eBay's ridiculousness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buying used requires patience. Check often, know the price of the item brand new and buy when the time comes. Don't rush. Also, don't buy used regulators.

Good advice about the used regulators.... everyone, please STOP bidding on them IMMEDIATELY so the prices will come down and I can afford to buy a few more :D

Seriously, I've bought 3 regulators in the last 6 months on ebay, all WELL used, with the intention of rebuilding them. Two were Zeagle Flathead VI regs for about 20% of their original retail price. I rebuilt them, and now have 2 "just like new" high-end regs. Cost of rebuild parts for the two regs was $32 per regulator, bought online at retail prices from ZeagleExpress. The third reg was a Mares MR-12 Voltrex, to be used on pony/stage bottles. Same story as the Zeagle regs as far as cost.

ebay can be a good place to buy gear, but "buyer beware" does apply. For regs, I do tend to agree with jiveturkey if you are not going to be servicing them yourself, unless you can get a GREAT deal on the price and know what you are looking for.

Best wishes.

I bought two regulators off Ebay a couple of months ago: One was a US divers Aquarius and the other was a US Divers Conshelf XI. I Paid $29.00 for the Aquarius (including shipping) and $12.00 for the Conshelf (including shipping). Both came with working SPGs. The Aquarius needed only a good cleaning and two new O rings and the Conshelf was rebuilt using new Titan parts. Total cost of the servicing for both regs was $60.

I do agree that some good deals can be found on ebay. I guess im just getting upset about this BC and getting kinda nit picky. the kicker is theres over a day left on the auction so im thinking it will shoot up even more in price and will easily pass my target used price on good items of about 75% retail

Dang! .. you just had to link to ebay didn't you!

... now I just went and bought something and it's all your fault! :mooner: :wink: :D

I do agree that some good deals can be found on ebay. I guess im just getting upset about this BC and getting kinda nit picky. the kicker is theres over a day left on the auction so im thinking it will shoot up even more in price and will easily pass my target used price on good items of about 75% retail

...if you are OK with paying 75% of retail, then I wouldn't worry...if you get get beaten on this particular unit, there's plenty more fish in the sea, especially if you are somewhat flexible on your requirements and are shopping for a common BC (like a Zeagle Ranger). 75% of retail is more than what I'd pay, and I think higher than most other bidders would pay, so I think you will soon 'win' another auction, if not this one.

Some eBay bidders don't know about Leisure Pro.

IM,

I have seen the same thing. Items going for more than they are worth. People bid on things that you can buy at leisure pro at the same or cheaper price. I was looking at a UK SL6 light for a backup, Leisure Pro had it at 28.00, Ebay was at 36.00 plus shippingand it sold.

It also can get to be a issue of just wanting to win the item no matter what the cost.

I just snipe the auctions to get what I want.

Hey hey hey!! :no: Don't give away the secrets or I won't be able to get any more good stuff! :wink:

Dang! .. you just had to link to ebay didn't you!

... now I just went and bought something and it's all your fault! :mooner: :wink: :D

Ebay is like gambling. Dont bet (bid) more than you can afford to lose.

ok people usually bash buying gear on ebay but I saw what looked like a good deal on a BC I just placed my bid on it and it needs weight pockets 50 bucks. I bid 160 and am auto outbid. bc is lightly used and retails around 400. Am I just being extra cheap or is that crazy for price to get that high. im trying to save some cash on my bc and mine is getting to uncomfortbly old stage so figured lightly used would be a reasonable idea
To each his own, with regard to eBay buying strategies. I will tell you mine, primarily as one example of what might be a reasonable price. Background: I have purchased dive computers, a DPV, backplates, wings, regulators, fins, wetsuits, and a variety of small scuba items on eBay. I have had a problem only twice. The first time, a BP harness was not the advertised size, and the seller quickly accepted it back and refunded the
price and shipping. The other time, a second stage housing on a regulator was cracked when I received it (but I didn't notice for 6 months until I decided to service and use it). I replaced the housing for $17 and the total price was still VERY attractive for the unit.

My buying approach: 1) I never pay more than 50% of the best (usually online) new retail price I can find for an identical new item. I prefer to pay less. 2) I ONLY buy items (brand and model) that I am familiar with, and that I actually want / need. I do not buy for future resale. 3) I limit my gear purchases to a specific set of brands (that I can usually service myself, or that our shop carries), usally including Apeks, Zeagle and Dive Rite. The specific brands are not important. The fact that I limit my consideration is.

This approach means that I let a lot of items go, because the bidding gets out of hand. If you look at those items for which the bids seem quite / too high, it is my observation that more often than not the leading / winning bidder has very few previous transactions, suggesting inexperience. A disciplined buyer on eBay can do well, but they HAVE to be patient.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom