, do any of you use it on the DSS plates? Do any of you like or hate the transplate harness?
4. Do you find the Hogarthian harness "pinches" your underarms at all?
5. How is traveling with your DSS BP/W??

I think that about covers my questions for now

John

1. Nope - it was the only rig to fit me correctly
2. Did pool sessions with a pair of HP120's on my back with a 3mm shorty - no pain
3. Used to - its just too much "useless clutter", and plastic to possibly break
4. No. I will add if you want softer webbing, HOG has some, though unnecessary (but the RED is cool!). FWIW you can add some inexpensive shoulder pads (DR sells the pads independent of the TP Harness) if you are so inclined.
5. Unknown as I only do car travel..

1. Anyone regret going the BP/W route? I've only seen two yes's thus far, if so why?

If you are considering doing caves, doubles, deco, etc., someday, it's not like you really have a choice. I'm a purely recreational diver, and my DSS BP/W rig suits me fine. I dived with a Zeagle Express Tech for a long time before that. I don't have anything against jacket-style BCs, but I don't see any advantages to them over a BP/W either.

2. I plan on buying from DSS the BP/Wing and will buy what Tobin tells me I need. I dive rather warm water (Bahamas /Fiji) and often use no wetsuit. How uncomfortable are these without all the padding like with the Brigade ? (which pretty much was making love to my body without exposure protection) I've read in water......it disappears, out of water.....ehhhhh, not the greatest necessarily. I really don't want to feel steel digging into anything on me.

Tobin is happy to help even those of us in The ATL. With no wetsuit at all, a BP/W harness with no extra padding may very well dig into your shoulders or otherwise be uncomfortable. You really should be using a thin wetsuit, even in warm water, to protect against marine life injuries if nothing else. A 3 mm provides enough padding that you wouldn't feel the harness.

3. The Transplate harness, do any of you use it on the DSS plates? Do any of you like or hate the transplate harness?

What's wrong with the DSS harness? I bought a complete DSS rig, including plate, wing and harness. No hassle that way.

Nope. I was skeptical of the whole BP/W thing, especially the idea of this harness with bare webbing against my body. But it really is surprisingly comfortable, provided you have some sort of exposure suit as I mentioned above.

I assume you mean traveling by air. If you buy the steel plate rather than the Kydex plate, you have to contend with a few more pounds of weight in your luggage, so depending on the airline and your circumstances, that may or may not be an issue for you. I take the steel plate when I fly down to the Keys for a weekend because all I need are my dive gear, a pair or shorts, t-shirts, etc. However, if I were taking a big international trip where I have a lot of stuff with me and every pound counts, I would get the DSS Kydex plate (or an aluminum plate if not from DSS). By the way, a BP/W packs very compactly--much more so than a bulky jacket-style BC. Other than the weight of the plate in the case of steel, the BP/W is an ideal configuration for travel. As far as whether DSS's BP/W is better or worse than any other, I really can't say. I read many threads on here where people voiced opinions, but in the end I finally just pulled the trigger and bought from DSS for little reason beyond Tobin's participation on SB. I could just as well have bought HOG brand and, I'm sure, been happy with it. Diver's Supply in Marietta carries HOG, by the way. Had I known that at the time, I might have bought my rig there.

So I'm giving very serious thoughts to going the BP/W route. I was all set to get my custom Zeagle Brigade but peer pressure (aka you people) have made me seriously reconsider this given what I believe I wish to do with my diving eventually(caves/doubles/decompression) not just recreational. So here comes the setup and the questions.

Because of this, you should go with BP/W. I don't think Zeagle brigade will get you that far.

1. Yes, one of my very close dive buddy prefer his zeagle ranger more than a set of Halcyon Infiniti. He actually bought Infiniti to try for a few monthes, ended up selling the Infiniti. So BP/W isn't for everyone. Just like tech/cave diving isn't for everyone.

2. I have never felt uncomfortable in water with bare plate and basic harness. On land, they are not as comfortable. If you need to do some hiking with your rig, then some padding will definite help.

3. Go with basic harness first. If you still feel like you need the comfort harness, then get Transplate. Basic harness is cheap. You won't waste much money switching. Chances are you will like basic harness. If you try transplate (~$120) first and feel like you want basic, it costs more for you.

I started with DR transplate myself. It was OK. Quite comfortable on land. In water, basic harness is more comfortable. Transplate's shoulder padding is poorly design, and not comfortable at all.

4. When adjusted properly. hogarthian harness is more comfortable than DR transplate.

5. BP/W travel just fine. If you do a lot of air travel to warm water, I will suggest DSS Kydex plate.

I switched from a Ranger LTD to a DSS plate a couple months ago. I prefer the basic harness to the pads, etc. It is secure and "freeing". Also much easier to clip things off with less fluff hanging around.

I recently picked up a used Kydex plate for travel and more weighting flexibility with doubles. I just cut off the transplate harness because I will be switching it to a basic harness. I cut it off because the way the transplate harness is rigged it was far easier than trying to take it apart. The basic harness is a lot easier to adjust. I will be reusing the D-rings and such. Also a small point...but the waist buckle that DSS uses is far nicer than any others I have seen.

I notice a little shoulder tugging when walking but not bad. Currently wear a dive skin and hooded vest and it is still perfectly comfortable.

I switched from a Zeagle Brigade to a DSS BP/W. No regrets.

I use the standard Hogarthian harness and have no complaints. I don't see the need for any "comfort" or "deluxe" harnesses and no, there is no pinching.

I have no problems traveling with my SS BP/W.

And I've NEVER felt the need for any padding, even when hiking in full gear over rough and loose lava in Hawaii. I certainly don't want to carry any extra lead to sink any padding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John

Only regrets most people have is not doing it sooner.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Alright, I did it!

I have a DSS SS Medium BP single tank 26lb Torus wing combo pack headed my way with the Glide Harness release thingy. :) I guess this means I've officially gone to the dark side now. I'm really looking forward to getting this thing on and trying it out. :) May have to go take a trip to the pool for some "finessing" and to feel the "freedom". Thanks all for your input and for answering my questions. I appreciate it. I'm sure I'll be back with questions about the Hog harness, etc. :)

Alright, I did it!

I have a DSS SS Medium BP single tank 26lb Torus wing combo pack headed my way with the Glide Harness release thingy. :) I guess this means I've officially gone to the dark side now. I'm really looking forward to getting this thing on and trying it out. :) May have to go take a trip to the pool for some "finessing" and to feel the "freedom". Thanks all for your input and for answering my questions. I appreciate it. I'm sure I'll be back with questions about the Hog harness, etc. :)

Exact same setup I chose as my first BP/W-style BC, probably because you told Tobin something about your anticipated diving that was pretty similar to what I told him about mine. It couldn't be simpler. I can't see ever going back to a jacket-style BC--just too much unnecessary stuff.

If you are very narrow across the shoulders, the harness may dig into your upper arms. I solved that by crossing my straps behind my neck when I wove the harness; it also keeps the straps from falling off your shoulders.

Back
Top Bottom