Eagle Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bgretzler

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We are going to be diving soon and were asked if we would like to dive the eagle. This will be our first dive after open water certification. Any thoughts on if this would be good or show we try to go to another location?

I wouldn't recommend. It's actually one of my favorite wrecks, but it is deep for a new diver. Just my opinion.

Get some dives under your belt, get comfortable, then consider it.

Agreed. It's been a number of years since I was on the Eagle, but I would not recommend it to someone fresh out of open water. Bottom if I recall is 120 fsw or deeper, with the wreck only coming up to 75-80 at most. Not sure what the current situation is like there, but on most of the deeper wrecks in the upper Keys (Duane, Spiegel Grove) it can rip. That's not something to tackle fresh off your cert dives.

The one time I dove it was my second-closest call in diving; short version is I was stupid. Long version is that it was a 3-tank wreck dive (Duane, Eagle, Spiegel Grove); a) we had an odd number of divers aboard and b) I was the only one who shelled out for three tanks of nitrox (I think there was one other buddy team on the boat using nitrox, and only for the first dive on the Duane). That put me in a trio with two air divers; they went up, I decided to wait around at the ascent line for a few more minutes. The last divers in the group were starting up when a big goliath grouper came around for a close pass and I decided to stay for a few pictures. A few minutes later, I check my gauge and find out I'm at 80 fsw with 500 psi. Not a situation I want to get into again. That was after being certified for a little over two years, doing advanced as part of a scientific dive training course, and racking up about 70 dives. Proves that even divers with a fair bit of experience and training can still put themselves in a bad situation through stupidity. :no:

The reputable ops in the keys would not take you on that dive with just an OW cert. They require AOW or logged proof of recent deep experience to take you. Just who is asking you if you'd like to do it? I hope it's not a shop or instructor that may be organizing a trip. Please don't let them talk you into it if it is. It's not safe and is below your recommended limits with most agencies. A couple cert OW divers to 100ft but you get the knowledge and training to do it with a strong admonition to work up to that depth.

The Eagle is a great dive, but do yourself a favor by getting more experience and training first. This will increase your comfort level and and confidence, and will make for a much more enjoyable dive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

plus one...

eagledive.jpeg

Wait until you're at least AOW and get some experience first. I wouldn't even try it with a guide at your present level.

beautiful picture -- i do agree on waiting and Jim's right about the ops wanting AOW or with an instructor (not guide).

that being said - i'm interested in diving it sometime in the fall.

Absolutely not. Period. None of the three deep wrecks as stated above. You will have enough task loading without being narced and your air disappearing 2-3 times as fast as you are used to and the natural adreanline of that first dive past cert. I would not even recommend doing it with an instructor.

If you are in the Keys and want to see some metal you can always dive the Benwood or the Washington. Not big ships but much shallower and usually little current and lots of pretty fish.

all of the above is correct...nice photo bilsant.

Thanks....I didn't take it but its my favorite photo of the Eagle...only partially because its also one of the few pictures I"m in that doesn't add ten pounds!

Conditions were perfect that day....a great dive!

But again to the OP - not a beginners dive....

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom