El Norte?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The DM
What time was the port closed and/or were you advised? Or were you already on a boat?

What's the procedure when the harbor master closes the ports while water sport craft are out?

We were on the boat at our SI. We were getting ready to jump in when the radio call came. The DM saud that the captain would have banged on the boat to get our attention. That might work on the shallow dive, but I doubt it would work on Columbia Deep.

So basically, all boats return to port as soon as all divers are aboard. I take it there is a broadcast then on some marine band? It's oft lamented here that there is no automated / online means to determine if the port is open or closed, but it would seem like one might be able to monitor the appropriate frequency, especially if the closure announcement is repeated periodically. I wonder if there is also a broadcast when the port is closed before boats go out in the morning?

I believe it was about 3:00pm when the call came. It was broadcast on ch6, which is what all the boats monitor .

So Saturday afternoon i looked at wind guru and it looked fine for this week so O booked a short trip after seeing some cheap flights. Then Sunday AM wind guru was showing the front. My plan is to dive Wednesday through Friday. After stepping off the ferry this evening the north wind is howling. I did not see it lapping over Melgar but there are a lot of puddles on the sidewalk. Not optimistic about the morning but hopefully the eveining will be good.

"Howling" is one description. "Ripping" is another .

When i was growing up the weather forcast out of Corpus would show what Barnie and Bow Wow were wearing to explain the forcast, they were a cartoon man and dog. To translate that to Cozumel all the bartenders at the Thirsty Cougar are wearing hoodies right now.

Still sounds plenty rocky out there now, up by Puerto de Abrigo... 5:23am

Still sounds plenty rocky out there now, up by Puerto de Abrigo... 5:23am

Yup. To be fair, the winds were gusting pretty heavy at this time yesterday morning and the port stayed open till 3:00 pm.

We flew out yesterday in the rain. Was at the marina bsing till almost 2 and it hadn't started raining yet but I think around 3 it started in CC area and I definetly got wet walking out to the plane at 430...

In the morning standing on the balcony it seemed windy and maybe outa the north but was suprised the marina was open, curious as to how rough it was out there.

We flew out yesterday in the rain. Was at the marina bsing till almost 2 and it hadn't started raining yet but I think around 3 it started in CC area and I definetly got wet walking out to the plane at 430...

In the morning standing on the balcony it seemed windy and maybe outa the north but was suprised the marina was open, curious as to how rough it was out there.

The winds really died down for the morning dives. It wasn't too bad. I wouldn't have wanted to go to Marecaibo (sp?), but getting to Palancar was fine. The ride back after the port closure was a little rough. I had to stand for most of it. There was no staying dry with the rain blowing south and us heading north, though.

Port just opened

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom