eBay's ridiculousness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will vote 1 for many inexperienced bidders. Some just don't the know the value of what they are buying and want it at whatever cost. There re others that simply get caught up in the bidding and bid more for the item then you can buy it new. I have seen items go for 20-50% more than I could buy them in the local store.

I wouldnt buy a used reg unless i was pretty familiar with it, Knowing parts are easily available and the service wont push the price up to remotely near new ie 50% new price

1+ what Colliam7 said. Spot on advice.

I make sure I know what the item sold for NEW, and that I can easily get parts for it, and know what the parts cost... then just decide what is is worth TO ME and bid accordingly. I've lost FAR more auctions than I've won because a certain reg was worth more to someone else :D

Best wishes.

I have bought a couple of nice scuba items from Ebay. However, I started to see that a number of items that I lost the bid on were bought, split up, and sold as pieces. I quit Ebay.

I now do Craigslist. In this case I keep searching for what I want and have researched, so I know what the value is, and I get to see it in person! I have been very happy with Craigslist, and since I see before I buy (with some exceptions) I have really got some quality gear.

I have sold a few scuba items on ebay but the few cheaper items I bought on ebay didn't work out. Regarding musical items..guitars and guitar foot pedals...I've had good luck buying and selling.

For me the key to selling on ebay is to take good pictures, write good copy including the reason you are selling and setting a price you can live with as the minimum and letting it go from there. In some cases I've increased the minimum price on an item that didn't sell previously and this time it sold!

As a buyer, look at the rating...percent as well as number of transactions,good descriptions and pictures and ask questions if necessary.

Ultimately, you have to know how much something should sell for. I always look to see what similar items went for on ebay in the past.

The best items whether you are a buyer or a seller are things that are no longer made. If someone really wants it you can set a higher initial price. If you really want it you can justify paying more. If it's something currently available it's hard to do that.

Lastly, there are some items that are just popular. Stick to those and if you don't like your purchase you will have an easier time selling it as long as you bought it at the right price in the first place.

I haven't had much luck with scuba gear and therefore quit trying but I know others have (as mentioned in the posts above).

What do they say...ebay is your friend.:D

I just snipe the auctions to get what I want.
The only way to bid! Decide your max, but let the snipe service present it at 5 seconds to close - then pay only enough to beat others. No wars. :thumb:

I've lost to other snipers too. Don't care. They had a max higher than mine but no wars.

I have bought a couple of nice scuba items from Ebay. However, I started to see that a number of items that I lost the bid on were bought, split up, and sold as pieces. I quit Ebay.

While I still use Ebay every once in a while, I was really put off by some of the sleaze-bags there. It was very obvious what they were doing. They had a sock-puppet account and would put in a HUGE bid in the last seconds. Then the seller sends you a "second chance offer" on the item the next day for your MAX bid.

While I still use Ebay every once in a while, I was really put off by some of the sleaze-bags there. It was very obvious what they were doing. They had a sock-puppet account and would put in a HUGE bid in the last seconds. Then the seller sends you a "second chance offer" on the item the next day for your MAX bid.

Well in that case you could just tell them no or negotiate something to get it a little cheaper than your max bid

The only way to bid! Decide your max, but let the snipe service present it at 5 seconds to close - then pay only enough to beat others. No wars. :thumb:

I've lost to other snipers too. Don't care. They had a max higher than mine but no wars.

I noticed a new ebay feature the other day which takes some of the advantage away from these bidding services. It looks like once you have a bid in for an item, Ebay offers you a quick bid option that allows you to respond very quickly in the final few seconds.

Still, bid the max you are willing to pay as late as you can. And don't be disappointed when you don't win. As it turns out, I've come in 2nd fairly often making more $$ for the seller.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom